• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1971 Window wiper motor wiring replacement

rac1971

Loc.
Sparks
I’m replacing my non working 70’s wiper motor with a remanufactered one out of an early 70’s mustang. It bolts up fine and is clocked correctly but the wiring is slightly different all the colors match except the blue to original green wire. Every time I switch it on the 15 amp fuse pops. Need any help?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you disconnect one wire at a time? I’m thinking that to blow a 15 amp fuse you might have more than just a heavy load. You might have a dead short.
If you disconnect at a time and turn on the switch, see if the fuse still blows.
Overhead, just disconnect the whole thing. If the fuse still blows, then the short is either on the switch, or the wiring through the windshield frame. If disconnecting wires stops the fuse blower, then the motor may be jammed up, miss, wired, or defective.

You said this is remanufactured and not new? I’d be a little surprised if it was a defective motor. But then again, I am rarely surprised about defective parts anymore!

OP
OP
R

rac1971

Loc.
Sparks
Can you disconnect one wire at a time? I’m thinking that to blow a 15 amp fuse you might have more than just a heavy load. You might have a dead short.
If you disconnect at a time and turn on the switch, see if the fuse still blows.
Overhead, just disconnect the whole thing. If the fuse still blows, then the short is either on the switch, or the wiring through the windshield frame. If disconnecting wires stops the fuse blower, then the motor may be jammed up, miss, wired, or defective.

You said this is remanufactured and not new? I’d be a little surprised if it was a defective motor. But then again, I am rarely surprised about defective parts anymore!
All my connections are soldered and fuse is fine with everything plugged in just when I turn to the slow position fuse pops. I’ve even tried and additional ground to the motor itself. I can try your suggestion but I’m thinking maybe the wiring in the window frame

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, unless somebody here knows different, you should find a Mustang wiring diagram and make sure you don’t have a low speed power wire connected directly to ground.

So the wires are soldered to the motor? No connector up at the top of the windshield frame?