• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Soft Top - Ideas/Opinions needed.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
For those that haven't figured it out already I am currently working on a soft top. The first prototype is close to completion and I'll probably begin the second prototype in a few days. The first one is functionally what i want and includes most of the features I plan to include but is still a little rough. The second one will basically be to clean up the lines to make it look better and add in any features that are not already included. Before I jump into the second one though I want to see if there is anything I should be including that isn't there yet.

Here is a list of features that are planned.
  1. Durable and Quiet - Everything that goes into it has been chosen specifically with the intention of making it last for a long time. Sunbrella and Sea Mark (Sea Mark is Sunbrella with a waterproof vinyl backing embedded into it) for the skin along with Stainless Steel, Aluminum, and Powder Coated Hardware. Heavy marine canvas zippers are used and the windows are heavy duty 0.040 thick DOT approved windows.
  2. Choice of Colors - Up to about 10 colors possible without changing to a different fabric combination.
  3. Installation without drilling holes and relatively easy to put up/take down. I plan to make it such that the entire top can be folded down and stored behind the rear seat.
  4. Option to install a carrier/rack on top - At least 3 mounting points. 1 over the front and 2 over the back. The front one can double as a light bar.
  5. Super Seals along the front, rear, and sides. This is a 3 point contact seal that should keep it well sealed.
  6. Looks - This will obviously be subjective. At the very least I want a nice fitting top that looks pleasing while still being functional. It will have a low profile that is close to the same height as the stock hard top. It will also be available in a half cab version.
  7. Framed door openings with seals included. (Or stock seals can be used)
  8. The sides and back can be completely removed leaving just the top section. Optionally they can be rolled up instead.
  9. Easy tailgate access - The tailgate will be accessible without removing any of the top.
  10. Affordable - My goal is to provide a quality high end top that can be sold for at or below $1000.

Please post your opinions and ideas along with any features I missed above that you consider important.

As a result of this thread I am planning the following.
  1. Option to get more than one set of side panels with the option to have them either clear, tinted, or without windows.
  2. Combination top option which will include skins for both a full top and a half cab top that use the same hardware.

Last edited:

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
Sounds Awesome! The Only Idea Or Question I Can Come Up With Is How Will It Mount To The Windsheild. Just One Thought, For Those That Like To Run A Bikini Top, All Of The Bikini Tops I Have Seen Are For The Fast Track Style Riser Not The Besttop Style Riser. Of Course If You Can Remove Side And Rear Windows Who Needs A Bikini Top.

Of Course I Want One. Give Us A Little Tease And Show Pics Of Your Rough Draft!

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Only question I have right now is about the windows. Knowing the great care one must exersize when washing/removing them, Its possible that the windows would need to be replaced sooner than the life expectancy of the top. Can you expect to address that issue in the future? Being one man I wouldnt consider that to be realistic. But heres a thought, Incorporate a STC or Bestop window into the design for future replacement? Then again maybe that thought is unrealistic.
Reguardless, I hope this product is successful for you.

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
la77 said:
Sounds Awesome! The Only Idea Or Question I Can Come Up With Is How Will It Mount To The Windsheild. Just One Thought, For Those That Like To Run A Bikini Top, All Of The Bikini Tops I Have Seen Are For The Fast Track Style Riser Not The Besttop Style Riser. Of Course If You Can Remove Side And Rear Windows Who Needs A Bikini Top.

Of Course I Want One. Give Us A Little Tease And Show Pics Of Your Rough Draft!
I thought about using the Bestop or STC risers but decided to go with my own riser instead since I don't like either one. (Plus I don't want to rely on either one supplyng them) The Bestop one makes the top hard to install because it has to be slid into the channel on the rig. The STC requires a drop bracket for the wiper and when it's removed you have the extra channel piece to deal with. Instead of either one I made my own that is high enough to clear the wiper motor but has a little more taper towards the ends than the Bestop one. (Which makes it look shorter) It is flat on the front edge and on the corners to accept snaps. (Being flat on the corner was critical to eliminating the extra snap on the windshield frame that the Bestop and STC use) This also made it easier to set up for the door frames to attach to it. If anyone really wants a channel then I think I could put one on the front instead of snaps and substitute the plastic piece that slides into it for the Super Seal.

