• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

10R80 Stand alone controllers... no luck

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
After having the opportunity to install a brand new Factory Ford 10r into my Shorty build, I once again surfed the net and called USShift about Stand Alone Controller support for a 10r.

I talked to a guy last fall who had contacted USShift and he was told by the end of '21.

When I talked with USShift this am I offered to be a BETA tester. I thought I would be a great candidate because I usually test all aspects of a product to the fullest. :) My offer was respectfully declined. lol

Anyway I was told hopefully by the end of this year... that's what they said last year and the year before they said it would be "soon"... so, don't hold your breath anyone!

Aoxsh

After having the opportunity to install a brand new Factory Ford 10r into my Shorty build, I once again surfed the net and called USShift about Stand Alone Controller support for a 10r.

I talked to a guy last fall who had contacted USShift and he was told by the end of '21.

When I talked with USShift this am I offered to be a BETA tester. I thought I would be a great candidate because I usually test all aspects of a product to the fullest. :) My offer was respectfully declined. lol

Anyway I was told hopefully by the end of this year... that's what they said last year and the year before they said it would be "soon"... so, don't hold your breath anyone!
Any luck with USShift for the 10r80?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
No standalone 10r controllers.

I talked with Ford Performance and they just offer a pkg deal with the Godzilla and a 6r.

They are almost done with an even lower intake manifold so it can be retrofitted into something besides a truck w/o tons of work.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There must be some struggles with it. Back at SEMA 2018 I was talking with Greg about it and he had just driven the 10 speed for the first time that was swapped into a crown vic. It drove. It could go through the gears. But the shifts were not smooth. Described some of the most violent shifts ever. If 4 years later and they still can't get acceptable shifts out of it, it must be pretty difficult to program.

FYI, the 4R70 is a very simple transmission to control. Just flip the switch. The shits are still done old school with line pressure and accumulators. The new transmissions are clutch to clutch hand offs. You have to control one clutch releasing (feather that clutch into a release) while you control the next clutch to engage. Not as easy as flipping a switch.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I remember you mentioning talking to him at SEMA back then. I have talked with Karl, Kevin and their tech line guy Jake so much over the years about their progress and they've shared a few difficulties but never the real tech issues.

I just want them to finish the self contained display read-outs they said would be released two Christmases ago so we can hide the extremely bulky 20+ wire controller so while putting around or while picking a gear for the next obstacle you can see what gear you're in.

I'm still waiting...

Good company with nice helpful people.

hrsepwr2

I remember you mentioning talking to him at SEMA back then. I have talked with Karl, Kevin and their tech line guy Jake so much over the years about their progress and they've shared a few difficulties but never the real tech issues.

I just want them to finish the self contained display read-outs they said would be released two Christmases ago so we can hide the extremely bulky 20+ wire controller so while putting around or while picking a gear for the next obstacle you can see what gear you're in.

I'm still waiting...

Good company with nice helpful people.
Hi guys - I too talked with Karl about 10r80's behind a godzilla. This thread sparked me to reopen that conversation with him since I haven't talked to him since SEMA. I will let you know the outcome. I'm a newbie in this forum, but am looking to put a 7.3 in my '72 Bronco and searched through threads for activity like this.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks for the input and keep us posted!

If you put the 10r80 behind a modular engine just steal the ECU and the 1153' of wire that come with it and you're good to go. lol

Last year (Nov) when talking to Ford Performance about my engine and other stuff, they were quite excited about new lower intake manifolds and having the 10r behind the Godzilla in a package. It's on their website.

Nothing to control a 10r tho unless it had a mod motor

PurpleBeardedBison

hossbronco

Contributor
No standalone 10r controllers.

I talked with Ford Performance and they just offer a pkg deal with the Godzilla and a 6r.

They are almost done with an even lower intake manifold so it can be retrofitted into something besides a truck w/o tons of work.
To clarify, are you talking about the 6R140?

I’m installing a 6R80 behind my 7.3L. I don’t ever remember Ford Performance saying they were going to make a controller for this combination. In fact, when I talked with them last year it sounded like they weren’t even going to work on it. I was going to use the OBR controller and a Quick 6.

Also, Quick 6 has been saying the CAN Bus data interface is coming soon. I’ve been waiting on this feature for about 3 years, with no sign that it’s really in the works. Coming soon doesn’t seem like the appropriate choice of words here.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I read the link for the 10r controller up above and so long as it's behind a Zilla it sounds like it will work.

I did not read where it can be used behind any engine that is not a Zilla.

For just $2500. We bought entire Broncos for that... oh well, those days are gone forever!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310_072322_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_072322_Chrome.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 13