• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to get a smog legal 1979 Bronco in CA with a 460 big block?

DR650

I know this may not be the easiest road to tread but I really want a 1978-1979 bronco. There's no other truck thats gonna scratch the itch so here i am trying to understan CA smog law. I've done a fair amount of research but have no hands on expirience with this so i'm a novice. It seems to me it would be a lot easier to smog it with the stock 351 or 400 because they would require less smog equipment since the swapped 460 is gonna require all of the smog equipment from the year of the engine. I'd like a 460 but I think i could be happy with a 400. One of the reasons i'm thinking of a 460 is I really like the value proposition of this truck:

[/URL]

It has new brakes, clean frame, new wiring and seems overall like its in solid shape. I talked to the owner and he said the engine is a built motor the previous owner pulled out of his F350. I know we probably need to know more information about the year of the engine and what mods were done to it to answer with any definiteness but do any of you have a vauge sense of the cost in parts and labor to accomplish getting an engine like that smog legal. I called the owner today and he didn't answer. I will update when he responds.

Also this truck seems like a good deal and, like the previous one, has a built 460 motor:
[/URL]

I'm ok with not buying either of these trucks and finding one with a stock configuration if that's what it takes to get through smog but posts like this make me wonder if its not completly impossible.

Edit: I guess if i wanted more power I could just have the stock 400 bored out? Not sure how/if CARB regulates that.

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Edit: I guess if i wanted more power I could just have the stock 400 bored out? Not sure how/if CARB regulates that.
You don't bore an engine to increase the power...because it does not increase the power. ;-) That aside, I sort of specialize in 400 builds (and admin a FB group that's only about 351m and 400 engines) and there is is a LOT you can do to them that remains invisible from a smog standpoint. Achieving a 300HP/400ft-lb build with a 400 is quite easy actually, and that leaves you with at least 75 HP more than any post-'72 460 in stock form.

On a separate note, the smog equipment on a '79 400 is pretty much identical in scope to that on a '79 460...

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
bmc69 I am interested in hearing more about 351m upgrades, I would appreciate getting a link to the FB page. I also would like to hear more about the EFI conversion you did on Scoop's rig... Doug.

460 upgrade seems very common upgrade in the 78-79 vintage Broncos. I would prefer to keep the 351m-400 option for me. Back in the day, converting the 351 to a 400 was common, as the parts were readably available.
If the owner of the 79 with the 460 says it just needs the heads swapped out, then it sounds to me like he has already attempted to have it smoged? There should be a paperwork trail. I looked at what you posted, I would suspect that both vehicles are missing a number of needed smog pieces. They are had to find and people that have them available to purchase generally command good prices for them. My smog pump was locked up and no auto part suppliers had one for sale. Doing a search on Google, there were two places on FB that had rebuilt ones (in SoCal and OR) they were not inexpensive. Clean Air Products, Inc out the Clovis, Ca area had a rebuilt unit, that I purchased. They also charged me a chuck of change for my core, refunded after I shipped it to them. I say this as hunting for these parts sucks, it is not like your local Pick n Pull will have these vintage rigs sitting around.

Did you know the Owner is responsible for having the vehicle smoged for the sale? Unless, you sign your rights away and agree to do it.
Ideally, as stated, 79 460 motor would be the best starting point, but it sounds like you need to get some casting numbers off the block to confirm its age. Newer 460's would have to have any added smog related equipment, they will not accept an older 460 that has less smog.
There is a a motor swap page on the DMV website that you should review. If you have a location where the smog Ref is located, you might try and have dialogue with them regarding the swap. My local Landcruiser shop pointed me towards the Salinas Smog Ref rather than the San Jose Ref as they felt he no "Grey Areas". Knowing the year of the motor will help with making sure you have the correct components, and that they are hooked up correctly. There is also something about vehicle weight, my Dad's 79 F350 didn't need to have a Cat due to its weight. I am relatively certain they will not allow you to put a motor from a heavier rig into a lighter one, and then bypass the requirements of the lighter vehicle.

I wish you luck in scratching your itch with a 79 Bronco.
I would tend to point you towards a more complete bronco that has most of it's smog equipment in place, it just make life simpler...

