• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Bronco Restomod need help on power steering

cool66bronco

Loc.
Hatfield PA
I have a 66 Bronco with 5.0 Motor from 86 Mustang. I kept the power steering unit on the motor and bought the 66 Bronco power steering box from bronco graveyard. I need to know hose connection sizes for the pump and the box to get the hoses made. I know the return on the pump is just a slide on hose but the other three I need.
Any help would be appreciated.
thank you in advance for your help. Jerry

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Wild Horses can set you up...
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/broncohydraulicsteeringparts

If you adapt to -AN/JIC hydraulic hoses, you can build the hoses yourself. Carry some extra bare hose and you can field-service yourself should a hose ever fail.

I have been running my own home-built hoses for many years, not a single problem. My pump was worked over by AGR so it flows more fluid at higher pressure. My hoses have not complained!

OP
OP
C

cool66bronco

Loc.
Hatfield PA
bronco guru thanks for your input worked with Matt at wild horses this morning and he is making it up for me. thanks a million.
jerry

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
There is an off-the-shelf hose to go from a Ford CII pump like what's on the Mustang to a stock Ford Bronco PS box: 78 Ford T-bird with a 400ci engine and Saginaw steering. It will have an o-ring fitting on one end for the pump and an inverted flare for the box. You just have to position the hose to clear everything. You might have to tweak the hardline on the box end. It was $14 at Pepboys the last time I got one. I prefer off-the-shelf over custom where possible. It's cheap enough to carry a spare for long trips.
Also note that the CII pump from the Mustang was designed for a rack and pinion so may not have the flow and pressure for the Bronco steering box. You can replace it with a truck (F250) pump from the same vintage as the Mustang and get better performance because the trucks used steering boxes.