• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Budd body vs. “Stroppe” prominence

triracer67

Contributor
I have a dilemma that most people would enjoy. I just acquired a Aug. 65 Budd body U14 that I wasn’t looking to acquire. I still have a ‘67 U15 that was owned by Jim Brightly, the technical editor for Four wheeler, and he used the 67 for columns. He also was friends with Bill Stroppe. Jim and bill work in the 67 together. They built a custom suspension that included a Dana 44 front axle, dual shocks, and 4:56 gears personally set up and installed by Bill Stroppe. Jim also installed a 351c and T10 manual trans with Rancho O/D. Shortly after that, Jim sold the Bronco to another friend of Bill’s, Buz Kaido. Buz raced off-road in the Midwest in a Stroppe prepared truck, and purchased the ‘67 to prerun Baja, which he did. He also swapped the Cleveland and manual with a high-compression ‘69 351w, and C4 for prerunning. Kaido eventually left the Bronco on his property and sold it to me four years ago. Present day and I acquire a Budd body Bronco. The Bronco needs work. I’ll spend the next few weeks trying to figure which worth is really more unique. Ultimately, I want a nice Bronco driving Bronco (67 turns a lot Rpms on hwy), overdrive, and lots of horsepower. I feel like I would wreck the 66 by swapping all the drivetrain. Bottom line is that I don’t want to spend money on two Broncos. Which do I keep? Which is worth more? I appreciate the poor people that read this entire post. Lastly, I’m a huge halfcab fan!

cofferjl

I would look at it this way. Say they weren't yours and they were for sale but you only had money for one. Which one would bring you more joy at the end of the day.
I personally would go with the 67 because I am a huge off road racing fan and like the interesting story even if it doesn't add to any monetary value.

House

Minutia Militia
I like Honey Bunnes, it is a sweet truck. I don’t think it has very many Stroppe
parts on it though, right? No Stroppe installed power steering or the automatic?
I would still probably pick it over a 66. Is the 66 a driver or a total project?
At least you get to enjoy driving your 67...

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'm as big of a 66 as any and more than probably 90% of the people here. I'd still keep the 67' with the history behind it. If you sold it, the only people that would appreciate it would be us here on the forum. If you sold it elsewhere, it would just get turned into who knows what and forgotten forever. Yes the 8/65' u14 is way less common that most, but it has no history like your other one.

OP
OP
triracer67

triracer67

Contributor
I definitely love my Honey Bunnes!!! It’s funny to think that according to Buz and Jim, the Bronco spent a considerable amount of time at the Stroppe shop and has no Stroppe parts. They did say the engines and transmissions were purchased for $100 from Stroppe, since they were pulled out of new Fords sitting to be modified. I do appreciate the input. The ‘66 is a project. When I win the lottery it will get a Kincer chassis.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'm as big of a 66 as any and more than probably 90% of the people here. I'd still keep the 67' with the history behind it. If you sold it, the only people that would appreciate it would be us here on the forum. If you sold it elsewhere, it would just get turned into who knows what and forgotten forever. Yes the 8/65' u14 is way less common that most, but it has no history like your other one.

yes sir.. totally agree

elan

Loc.
s
Thank the gawds who owned or drove what doesn't sway me one way or another. Wait, I lied, unless James Garner drove it in the Baja.
I'm into bone stock '66's (Budd). So there it is, my choice and everyone has an opinion, right or wrong.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Legend has it that Honey Bunnes had the 4speed out of the Colt Stroppe Racer that I own. I wish we could track that down. But I think hold onto the 67....my vote. THere...I voted. (again)