Here two teaser pics. The first is an early picture after the framework was completed to get an idea of what is under the canvas so to speak. The second one has been doctored to change the top color to black so it matches my doors (The next one will actually be made using the Black Sunbrella/Sea Mark combination). The first prototype is made from the khaki material I use for the trail covers and trail tops instead of black since that was what I had enough extra to use. (Or I thought I did right up until after I cut it and then someone went and ordered a trail cover that is khaki:p )

On the second prototype I plan to make the side windows slightly taller (or rather make the zipper flap slightly shorter to cover less of the window) and about 2" longer in front (To even out the front and back). I may also give it a slight angle at the back depending upon how the corner turns out. (The rear panel isn't done yet so I don't know how much the corner will change) I also may use tinted side windows just to see how it looks. The snaps above the side windows will be eliminated also.

Attachments

• EarlySkin02Med.jpg
    EarlySkin02Med.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,177
  • TopChop.jpg
    TopChop.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,775
OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Jeepster said:
Only question I have right now is about the windows. Knowing the great care one must exersize when washing/removing them, Its possible that the windows would need to be replaced sooner than the life expectancy of the top. Can you expect to address that issue in the future? Being one man I wouldnt consider that to be realistic. But heres a thought, Incorporate a STC or Bestop window into the design for future replacement? Then again maybe that thought is unrealistic.
Reguardless, I hope this product is successful for you.
The Bestop and STC windows will not work. It would be possible to sew new windows in to replace the old ones though. To do so the easiest would be to cut the old ones out and trim the edges up to the fabric. Then sew new ones in. I'm also considering shipping a bottle of the plastic polish with them as long as I don't have to deal with Haz Mat stuff by doing so.

ransil

Bronco Guru
AS long as replacement windows are reasonably priced, I would buy 2 sets, one for the trail and the other for crusin & shows.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks great. If they turn out as good as the covers, I'm sure you will have a lot of luck with it.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
:eek:The Cats out of the bag ;D
Rick looking good. Any chance you would be able to offer tinted window?

BigO

BigFord74 said:
Instead of replacing just the window's, wouldn't it be easier to just sell replacement sides?

If this is possible, that would be great! Maybe even just the option of selling replacement non-window side panels, for going on the trails. I really like that top! Can't wait till you to start production on it!

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
What soft door will fit with this top? I personally like the two peice soft doors myself. Tinted windows would be nice and I think the top looks nice but would prefer a bit of a slant along the back ie: the STC top.

Looks really good though.

Ben

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
I love it. Looks similar to the other top out there that is no longer available to us. I prefer the straight-down back over the slanted back design like a Bestop or STC. It's a well thought out design and I'm sure it will be of quality. You could count me in for one.

Big Rig

Loc.
San Diego, CA
man, those look great!

does the top snap directly to the body along the bedrail? will this require more holes to be drilled?

will tinted windows be an option or would it be possible for us to have them tinted after we get them?

when will i be able to buy mine?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i'm liking what i'm seeing rick. i may be selling my STC to buy one, i'm tired of fighting the fastrac every time i open the back up. any ideas on pricing yet?

never mind, i see pricing. also i like the idea of a half cab soft top!

BigFord74

Loc.
Nixa,Mo
BigO said:
If this is possible, that would be great! Maybe even just the option of selling replacement non-window side panels, for going on the trails. I really like that top! Can't wait till you to start production on it!

Nvr thought of that, would be cool to just have solid panels. Me likie;D

cbford

So, I dont get it, the tinted windows thing. I am not being critical, just curious.
Were your hardtop windows tinted and you prefer this? Is it to hide scratches? Just for looks?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
cbford said:
So, I dont get it, the tinted windows thing. I am not being critical, just curious.
Were your hardtop windows tinted and you prefer this? Is it to hide scratches? Just for looks?
For me tint looks good but on a 4x4 out in the woods at night it's very hard to see out of. Looks great so far Rick good job:cool:

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
cbford said:

Yes my hard top is tinted. Yes I prefere this not for visibility cause yes it is harder to see at night but for the fact of keeping as much direct sun out here in CA off of my 2 and 4 year old;)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 73