• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

460 Engine Conversion Pros/Cons

SILVR6

Loc.
Las Cruces
Looking at a somewhat local Early Bronco 1968 with a 460 engine and C6. I would like to have the most info on the swap before I go and take a look at the Bronco. I have been looking for an EB for almost a year and have done a lot of research in what would best suit my needs for an Early Bronco. I have mosly been looking at slightly modified Broncos with 302's and one 351W equiped rust bucket. I have been looking for info on the 460 swap but can only find info on a big bronco 460 conversion (1978-1979). Is the 460 a good or bad engine for the Early bronco? Dose it weigh to much? I have not seen any other 460 swaped Early Bronco's from here on the forum to my many issues of Bronco Driver. Also what about the C6 is it much better than a C4?Any info on the affects of the conversion would be very aprecaited.

Thanks

Last edited:

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
that is a lot of motor i am not even sure it would fit why do you want that motor for .........351 with the right mod,s can do just about anything

Airborne69

Loc.
Moorpark, CA
I think the biggest concern with a 460 is that it is very big and broncos dont have the most room under the hood. It can be done but it would require alot of work to do so. In my opinion it would be better and cheaper to swap in a built 351 or 302.

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
I have always run big blocks in my full size '77 pickup. The torque is unreal and the power is awesome, unfortunetly they weigh alot and are more expensive to modify then a small block. What are you planning to do with it? Daily driver, trails ,drags, mud?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
If it aallready is in the Bronco, I would think the biggerst issues would be cooling and fuel millage.

If the current owner has the cooling issues figured out, I would say just the shitty gas millage would be my concern.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Speaking with 'some' experience in that area (I run a 400 in my EB trail rig) I can tell you that I would not want a 460 in it if I was going to run serious trails. If yr just looking at it as mainly a play truck on the street and for mild trail use..then don't worry about it..then the 460 is good for the 'wow' factor.

I have run the 429/460 engine in full-sized rigs and wouldn't give that a second thought..but the EB is not so forgiving.

OP
OP
S

SILVR6

Loc.
Las Cruces
Just to clarify things the Bronco that I am going to go see already has the 460 swap complete with the C6.

My plans for the Bronco would be moderate city driving along with trail driving. Living in the Southwest their are alot of rock trails and the Chilie run is very close since I am in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I had a modified 88 F-250that I use to trail run. Being stuck in a car for the past couple of years has made me decide I need a Bronco. Plus the roads suck here in New Mexico!

OP
OP
S

SILVR6

Loc.
Las Cruces
What would be the power and fuel milage difference between the 302, 351, and the 460.

The 302,s I have been looking at have the original 3 speed converted to the floor.

The 351 had a NP435 with granny low.

The 460 with C6 and 4.86 gears.

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
Is this EB you are looking at on ebay by any chance. If so it may just be the one that was brought up in a thread earlier today as a possible scam. I have no further knowledge other than this, that is IF this particular EB is the same one. Other wise, disregaurd what I say and good luck.

Rob

OP
OP
S

SILVR6

Loc.
Las Cruces
Vehicle is supposed to be located near Vaughn, NM. I have a few friends that are truck drivers in the SW that are always on the look out for Bronco's. That dose look like a very decieving post on e-bay though. All I know about the bronco in Vaughn is that it has a 460 and c6 with the 4.86 gears and has a body lift.

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
I'd say it depends on your right foot. If the running gear is still half ton, it will only put up with so much. The added weight is an issue with the front axle. Cooling would be a major concern, drive it and see how it goes. I thought about going to a big block in mine, I sand drag mostly. It was the added weight that kept me from doing it, and the fact that I'd couldn't keep the stupid grin off my face when someone would ask "whats in that thing"

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco Bob at All-4-Fun used to run a 460 efi in his EB and it was hard on parts from what he said. He also had cooling issues and vapor lock issues...but that's what happens when your exhuast is close to everything.

Hopefully the rig you're looking at has got a NP205 behind the C6 instead of the Dana 20, otherwise the output shaft is one weak link. The 9" in the stock 28 spline EB variety isn't up to the task, especially if you're going to be running on rock. You might get away with it for a while in mud, but rock is much less forgiving.

It all depends on the price. Could be a great rig...could be a nightmare. :cool:

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
And I forgot to put in my last post, rear drive shaft length and pinion angle could be problem. The C6/ NP 205 combo is longer then the C4/ Dana 20.Also exhaust routing, fender well headers would be a must.IMO. O.K now I'm done.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
My suggestion, based on your original post, is that you should look for a less radically modified Early Bronco - especially if this is your first one and you are not that familiar with them. Having a 460 adds a lot of complexity to ownership - and having a not very common swap will limit the amount of help you can get here. I'd look for one with a 302 or 351. I think you will be much happier with the handling both on the road and on the trail.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
here's what the squeeze looks like. it's not really worth the issues for a newbie imop.

Attachments

• 460.jpg
    460.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 231

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Hey Nick, Do you have a bigger picture? Or more?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hey guys i have a 460 w/c-6 in my 48 truck no way would i want it in my bronco the wow factor is great like someone said i will be building a 393 stroker in the spring and selling my 460 c-6 that thing makes tons of torque and with the right gearing ( i am running 2.79 right now, but with the 3.50's i had in it it broke the welds and bent the axle tubes on a chevy ten bolt, put an 8 inch in and welded it myself and had no problems, but my foot is a little lighter now%) it is awesome
but i have no overdrive and you have to do your homework on pulleys and accessories it can be done but the 351 is all around a better motor if you buy the 460 and have a heavy foot i see someone like mike at complete offroad liking you or at least getting to know you on a personal basis i could make a case for each engine but in the bronco nah

ponypower77

I have two broncos with big blocks in them one a 460 the other a 429. They both have the c-6 trannies and 205's in them. I have had no major problems with them and would do it again. The weight is not that much of a difference. I live just south of Albuquerque if you wanted to check them out.