• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 ?????

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
What are the good parts off of a Ford Explorer???? May be able to purchase one for a song and a dance, running condition,not road worthy because of body damage. No drivetrain damage at all,less than 100,000 miles
Engine?
Trans?
Transfer?
Brakes?
Anything?

Thanks

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Rear end is nice, some have used the rear brake setup, you could also sell to jeeper crowd, popular. I kept the one from the exp I parted out.

if its a 4wd the 4r70w trans is great to keep and use or sell, I am using the 5.0 4r70w setup in my next build.

Some have made the seats work.

The radiator overflow tank is handy.

Cut the moon roof out and weld it into your hard top (have it, havent put it on yet...the roof angle is very close. Roof rack fits nicely.

Could try and use the tilt column if you use the 4r70w, I didnt have a chance to take it out before I scrapped it.

You can sell a lot of the little things on ebay as well.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Yup yup, I used the motor as is, swapped on mustang components for the efi control, dropped a dizzy in, etc. Search explorer efi and you will find a few threads with some fabulous info on the swap. It can be a little work but I think it is worth it. I have done 1 swap already, have another ready to drop in and will be looking for a 3rd for my next project.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The engine has good heads in regards to the were the least sucky of the stock offerings, but still not great compared to the current aftermarket stuff. Biggest issue is the angle of the spark plugs is a little different then normal 5.0 heads. This tends to put the plug and plug wire into the exhaust manifold/header. There are a handful of fixes for this.

The intake is a cast version of the Cobra/GT40. A very nice intake. Throttle body is 65mm instead of a standard mustang 60mm so a nice little upgrade as well.

A great crowning jewel is the accessory drive. The passenger side may require a little clearancing to clear the crossmember but it gets you a great clutched fan and a full accessory drive that is very compact. Fits Broncos very well.

Skip the transfer case. Most V8 (every one I have ever seen) lack low range. There are rumors of 2-speed transfer cases used but I have never seen one attached to a V8 Explorer. They would be late model electric shift units anyway.

Trans is great.

Front brakes no good
Rear brakes can work but often require a LOT of work to get them to work. New shafts and a new housing may be needed along with redrilling the rotors.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
does the 5.o engine have good heads? and or intakes?

It has both. The exhaust manifolds or headers are somewhat hard to fit with those GT40P heads though (I think the 98's had the P heads). Tito was able to use stock EB exhaust manifolds with them. Don't overlook the serpentine drive system, it's the best one available for an EB.

OP
OP
Michael Homan

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
Thanks for all info past and future.
I may just have to look into my funds a little futher,but it sounds like a good deal!

Thanks guys
As always great info from all!!!!!

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Maybe somebody can clarify this also, but if the spark plug/exhaust manifold interference is an issue, do the stock explorer manifolds, or stock Mustang GT/cobra headers resolve that issue? And do they fit in the EB (I think the tubular headers fit based on what I was told here in another thread, but not sure)....

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Don't overlook the serpentine drive system, it's the best one available for an EB.

what's the advantage of the serpentine setup? i was looking into one of these, but dunno how hard it is to convert or the benefits.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
what's the advantage of the serpentine setup? i was looking into one of these, but dunno how hard it is to convert or the benefits.

It has a thermal-clutch controlled fan that moves a massive amount of air. It's short and will easily fit between the engine and radiator, even 4-core radiators. The internally regulated alternator puts out 130 amps. The PS pump is better than the old Thompson pump.

Drawbacks are water inlet/outlet are reversed, no mechanical fuel pump provision, need to re-balance the explorer balancer or use aftermarket pulley if used on 28 oz engine, need to adapt PS hose. I'm probably missing a few things here.

MarsChariot submitted a tech article recently detailing every possible aspect of the conversion. Hopefully it'll be up soon.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
never ever having to tighten another belt again ever = benefit.

also - not having your 3G alternator squeal every time your start the truck is a good benefit.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
hahaha, those sound like good things indeed. I have an onboard Link-Arc welder (that i never use), would i be able to use the explorer alternator to power the welder?