• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 Bronco Front End

FOMOCO111

I recently purchased a '77 Bronco and the owner told me it needed a tie rod. I spoke to the guys at Bronco Graveyard and they said most guys replace both tie rods at the same, which I agree with.

Does anyone have any additional recommendations since I will have the front end off the ground and torn apart? Should I get a front end alignment after I install the new tie rods? I have never done this job before but I can get the right tools and make it happen.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Make sure you are comfortable with the process, after all we are talking a steering component. I would strongly suggest an alignment.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I have both a 76 & 77 and converted the 76 to the older style steering rather than the inverted Y. Good steering is critical to our safety and handling. If you look on the different vendor websites you'll see several options. Good luck.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
If you have it torn apart check everything in the linkage. If you are not sure take it to a shop to have it looked at.
If you need one part I would bet you need a few more.
What kind of lift is on it?
Add your location. I am sure one of us will help.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The alignment is pretty easy to do yourself. At least close enough to get to a shop you can only adjust the tow. It is 1/8 to 1/4 closer in the front than the back level with the axle . But its good to get to see where your other measuremets are.

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
I recently purchased a '77 Bronco and the owner told me it needed a tie rod. I spoke to the guys at Bronco Graveyard and they said most guys replace both tie rods at the same, which I agree with.

Does anyone have any additional recommendations since I will have the front end off the ground and torn apart? Should I get a front end alignment after I install the new tie rods? I have never done this job before but I can get the right tools and make it happen.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm currently in the exact same position on my 77. Like a newbie I had to learn the hard way. I bought the only available drivers side link only to find out that the whole system is a) worn out And b) a bad design anyway. A couple of sites offer a 3 way adjustable tie rod under set up that actually reverts back to the older stronger-better design. That is the way I'm going cause I don't have the tools or the time to make my own and I don't want to ream my knuckles to go to a tie rod over set up. Hope this helps.