• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 u13 roadster help

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Paradise Ford was the Scottsdale Ford Dealership in the 60's, Corner of Scottsdale Rd and Camelback Rd. They were a Shelby Dealer also.

That's it! I was googling earlier too and found that name. I always kept forgetting the name of what Canyon Ford turned into - it became Pioneer Ford.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

I honestly think my Budd Bronco has Budd Doors Budd top and Budd fender tie downs. It seems hard to believe the top is the one I am most unsure about. I have a Bronco guy with what appears to be a wealth of knowledge coming to see it this week. I may be off on my assessment about accessories but it appears to have factory paint on body and doors. I look forward to a second opinion. For clarification the paint in the pictures is the second coat factory is present under it.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

My question is does anyone have Budd Body doors on their Roadster instead of the Ford doors to be quite honest I have not seen many original Ford doors on Roadsters any pictures would be grand.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Todd Zuercher is an authority on the classic Ford Bronco and he will be able to help you identify the modifications made to your Bronco and originality of it.

It's very fortunate that Todd is not that far from you and can dedicate some time to come by and look at your U13!

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It appears Phoenix DSO 75 was 1964 to 1973. Does anyone know or has anyone seen what Ford dealers it was comprised of? I am attempted to track original dealer.

I have two from that DSO and they were from Sanderson Ford and Earnhardt Ford

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I honestly think my Budd Bronco has Budd Doors Budd top and Budd fender tie downs. It seems hard to believe the top is the one I am most unsure about. I have a Bronco guy with what appears to be a wealth of knowledge coming to see it this week. I may be off on my assessment about accessories but it appears to have factory paint on body and doors. I look forward to a second opinion. For clarification the paint in the pictures is the second coat factory is present under it.

From the pics you posted of the top it's 100% not a 66' top, but a 67-68 top. Explain what you think Budd doors are and how they differ from a Ford door?

Your paint isn't factory, it was Arcadian Blue, except for the dash which was bronco gray poly and the grill and wheels which were Wimbledon white. There wasn't a purple/blue offered in 66' and it were a special order color, the color F on your warranty plate wouldn't be there, and that area would have been left blank with no color code present. 66 and 67 doors were the same other than the key hole location, both had detachable window frames. The 68' had detachable window frames but used the later style of door, latches and key hole position. 69-77 had welded window frames, weren't detachable, and otherwise the same as the 68'. Todd is the man, curious to see what he finds.

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
From the pics you posted of the top it's 100% not a 66' top, but a 67-68 top. Explain what you think Budd doors are and how they differ from a Ford door?

Your paint isn't factory, it was Arcadian Blue, except for the dash which was bronco gray poly and the grill and wheels which were Wimbledon white. There wasn't a purple/blue offered in 66' and it were a special order color, the color F on your warranty plate wouldn't be there, and that area would have been left blank with no color code present. 66 and 67 doors were the same other than the key hole location, both had detachable window frames. The 68' had detachable window frames but used the later style of door, latches and key hole position. 69-77 had welded window frames, weren't detachable, and otherwise the same as the 68'. Todd is the man, curious to see what he finds.

Yeah, arcadian blue, not that 70's respray someone did back in the day. No way it would have come from Ford in that color. Bobby, both you and Todd are the "men" in this arena, and I am thankful that both you guys are so gracious with taking the time to answer questions.

As an aside, I would recommend that the author of the original post utilize the search button, even just typing in "1966" yields tons of information that I have spent hours geeking over.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
It appears Phoenix DSO 75 was 1964 to 1973. Does anyone know or has anyone seen what Ford dealers it was comprised of? I am attempted to track original dealer.

The 75 DSO for Phoenix applies to all early Broncos. My ‘77, with DSO 75, came from Mel Clayton which was previously Reed Mullen and is now Camelback Ford.

Order a copy of Todd’s book. Many of the folks you are chatting with are in it or contributed to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Bronco-...keywords=Bronco+history&qid=1614788579&sr=8-2

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
The 75 DSO for Phoenix applies to all early Broncos. My ‘77, with DSO 75, came from Mel Clayton which was previously Reed Mullen and is now Camelback Ford.

