• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2024 Is This theYear I Finally Make Progress on My 12 plus year Build update: cranking and firing, no fuel yet

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Resolved to make time for my project this year. currently working on getting it to exhaust shop for exhaust system. Plan is to pull body again after that and finish running gear. Already completed, engine rebuild, 4r70 rebuild, Dana 20 rebuild , new rear end housing with disc, used carrier and completed Dana 44 with everything new. Need, driveshafts and brake kit (hydro). I have many other parts but lack a/c also. I have everything for explorer Efi, wiring it up while I wait on parts for exhaust. ECM will go out this week for programming. Plan is to get everything on frame and Efi done with body off. Body and frame have both been chemically dipped and stripped followed by being dipped in e-coat. Will post pics starting tomorrow. If I never finished this project I could say I have met and made many friends on this site. Broncos are a hobby for me and I am an enthusiast, so I don’t lose sleep over no progress, but I really want to ride again. Thanks to all those who answer questions no matter how many times older guys like me ask them.

Last edited:

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Resolved to make time for my project this year. currently working on getting it to exhaust shop for exhaust system. Plan is to pull body again after that and finish running gear. Already completed, engine rebuild, 4r70 rebuild, Dana 20 rebuild , new rear end housing with disc, used carrier and completed Dana 44 with everything new. Need, driveshafts and brake kit (hydro). I have many other parts but lack a/c also. I have everything for explorer Efi, wiring it up while I wait on parts for exhaust. ECM will go out this week for programming. Plan is to get everything on frame and Efi done with body off. Body and frame have both been chemically dipped and stripped followed by being dipped in e-coat. Will post pics starting tomorrow. If I never finished this project I could say I have met and made many friends on this site. Broncos are a hobby for me and I am an enthusiast, so I don’t lose sleep over no progress, but I really want to ride again. Thanks to all those who answer questions no matter how many times older guys like me as them.
Nice to hear I'm not alone with my New Years Resolution. I'm "re" starting mine too this year after many years of it rusting and collecting dust. I'm doing a full Expo 5.0 and 4R swap. I'll bookmark your thread and learn.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice to hear I'm not alone with my New Years Resolution. I'm "re" starting mine too this year after many years of it rusting and collecting dust. I'm doing a full Expo 5.0 and 4R swap. I'll bookmark your thread and learn.
Same here .

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good luck to both of you! Try to get at least a little something done each day if possible.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good luck to both of you! Try to get at least a little something done each day if possible.
Ared, basically the plan to touch it mon - fir, i am retired.
that is the plan, touch it as often as possible.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Well might as well throw me in the group too.

Mine has been down for the last 5 years and has been repainted, mostly new everything, 5.8, Ford EFI, 4R70w, Atlas II etc. Like a giant model/kit car sitting in the shop and it needs to be running come late spring when the winter roads are clear and salt has been washed away...

I probably have 95% of what I need already in the shop, just lacking new driveshafts and some misc stuff.

Good luck gentlemen.

Maybe we need a thread for all of us wayward souls to hold us accountable and to check in?

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hodge podge of stuff I have laying around

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1175.jpeg
    IMG_1175.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1179.jpeg
    IMG_1179.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1176.jpeg
    IMG_1176.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Cheers to 2024 and a few more EBs, back on the road again. Mine, has not been down as long as some of you. But it still feels like an eternity. I to, hope to join the posie on the trails this year. Good luck to all of you. I will be following all of you in this journey.

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
Get after it, one task at a time! I have to get mine back on the road ASAP.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
You can do it! I'm getting very close to being (mostly) finished. We all know they are never completely finished :ROFLMAO:. I got the engine bay wiring "less temporary" now. "Less temporary" means all critical components hooked up and routed, but none of the wires trimmed to length. Just want to make sure everything works and are in their final placements before making it all permanent and cutting wire to length. Dash still has the big hole I cut in it to finish up. I'll be making a cover with all the knobs and switches to bolt onto it. Makes for easy access to anything behind the dash. Wiring is currently enough that I can run and drive it. I added a 2nd fuse box and a relay box to bypass most of the high current through the ignition switch (the lights, heater fan, aux lights, and ignition will all go through relays). Interior is 99% complete, still need to cover up the shifters. 3rd member on the 9" needs a new seal eventually...

It runs and drives though! That's a big milestone!

5a873b92ee7e77b43e177ae5bcb31eda.jpg

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
waiting on parts, taking care of some small items. Need exhaust so i can pull body and finish frame, exhaust parts should be here tomorrow and then off to the muffler shop. I did start laying out a console.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Going to muffler shop Monday morning, then back home to take the body off once more.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
You’ll be cruising this thing down to Bumpers in no time!

I forgot to get your pic today. I’ll try to grab it tomorrow!

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Muffler shop did not open due to weather. Got a practice run on loading and unloading the bronco lol.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Same thing happened to me last. Went to muffler shop on a snowy Monday, closed. Stopped again on Tuesday after work. The front counter person said the crew took off early. They were all up very early doing snow removal. One more try on Wednesday, Success! Took them all of 10 minutes to bend a mid pipe from my Duff kit, just a little more. Can't complain much, no charge. At least I didn't have to bring the whole rig.

Keep after it and you will be done before you know it.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
If I remember correctly, mine hasn't been on the road since late 1996 or early 1997. My plan for this year is to at least get her roadworthy again. Initial push is all new brakes, lines, and hardware from the pedal to the wheels, including front disc conversion from a '78 Bronco. Then see if I can salvage the steering shaft some jackass cross-threaded the steering wheel nut onto, along with a new turn signal switch (original reason I stopped driving it). Then redo the fuel system tank to carburetor, and finally the ignition system. I have gathered the vast majority of the parts I need, I just need to get it from sitting in the dirt to sitting on the concrete so I can get started. And at some point I suppose I need to get some good tires on her...