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

You don't bore an engine to increase the power...because it does not increase the power. ;-) That aside, I sort of specialize in 400 builds (and admin a FB group that's only about 351m and 400 engines) and there is is a LOT you can do to them that remains invisible from a smog standpoint. Achieving a 300HP/400ft-lb build with a 400 is quite easy actually, and that leaves you with at least 75 HP more than any post-'72 460 in stock form.

On a separate note, the smog equipment on a '79 400 is pretty much identical in scope to that on a '79 460...
All I know is the 7.6L in my dad's 1997 gmc suburban pulls differently than the 351 in my 1993 bronco

Did the 79 come stock with the 460 as an option? I don't know why but I thought it was only available with a 351 or 400.

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

bmc69 I am interested in hearing more about 351m upgrades, I would appreciate getting a link to the FB page. I also would like to hear more about the EFI conversion you did on Scoop's rig... Doug.

460 upgrade seems very common upgrade in the 78-79 vintage Broncos. I would prefer to keep the 351m-400 option for me. Back in the day, converting the 351 to a 400 was common, as the parts were readably available.
If the owner of the 79 with the 460 says it just needs the heads swapped out, then it sounds to me like he has already attempted to have it smoged? There should be a paperwork trail. I looked at what you posted, I would suspect that both vehicles are missing a number of needed smog pieces. They are had to find and people that have them available to purchase generally command good prices for them. My smog pump was locked up and no auto part suppliers had one for sale. Doing a search on Google, there were two places on FB that had rebuilt ones (in SoCal and OR) they were not inexpensive. Clean Air Products, Inc out the Clovis, Ca area had a rebuilt unit, that I purchased. They also charged me a chuck of change for my core, refunded after I shipped it to them. I say this as hunting for these parts sucks, it is not like your local Pick n Pull will have these vintage rigs sitting around.

Did you know the Owner is responsible for having the vehicle smoged for the sale? Unless, you sign your rights away and agree to do it.
Ideally, as stated, 79 460 motor would be the best starting point, but it sounds like you need to get some casting numbers off the block to confirm its age. Newer 460's would have to have any added smog related equipment, they will not accept an older 460 that has less smog.
There is a a motor swap page on the DMV website that you should review. If you have a location where the smog Ref is located, you might try and have dialogue with them regarding the swap. My local Landcruiser shop pointed me towards the Salinas Smog Ref rather than the San Jose Ref as they felt he no "Grey Areas". Knowing the year of the motor will help with making sure you have the correct components, and that they are hooked up correctly. There is also something about vehicle weight, my Dad's 79 F350 didn't need to have a Cat due to its weight. I am relatively certain they will not allow you to put a motor from a heavier rig into a lighter one, and then bypass the requirements of the lighter vehicle.

I wish you luck in scratching your itch with a 79 Bronco.
I would tend to point you towards a more complete bronco that has most of it's smog equipment in place, it just make life simpler...

Thanks for all the input. I will work on getting the information from the owner about the engine.

I've been scouring craigslist and Facebook marketplace all across the country and the problem with finding a more complete rig is most seem to have had their smog equipment removed.

My budget is ~20k so if I could buy that brown and white one for 15k and get the motor smog legal for 5k I'd be very happy

blade

Contributor
Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
The lower truck, the one in primer has aftermarket aluminum heads and intake. A lot of those heads aren't legal to install in CA.

OX1

Bronco Guru

Link to facebook group please. The "truck" 460 in 79 was in a different "smog" class, was it not (or was that only 78?).
What about a 79 car 460?

OX1

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the input. I will work on getting the information from the owner about the engine.

I've been scouring craigslist and Facebook marketplace all across the country and the problem with finding a more complete rig is most seem to have had their smog equipment removed.

My budget is ~20k so if I could buy that brown and white one for 15k and get the motor smog legal for 5k I'd be very happy

A 78 federal (not Cali) bronco had a lot less smog stuff with stock 351M/400. If you bring that truck to Cali, do you HAVE to upgrade to 78 Cali emissions?

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area

Marginally off topic, but I was able to pick up a "CARDONE Reman Smog Air Pump - 32-290" back in 2020 without too much hassle. This is for a '76 Bronco, I don't know the difference between early bronco smog pumps & 2nd gen.