Order a copy of Todd’s book. Many of the folks you are chatting with are in it or contributed to it. OR WROTE IT.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Bronco-...keywords=Bronco+history&qid=1614788579&sr=8-2

I have a 66 U13 early production with a Budd body. While the original inserts and bulkhead came with it a PO owner put on a hard top and doors. It's very clear mine are NOT 66 doors or hardtop, but after 68. I have other newer Bronco's and extra top and doors that I can compare to, including 67 and 68 doors. Easy to see side by side. The hard part is some know a great deal about Bronco's and are very convincing. We are very fortunate here to have some very knowledgeable experts here that are giving you great information, I look forward to hearing what Todd Z thinks. Make sure you have a pen handy and $13.

Ford's sales information shows what manufacturers options where available. While many dealers installed non factory items that confuse people into believing, because it came from the dealer that way, it must be a factory option, when it was a dealer added item. Doesn't mean it's not nice or cool, just not factory.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been reading this massive thread here. Want to give my two cents worth of info. I've been in the '66 geek mode for 20+ years now and majority of the ones in my garage are '66s:

1. I truly believe the Budd bodies were manufactured through 1967. Even though many of us associated the eyebrow grill with the Budd body, I believe that not be the case. That little indent under the driver's seat introduced in 1968 is one clue. Notice there is no manufacturer tag one the bronco till Ford put their own on it in 1968 in that recessed little box? Before that there was nothing - no Ford, no Budd. Almost like that was neutral ground between both manufacturers not to label - Ford did not make the body but Budd is not making the bronco. Perhaps an agreement from the start.

And if Ford did start building the bodies sooner than 1968, you would have thought the recess would have been stamped by then for mid-year 1966. No reason to produce the like Budd and then do another version later in 1968.

Also, I've noticed that there are a lot of surviving 1966 and 1967 broncos around. And from what I remember, the bodies sure seemed to have faired much better than later dated rigs from rust. Not all of them, but a lot! Could this be due to 'thicker gauge'" metal or that good old fashion red oxide primer? Were the bodies dipped? I've noticed a lot of runs under the painted rigs of early years.

2. Forward facing rear shocks - I've only witnessed the first few months in 1965. I own early '66s and a later '66. The later has the rear facing rear shocks. And I've studied other four/five month build and later rigs, seeing all had rear facing shocks by then. With that, I'd like to see people post their rigs with forward facing rear shock and build date associated with it.

3. Hard doors on a U13 were definitely an option. I've seen hard doors with frames and window guts. I've seen a U13 hard door with no frame, no guts - just the latch to keep the door closed. If you want to make sure they are original doors, remove one hinge from the jamb. If paint behind the hinge, usually indicates that it was added or a repaint It should be just primer behind that hinge from the factory.

As for the hard top, not necessarily a documented option but could have been added. Special DSO will never be able to reveal but that was merely a sheet with "add ons" written and tied to that rig. Ford would do anything to fill an order. As for this top, not a correct one for that year so must have been added later.

4. The motor looks like it was swapped out. '66 blocks has "C5" engineering codes on them. And the 170s did not have writing on the valve cover. Count the number of freeze plugs too. The 170 had three, 200 had five. (Correction on freeze plugs from fordfan!!! Thanks buddy)

5. As for the eyebrow grill, not sure what when on there and why the "eyebrows" disappeared after three to four months production. But when Ford was rolling out the bronco for model year 1966, they made a ton of broncos in the first three months. Perhaps the die to stamp the grills simply wore out in that area and by the time they re-tooled, erased it as it was one less item to contend with?! Still a mystery!

I've been in the '66 geek mode for 20+ years now and majority of the ones in my garage are '66s. And back then, 1966 broncos had no respect in the bronco world. There was only a handful of us that would discuss and pursue these rigs. Many criticized them because of the less desirable drivetrain. The "hard to find" '66 parts of today were worthless back then. I knew different and glad I did! Easier for me to restore a '66! Tim

Last edited:

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Preach on Brother! LOL! I'm loving it!

On the freeze plugs on the block, the 170 has 3 and the 200 has 5..... Just keeping you in line Tim!.....LOL...

