• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Drivability issues (pass#2) - - {NEED HELP}

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
Greenville South Carolina
Good morning,
Wanted to make a 2nd pass for any insight on this crazy driving 1974 of mine. I've rebuilt most of the front end and it still drives like hot garbage at 30 mph. Here's a couple images and the list of item's I've replaced.
Drive issues are just lack of stability. kind of wonders all over the lane, no more darting and no death wobble.
  • Borgerson 14:1 Steering box
  • Adjustable steering linkage
  • Adjustable track bar
  • Pittman arm
  • Progressive springs
  • 7* C Bushings
The Ball joints were replaced by the previous owner about a year ago, and the wheels appear tight. (not wiggly at all) The alignment image is posted up as well. Any suggestions for next steps as I'm baffled. I'm no mechanic but have been willing to learn as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
What condition is the rear suspension in?
Check torque of u-bolts. Are bushings in shackles and leaf spring eyes in good shape?
Post a side view photo of Bronco. Is back end significantly lower or higher then front?

OP
OP
Luckie1127

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
What condition is the rear suspension in?
Check torque of u-bolts. Are bushings in shackles and leaf spring eyes in good shape?
Post a side view photo of Bronco. Is back end significantly lower or higher then front?
I've torqued all the afore mentioned bolts to spec (found online) Bushings and leaf springs appear in good shape. Front has a slight rake to it but nothing uncommon. Rig is on a 2.5" suspension lift with a 1" body lift and running 33/12.50/15 inch tires with PSI of 28.

Attachments

• B12.jpg
    B12.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 19

Fair Oaks Mustang

I would try giving it a little more toe. Wouldn't be hard to try and if it doesn't make a difference, you can always return it to current.

Edit: If it is your first time adjusting toe, be aware that small adjustments/turns make a big difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luckie1127

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
I would try giving it a little more toe. Wouldn't be hard to try and if it doesn't make a difference, you can always return it to current.

Edit: If it is your first time adjusting toe, be aware that small adjustments/turns make a big difference.
YES and thank you. My goal was to have it 1/8" toe in, and we hit the 1/16" and stopped there. The only thing not replaced "again" are ball joints.

Fair Oaks Mustang

YES and thank you. My goal was to have it 1/8" toe in, and we hit the 1/16" and stopped there. The only thing not replaced "again" are ball joints.
Mine was at an 1/8" and I took it to almost a 1/4" and it really helped my highway driving characteristics.

Contributor
Try taking the steering stabilizer off. In my experience they do more harm than good.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Mine was at an 1/8" and I took it to almost a 1/4" and it really helped my highway driving characteristics.
I have the same specs as you. 2.5" suspension and 1" body lift with 7* bushings. 33x12.5x15 that I run around 26psi.
I do have my toe set at between 1/4 and 5/16 and it handles great at all speeds so you may want to increase that.

Contributor
I don't think so, but if you can tell me how to check them, i'll gladly do so in the morning.

It’s a bit much to type but if you go on YouTube and search “how to check for bent axle housing” you’ll get some good videos with a few different methods. Sometimes it might be clear just looking at the axle to see if the tubes are pushed back or something. I like the measuring method to the center of the tire and then rotating the tire and if it comes off center with the tape measure it’ll be clear. There are some videos that do a good job of explaining this that will pop up when you search on there.
I have seen Dana 30’s up to Dana 60’s be bent, same with 9” rears up to 14 bolts and Sterling 10.5s.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you have suggestions to try in the other thread?
Why would you start a new one about the same thing? No reason to rehash some of the same old things. Just bring the old discussion back to the top and get people looking at it again.
Of course, a little late for that now. But at least post a link to it so we can toggle back-and-forth (if we want to) and see what was already discussed so we don’t have to say it again.

Did we talk about doing the Steering test in that last discussion? We’ve gone over it a lot of times over the years, because it can really show up small faults.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Make sure that the nut on the power steering pitman arm didn't bottom out on the threads, too. I've read that some people have had to add a washer.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Luckie1127

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
Did you have suggestions to try in the other thread?
Why would you start a new one about the same thing? No reason to rehash some of the same old things. Just bring the old discussion back to the top and get people looking at it again.
Of course, a little late for that now. But at least post a link to it so we can toggle back-and-forth (if we want to) and see what was already discussed so we don’t have to say it again.

Did we talk about doing the Steering test in that last discussion? We’ve gone over it a lot of times over the years, because it can really show up small faults.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/steering-issues-on-74-sport-need-help.322803/
My Apologies DD, didn't realize that was the preferred etiquette. I'll take my punishment as it sits. I'll search threads since there's "so many" posted over the years. Didn't mean to upset the apple cart, honestly just trying to get the rig drivable, and respect this forum holds a tremendous amount of knowledge. Appreciate your insight/time.