• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 1/2 cab build "phase 2"

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
0aeb2d50ebc6da000157f96bf8624a13.jpg

11234af586e4b8c6a13d47cc0ea43fd5.jpg

26130bea533d8725879856d62dbceeba.jpg

Beef!

My homebuilt arms don’t look bad….devil is in the details. Those heims are huge even compared to the JJ’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kudos on the guts and gumption to even attempt diy arms!

OP
OP
Ether

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
Thanks [mention]Howard2x4x4 [/mention], I really wanted them to work out…but I need a better jig for castor and symmetry. Oh, well.

I may use the parts for an anti-wrap bar in the rear, we’ll see.

1336469d58cd6991b13878291ce31367.jpg

Phone died, so this is the only pic I took today.

Brakes fully mounted and we have decent pedal feel and no leaks!

Hubs/lockouts installed. Front wheels back on, and off the jack stands. Will finalize and mount F250 shock towers later at final ride height.

This Toms 3.5 springs are tall with no drivetrain! 13” to frame rails…hope it lands close to 11”

OP
OP
Ether

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
47453d7cf23c27630648aa741238ac18.jpg

Well, turns out a 1” body lift = big tunnel cut. We’ll make it pretty with a nice cover.

Now to build and cross member and get this thing fired off!! I think we can get it done this week.

OP
OP
Ether

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
a1a2f3a7e6e24f7a6302c66ba3beb4e6.jpg

How do I wire this starter if I am going to retain a solenoid on the fender-well?

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I love that hammer sticker on it !
I can’t tell you exactly how to wire it but there is several threads on here how to.

OP
OP
Ether

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
Found it!

Can anyone explain why both wires come from the + “battery” side of the fender mounted starter relay (solenoid)? What does the small gauge wire accomplish?

OP
OP
Ether

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa

OP
OP
Ether

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
Well, got a lot done yesterday with a full day in the garage.

All wiring done, tested “ON” and fuel pump/lines, fixed a minor leak at the fuel pressure regulator. Integrated Edelbrock 12v, Fuel pump, and Start solenoid into a Relay box with my son’s help. Looks really clean for my level of expertise.

Need to build enough exhaust for 1st start. Finding flange/head pipe for the Ford Motorsport headers has proven difficult…should have ordered fox body specific ones probably. The passenger one has to be hacked short and 45’d to clear the frame but very doable. I removed the flange from the header and rotated it 45 ish degrees around to have the studs clear frame/started.

Feels so good for everything to be “functional” so far. Lights, radio, starter, fuel pump etc…
ed5ee1952e7b63a1f142bacf2af8707a.jpg

I’m terrible at taking pics/video….here is the pass header being modified. Pretty easy.

OP
OP
Ether

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
A few hurdles today but she lives!! Motor sounds great. No leaks that were't easily fixed.

Now to finalize wiring/looming, get fluids in trans/xfer, and new drivelines in. Had a new rear made locally and they rebuilt and shortened the front. Also to to sort the rear leaf perches/ move axle back 1", and install the shocks.....then go get some exhaust.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’ve been using Ralston’s in BA for exhaust for years. I built my own until I started going there, only place I’ve ever used I don’t have to come home and fix what they did. I do usually bring my own prefab Y, just the connector part and the muffler I want to use, they do have that stuff, I’m just anal about those 2 items and want what I want. lol.

OP
OP
Ether

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
Ever been to “Mikes Muffler and custom exhaust”?

What muffler do you like for a 2:1 setup? [mention]Yeller [/mention]

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I love the sound of magnaflow. Although the volume tends to be too high and without a resonator on the tail pipe can drone. Lars turned me onto this Dynaflow muffler, he runs it on his 408 and I have it on my J Truck. I like it, on a typical 302 they have a nice tone but nice mellow volume. This is the Y pipe that I try to use.

FYI: There is some confusion occasionally, the different color text is a web link.

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1669.jpeg
    IMG_1669.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 13

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
dynomax co. (dynaflow is a model frm them) has the turbos ( design for performance, ‘straight’ is only 1 design higher) as Turbo’n Super Turbo Models and has been my go to co since eqrly '90s. They havea good selection- SS, not, polished ss; centers and off center mixes for in/outlets; smaller dementions, all in the 17hundreds. I like 17282, XX731, XX629 for street apps, others for off rd/strip or track ('straight’). I will Not get into 'sound’ tho, as I avoid the quagmires I can see on the trail ahead...

Glad U found something from them. They fit my price point too (low end). I’m happy so talk them up on the forums~

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
???
Y pipe is 2.25" out, Muffler is 3" in
Just example pieces I grabbed from my purchase history, no telling what they were for, or if the correct options were selected. Both of those items can be gotten in different pipe sizes. I was after pics for example as much/more than exact item. I will try to be more careful next time.

The muffler is what I’ve used. The Y is 2-1/2x2-1/2x3

OP
OP
Ether

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
How do you add videos here?