I have a U14 83XXX that has forward facing rear shocks. I will verify the vin.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of good info in this thread!

"I'd like to see people post their rigs with forward facing rear shock and build date associated with it."

My 66 is a November 65 build U15 & has forward facing shocks.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Mine is not too many units after fordfan's, 844081 U15, April 66 build

Attachments

• IMG_2966.jpg
    IMG_2966.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 24

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru

On the freeze plugs on the block, the 170 has 3 and the 200 has 5..... Just keeping you in line Tim!.....LOL...

Thanks buddy! Not enough coffee in me then! lol

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Dennis - is your U14 a V8 or a 6 cylinder? 83xxx would put it in March so I guess it could be either.

Todd Z.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Iirc there's a couple March 289 in the Marti thread or a similar thread here. Can't remember who owns them off hand.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been reading this massive thread here. Want to give my two cents worth of info. I've been in the '66 geek mode for 20+ years now and majority of the ones in my garage are '66s:

1. I truly believe the Budd bodies were manufactured through 1967. Even though many of us associated the eyebrow grill with the Budd body, I believe that not be the case. That little indent under the driver's seat introduced in 1968 is one clue. Notice there is no manufacturer tag one the bronco till Ford put their own on it in 1968 in that recessed little box? Before that there was nothing - no Ford, no Budd. Almost like that was neutral ground between both manufacturers not to label - Ford did not make the body but Budd is not making the bronco. Perhaps an agreement from the start.

And if Ford did start building the bodies sooner than 1968, you would have thought the recess would have been stamped by then for mid-year 1966. No reason to produce the like Budd and then do another version later in 1968.

Also, I've noticed that there are a lot of surviving 1966 and 1967 broncos around. And from what I remember, the bodies sure seemed to have faired much better than later dated rigs from rust. Not all of them, but a lot! Could this be due to 'thicker gauge'" metal or that good old fashion red oxide primer? Were the bodies dipped? I've noticed a lot of runs under the painted rigs of early years.

2. Forward facing rear shocks - I've only witnessed the first few months in 1965. I own early '66s and a later '66. The later has the rear facing rear shocks. And I've studied other four/five month build and later rigs, seeing all had rear facing shocks by then. With that, I'd like to see people post their rigs with forward facing rear shock and build date associated with it.

3. Hard doors on a U13 were definitely an option. I've seen hard doors with frames and window guts. I've seen a U13 hard door with no frame, no guts - just the latch to keep the door closed. If you want to make sure they are original doors, remove one hinge from the jamb. If paint behind the hinge, usually indicates that it was added or a repaint It should be just primer behind that hinge from the factory.

As for the hard top, not necessarily a documented option but could have been added. Special DSO will never be able to reveal but that was merely a sheet with "add ons" written and tied to that rig. Ford would do anything to fill an order. As for this top, not a correct one for that year so must have been added later.

4. The motor looks like it was swapped out. '66 blocks has "C5" engineering codes on them. And the 170s did not have writing on the valve cover. Count the number of freeze plugs too. The 170 had three, 200 had five. (Correction on freeze plugs from fordfan!!! Thanks buddy)

5. As for the eyebrow grill, not sure what when on there and why the "eyebrows" disappeared after three to four months production. But when Ford was rolling out the bronco for model year 1966, they made a ton of broncos in the first three months. Perhaps the die to stamp the grills simply wore out in that area and by the time they re-tooled, erased it as it was one less item to contend with?! Still a mystery!

I've been in the '66 geek mode for 20+ years now and majority of the ones in my garage are '66s. And back then, 1966 broncos had no respect in the bronco world. There was only a handful of us that would discuss and pursue these rigs. Many criticized them because of the less desirable drivetrain. The "hard to find" '66 parts of today were worthless back then. I knew different and glad I did! Easier for me to restore a '66! Tim

I have one that is an October (761965) build that has what looks like Stroppe dual shock upgrades. the Rear has both front and rear facing mounts so I am not sure which were factory yet. I will be pulling the body and cleaning the frame soon and it should be obvious once I get it cleaned up.