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

The lower truck, the one in primer has aftermarket aluminum heads and intake. A lot of those heads aren't legal to install in CA.

Nice observation! Someone on the full size bronco forum said they're super Cobra Jet headers amd are worth like 3k. I don't know much work it is to remove them but I was thinking of taking them off and selling them.

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

A 78 federal (not Cali) bronco had a lot less smog stuff with stock 351M/400. If you bring that truck to Cali, do you HAVE to upgrade to 78 Cali emissions?
I am also very Interested to know.
I've read various forum posts about that on the full size bronco forum and elsewhere in the last few days and gotten conflicting answers.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Link to facebook group please. The "truck" 460 in 79 was in a different "smog" class, was it not (or was that only 78?).
What about a 79 car 460?
Cali was roughly a year ahead of everyone else. And still going by vehicle gvw as far as phasing in the requirements.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
No you do not it would be smogged as Federal emissions, ,,,,, I'll have look up tomarrow but a 78_79 bronco never came with a 460 correct??? If so it will be a crap shoot to find a referee station to approve it ,,and most likly a 90's 460 with OE fuel injection with all the equipment installed might be your best path,,, ......but ? To OP find your bronco with smog in hand from seller register it to your moms address{Bi Annual exempt} correct??? then make changes as you desire.. then cross your fingers they don't change the exemptions?

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

No you do not it would be smogged as Federal emissions, ,,,,, I'll have look up tomarrow but a 78_79 bronco never came with a 460 correct??? If so it will be a crap shoot to find a referee station to approve it ,,and most likly a 90's 460 with OE fuel injection with all the equipment installed might be your best path,,, ......but ? To OP find your bronco with smog in hand from seller register it to your moms address{Bi Annual exempt} correct??? then make changes as you desire.. then cross your fingers they don't change the exemptions?

That was my plan until I read the CARB website. I'm sure the $37,500 fine is rare for consumers but I'd rather have my peace of mind. I like these broncos I posted but a 460 is something I can live without. If what you said about Federal emissions holds true then finding a 1978 not initially sold in CA might be my best bet.

Edit: I just emailed the California Air Resources Board

"Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 1978 Ford Bronco and have a smog related question. As I understand it, in 1978 California had stricter than federal emissions standards and so the 1978 Ford Bronco 's sold in California came with more smog related equipment than those sold in other states. Now there is the requirement that in order to pass smog in California a vehicle must have all of its original smog equipment and this leads to my question. If I buy a 1978 Ford Bronco that was originally sold outside of California do I only need to have the smog equipment that it came with or do I need to have the smog equipment that it would have come with had it been sold in California originally?"

If the answer is favorable here's a 1978 that might be promising.

"CARB conducts enforcement actions against individual vehicle owners that have violated the law by tampering, modifying, or installing illegal parts on emissioncontrolled vehicles operated on a public highway. Any person that illegally modifies or operates an uncertified or tampered vehicle on a public highway as defined by California law is subject to a DMV registration stop and a penalty of up to $37,500 per violation (Health & Safety Code §§ 43016 and 43154)"

Last edited:
OP
OP
DR650

DR650

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
In 50 years of living in California I have never, ever heard of the California Air Resources Board fining and individual for incorrect smog equipment. The purpose of CARB civil penalty listed is to address large transportation companies, vehicle manufacturers, and manufacturers of replacement equipment (ie “chips” for newer vehicles that add performance by overriding computer programmed smog requirements). This CARB thing has taken on a mystical life! Buy a vehicle if smog cert is required take it to a smog shop. If it passes great if not you get a temporary registration and tinker with it until it passes. No one (even in California) is going to come knocking on your door to inspect your papers for your 78-79 bronco. It’s like the Agricultural inspection stations at the border coming into CA, they are for the commercial vehicles. Never had an issue at one even with a bag of oranges on my front seat.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
78 bronco engine option 351w 351m and a 400 all 2bbcarbs,,,, 79 options. 351w 351m. 400, all 2bb and a 429 4bb. 79 would be a better choice maybe able to fool a 460 for a 429