• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 shifter linkage

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
On the fab table again.....................................

With my trusty bottle opener...;D

Attachments

• DSC02325.JPG
    DSC02325.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,053
OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
All done..........;D

paint can wait.....

Attachments

• DSC02327.JPG
    DSC02327.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,113
  • DSC02328.JPG
    DSC02328.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 997

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
Thats pretty sweet! I love home-made stuff(why buy it if you can make it) I can't wait to get my 435 under the Bronc.

Rob

mrw

Loc.
MassHole
How does it shift? Do you have to wiggle it around to get over to 3 & 4 or back to 1 & 2?

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
How does it shift? Do you have to wiggle it around to get over to 3 & 4 or back to 1 & 2?
It shifts alot better than the way the PO had it set-up................

Now the throws are short and I don't have to reach over to the passenger side to shift a gear...........

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
My NP435 shifter had more curves than the "Baby got back" video!

That's a nice setup, I just don't understand how it works side to side. Do you have to your left to get to 3 & 4?

J.D.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Side to side movement is fixed like a clevis on the top link. Pivot points only move front to back on the top link. Bottom pivot on the shift lever is a heim joint which allows it to rotate sidewards.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
OK, so the joints are supposed to give any side to side, just front to back. I think I understand!

J.D.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Yep..Just front to back pivot only. This set up works great to make your 435 feel quick and modern.

I really like Jacks alum. pistol grip version it would be must have if I had a 435 :cool:

Mad you have to flip that T-handle sideway and make yourself the pistol grip version. ;D ;D

Attachments

• gear banger_300.jpg
    gear banger_300.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 658
  • shifter_installed2.jpg
    shifter_installed2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 575
OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Mad you have to flip that T-handle sideway and make yourself the pistol grip version. ;D ;D
Do you really think most people shift gears holding the stick like a pistol grip?

I, myself prefer the ball handle inbetween the thumb, index and middle finger............................... It's that easy...

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Fabricated tunnel covers over the access holes........................

Attachments

• DSC02337.JPG
    DSC02337.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC02338.JPG
    DSC02338.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC02339.JPG
    DSC02339.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 458

GnisroH

Loc.
Harrisonburg, VA
That shifter is lookin' good. I've got an NP435 sitting in the garage waiting to go in, and I wish I had fabricating skills like that. Most likely, I'm going to end up bending the shifter, or dishing out the money for an Iron Bender.:( They're great and all, just a little pricey!:-X

Do you really think most people shift gears holding the stick like a pistol grip?

I, myself prefer the ball handle inbetween the thumb, index and middle finger............................... It's that easy...

It's not quite the same, but I really liked the T-Handle shifters like this one
bmm-80690_w.jpg

After that, I would prefer a standard ball handle like you do

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Pistol grip shifter

I have never understood this pistol grip shifter stuff either. You are suppossed to shift and get off of it. Not hang on to it.

broncobuddha

I have a question about this style shifter and/or the ironbender shifter. How is the 2 to 3 shift? Meaning, a standard shifter in a manual transmission is spring loaded to naturally want to rest in the neutral position, which helps the 2 to 3 transition.

I don't know how the stock NP435 shifter is set up but this heim joint setup seems like there's no preload to neutral, meaning you could easily miss a shift. Not a big deal on the trail, but I'm talking about when driving on the street.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I have a question about this style shifter and/or the ironbender shifter. How is the 2 to 3 shift? Meaning, a standard shifter in a manual transmission is spring loaded to naturally want to rest in the neutral position, which helps the 2 to 3 transition.

I don't know how the stock NP435 shifter is set up but this heim joint setup seems like there's no preload to neutral, meaning you could easily miss a shift. Not a big deal on the trail, but I'm talking about when driving on the street.

Thanks!
The springs or detents that you are talking about is in the top cover of the trans which the modified shift linkage doesn't affect it's operation. It will still work the same way.....

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Pre load is tranferred the linkage from the 435. The only hiem used on these is on the bottom mount of the actual handle. With this set up the result is a very positive shift just as good as the standard 435 shifter only a lot shorter throw and your had now being able to comfortably rest by your leg instead of having to grab gear up in the air by the dash.

broncobuddha

Awesome, thanks guys.

Another question...the install seems to place the sifter more in the middle (to the right of the t-case shifter. Does this translate into a farther reach?