• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed tunnel cover, Steel VS Fiberglass

Bustedbroc

Contributor
74 EB 3 speed manual, looking to convert to a floor shifter. I like the idea of the Duff offset shifter but I kinda like the idea of a steel tunnel cover like shown on Jeff's BG, https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Tunnel-Cover-Steel/productinfo/11543/, vs the fiberglass one offered on JD, https://dufftuff.com/product/3-speed-fiberglass-tunnel-cover/. It appears from the photo's the shifter hole is offset a bit differently front to back from one another. Does anyone have practical experience with both? I would think that either should work with Duff's or the Hurst shifter? It would be nice to keep this process as simple as possible. FYI, I have already installed a twin stick for the xfer case from Jeff's if that matters. Thanks

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m thinking it comes down to individual taste and preferences. Had a Duff floor shifter on a previous EB. The shop that did the work fabricated a tunnel cover out of 14 gauge metal. My opinion is the metal cover gives more protection from “dropped objects” and allows more flexibility in installation. Just my nickel’s worth.

Randy

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Metal should be thinner if you want to carpet over it. The fiberglass tends to be too thick so it usually sits proud of the carpet.

OP
OP
Bustedbroc

Bustedbroc

Contributor
My concern is if the metal one will work with the Duff shifter without modifying/cutting the shifter hole? The location of the hole looks more forward on JBG metal tunnel that the fiberglass. I would think the shifters themselves are in the same location.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m thinking it’s just a matter of where you mount the cover. Looks like the metal cover can be mounted farther back towards seat and out of the way of your leg. But that’s just my take on it and I have already been wrong at least once today.

Randy

OP
OP
Bustedbroc

Bustedbroc

Contributor
Yeah, I thought I read somewhere that the shifter mechanism itself is the same (Hurst) between what Duff sells and Jeff's kit. Can anyone confirm that? I also thought I read that the only difference is the actual shifter lever on the Duff has a more comfortable bend in it for better leg room. If that is the case I would believe either one would come thru the floor in approx the same location.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
I was thinkin of sompin even a lill different, kinda like the ol FJ & some european “plates” over that area.
Have a plate 4X the size of the boot. Allow it to bolt down (15?) around its parimiter. The boot comes w/ as part of it
when unbolting. More access to the area (even a lill wrk on e brake, etc). I like it as it’s removable (like boot/bezel) but has
more space, is easily placed dwn again. I’d tack the hold down bolts to the floor from underneath, have big 10 mm bolt heads in
pass compartment (I dont use a rug. Flat head counter sunks could wrk for rugs.) I could take the plate to have a bead made @ edge for
stiffness. May B ‘glue’ a gen purpose rubber (spounge like but harder) piece in there for dust’n H2O.