• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1971 Bronco Crawler Build - Texas

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
Hello guys my name is Don and I'm in Katy, Tx. I had to sell my '75 Bronco Crawler

20150206_175054.jpg

back in the spring of last year due to getting laid off and divorced, but I'm happy to say that I just bought another EB last week to start building for the 2016 wheelin' season. This one's a 1971 model (with a VIN plate in the glovebox!!!)

20151230_164137.jpg

20160101_101552.jpg

It's got a 302 with a 3 speed column shifter (cant get 1st and reverse to engage at the column, only in the engine bay) and a d20 with the D44/9". I have no idea what this front axle came out of, but its got spring perches under the axle. The front suspension is..... interesting. I see where the guy was going with the Wishbone but seriously, all bushings? Also like how the oil pan acts as the bumpstop. I'm going to convert this to a normal 3 link with a track bar with the upper link on the passenger side. at least all the frame brackets are in place already.
20160103_103859.jpg

20160103_195847.jpg

OP
OP
T

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
20160103_195900.jpg

I'm waiting for my tax return to buy a new welder (either a hobart 190 or Lincoln 180) before starting on the front suspension rebuild.

my to do list as of now is:

replace all the gaskets and wearable items on the 302
long tube headers/exhaust piping
fan shroud/new radiator mechanical fan
convert to power steering
convert to power brakes
redo front upper link to 3 link and add track bar.
1 ton TRO steering
Chromoly axles front and rear
Spartan locker in front
NP435 or T18
tie seats into cage
take out lift blocks in rear (maybe chevy springs with a mild stretch to add some wheelbase?)
repaint (Rattle bomb)
cut out rockers and weld in 2x6 sliders tied into cage and frame.

and finally but most importantly, GO WHEELIN'. Hoping for a maiden voyage in March.

OP
OP
T

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
I'm a big fan of bright colors on my crawlers, I hate being white or black or some other dark color like everybody else out there. I've always been a fan of the grabber blue and gulf racing colors, and I saw some Rustoleum Maui Blue paint at the local home depot last night. I went ahead and sprayed my crunchy passenger fender just to see what it'd look like. I'm not 100% sold on it, but I like it. My girlfriend thinks its a little girly but she loves it. Thoughts?

bronco.jpg

bronco2.jpg

Toddpole

Contributor
"a little girly"? Never. That color looks great on an EB. Go for it.

OP
OP
T

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
Well its more teal then grabber blue. It's more like GM maui blue which I'm assuming Rustoleum used. I'm sold on it. I was thinking about trying to clean up the body but I think I'm just going to spray bomb it like it is. Otherwise I'll just get sad the first time I add a new dent/scratch.

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
There's one from Michigan in the for sale section that's almost the same color if you want some idea what it will look like all done. I don't wanna post the pic as it's not mine, but he has plenty of pics of it. Good luck with the build!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Awesome, congrats on the new build. That color will look great bud.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Looks good in that color,good start on the rig too,looking good.:cool:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool build. I like that blue...it's amazing how a few wrinkles in the sheetmetal add to the testosterone level of any rig, regardless of color. Tears count for double.

OP
OP
T

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
Ain't that the truth! I think that's why I like full bodied crawlers so much. More character with all the dents and rash!

OP
OP
T

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
Spray bombed the rear quarter of the bronco, mainly just to get a sneak peek at what it's all gonna end up looking like. I like it! I didn't primer it or anything so I'll probably end up stripping it off and doing it the right way with primer and warmer weather and everything.

20160106_180628.jpg

February should be a pretty busy month of fabrication and buying parts. I'm really hoping to get this thing wrapped up and ready for trail riding by late feb/early march.

Toddpole

Contributor
"February should be a pretty busy month of fabrication and buying parts. I'm really hoping to get this thing wrapped up and ready for trail riding by late feb/early march."

K2 opening weekend is Feb 5-7. You need to get this thing on the rocks pronto!

OP
OP
T

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
Yeah yeah I know. I caught opening weekend last year with my '75, actually the last trip i took with it before getting laid off and the whole bag of worms opened up and shit all over my life. I'd love to make it to K2 for opening weekend, but K2 isnt exactly the greatest place to go to make a shakedown run. Especially not with the guys I usually run with out there LOL. We'll see how it goes. I'm single with nothing but time to spare during the week and every other weekend so I can potentially get a bunch of work done. Alot of it is just figuring out exactly what path I want to go with this thing. I'm considering picking up some Swayaways or FOA C/O's and just completely redoing the front suspension since I have to do a 3 link anyway.

OP
OP
T

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
well.. I have decided to go in a totally different direction. After pricing out all of the stuff I would need to do to the axles, and then eventually upgrade to 1 tons anyway... I ended up doing some horse trading for a Dana 60 and a Sterling 10.25. They've already been built with 5.13 gears and got a full set of spares as well with the deal. I am REALLY hoping to keep my top under 81 inches, as thats how tall my garage entrance is. I am going to run at least 42s, potentially even 44s. I better stock up on sawzall blades!

I'm hoping to start ordering everything I need in the next week or two. Definitely going full hydro, I will probably also pull the Dana 60 carrier as it's welded up and install a locker. I've been there done that with the spooled fronts and never again!

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Nice score!!

Since you are going full hydro- you should consider pushing the axle forward. Also- my project is on tons and 44s and I have to suck the suspension down to squeeze into my 82" garage door....

OP
OP
T

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
I'm definitely going forward with the front and back with the rear. I am thinking very hard about using the wishbone 3 link that came on the front D44 from the P.O on the Sterling rear. All i'd do to change it would be to change the axle side from bushings to johnny joints. I think it'd flex like mad. My biggest problem would be figuring out a way to run the coils/shocks in the back. I'm definitely going to run 14"-16" 2.5 Swayaways in the front. Should be pretty easy to setup. I'm going to do radius arms as the guy threw in the arms (BEEFY) in the front with a trackbar.

Anybody want to give me some feedback on how they ran coils/shocks with 1 tons in the rear (without making the rear uninhabitable for passengers)