• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

331 Stroker, 347 Stroker, or 351W? Custom built or crate?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
OK, I suppose that I need to build an application matrix, and start giving advice in bins. There are a couple of bins that include people who are made of money, and people who build vs buy. and people who start projects, and people who finish them. Then there are the people who use their stuff, and there's people who leave it on the trailer.

If you have a spot in your garage for twisted off axles, shafts, and broken gears, and you have felt a 35 spline 9 inch ARB slipping at 80 psi...you get a special place in the matrix.
If you have a Bronco in your garage, covered in laundry, with the engine under a tarp in the backyard, and $25K of new Bronco vendor parts still in the box...you get different advice.
If your Bronco is still running, and has something that looks like an old plow welded to the frame horns, and will start if you have a screwdriver...you get different advice.
And if you are pulling parts off of one Bronco to keep the other Bronco running, you get different advice.

There are people that think spending $500 on an engine is too much. There are people that think spending $5k is too little. The Bronco world was much less complex when Broncos were cheap and plentiful. Please forgive me. When the OP @Sendero started with: "I have a 92 5.0 leftover..." I pretty much put him in the "budget" category. The fact that he mandated a Manual Transmission place him in the "I'm actually going to drive it" category. and the "I got time..." means I'm not afraid to do work. And "reputable engine manufacturer" means I'm willing to pay some, but I don't want to get ripped off.

I'm pretty sure that @Jarrett h and his Coyote swapped trailer queens didn't start their builds with: "I got a burned out 92 Mustang..."

So am I the ONLY person that regrets building a fully forged 5.0 roller 347? Yeah, maybe. But I wanted the 8.2 deck so that my induction would fit under the hood. Yeah, I ran SRP flat tops, Eagle Crank, H-beam rods,neutral balance with an E-303 cam with 185 AFR heads, and GT40 induction. And I built it myself, and it wasn't cheap. And yeah, I bought the Motorsport M6010-Boss302 4 bolt main block...just so that I could get a clutch pivot boss cast in the block. And when I got ALL done, I realized that I had invented a really expensive 351W. And I never spun it over 5K rpm, and it was a dumb idea.
When I built my Coyote, I realized that everything on a Coyote just barely doesn't fit. The accessory drive, and lack of OEM parts means that every one of them will be obsolete in 10 years. Most of them are obsolete already. God help you if you need to change a cam phaser and you have an early Gen 1. If you own a Coyote, and you haven't Googled "typewriter tick" then I recommend that you don't. And just remain blissfully ignorant.

So, long intro to a simple answer:
1. More money than brains: Coyote 5.0
2. More time than money: 1996 Ford 351W.
3. I break shit, and like to go fast, and when someone is stuck, they call me: Blueprint 408W.
4. I ain't rich, and I need a Bronco that runs now: Mustang 5.0.
5. I need cheap reliable horsepower, I have no friends, and I don't want any: LS swap.

Done.
Wow, love this...

Can I claim a hybrid mix of 1-3 since I started this so many years ago when the Mustang swap wasn't really known, was expensive, drove it for a year and then threw an ungodly amount of money into the rebuild? I think I spent more on this damn intake manifold than some do on their engine and I bought it 24 years ago...

I'm afraid of what that makes me.

If I had no engine today, I might fit in #3.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
The list is getting longer, but it is a big tent. So there's room for a few specials:

3. I break shit, and like to go fast, and when someone is stuck, they call me: Blueprint 408W.
5. I need cheap reliable horsepower, I have no friends, and I don't want any: LS swap.
6. My mission in life is to break shit so I can build it stronger and break it again. When I get stuck, I call myself: Bigger than 408 or supercharged.
7. I found something in the yard. It doesn't belong near a Bronco. I'm going to use it: BB460, 351C, 4BT, R2.8 anything FE

It is worth noting that people in category 1, and category 7 will often need an additional Bronco in order to have something to actually drive.

Category 1 will somehow find a way to inform you of their status. It will come out in every conversation. Usually in the second sentence after "hello."

Category 3, 6, and 7 will also inform you of their status. But it is much more subtle. Their hood is up, and the Bronco is broken. Their status is usually revealed by a bystander. "What's the Problem? Oh, never mind..."

Category 5 is much more reserved, and far more annoying. "I'm sorry that I had to pull you out with my LS..."

Category 8, is pending. It is the unholy union of Category 4, and Category 7. It starts out fine, but then somehow something gets added that defies all reason. Kind of like the guy that puts 3 catalytic converters on his 5.0 swap. Or the guy that puts a custom intake on his Fox 5.0, so that he has to invent a cam trigger. Or anyone that puts a 700R4 into a Bronco. These guys will waste a dollar to save a nickel.

Category 9 is also coming soon. That's the guy that needs to tell you that they have a 306.

I'm not naming names. You all know who you are. @ba123

Last edited:

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
The list is getting longer, but it is a big tent. So there's room for a few specials:

6. My mission in life is to break shit so I can build it stronger and break it again. When I get stuck, I call myself. Bigger than 408 or supercharged.
7. I found something in the yard. It doesn't belong near a Bronco. I'm going to use it. BB460, 4BT, R2.8.

It is worth noting that people in category 1, and category 7 will often need an additional Bronco in order to have something to actually drive.

Category 1,5, and 7 will somehow find a way to inform you of their status. It will come out in every conversation. Usually in the second sentence after "hello."

Category 3, 6, and 7 will also inform you of their status. But it is much more subtle. Their hood is up, and the Bronco is broken. Their status is usually revealed by a bystander. "What's the Problem? Oh, never mind..."

Category 5 is much more reserved, and far more annoying. "I'm sorry that I had to pull you out with my LS..."

Category 8, is pending. It is the unholy union of Category 4, and Category 7. It starts out fine, but then somehow something gets added that defies all reason. Kind of like the guy that puts 3 catalytic converters on his 5.0 swap. Or the guy that puts a custom intake on his Fox 5.0, so that he has to invent a cam trigger. Or anyone that puts a 700R4 into a Bronco. These guys will waste a dollar to save a nickel.

Category 9 is also coming soon. That's the guy that needs to tell you that they have a 306.

I'm not naming names. You all know who you are. @ba123
That's funny.

I certainly did not put the intake on there so I could invent the cam trigger though. Originally, I had every intent of running that dumb-ass belt driven distributor. Then when it came down to it and I had that thing mounted, i just stood there, staring at it, and said WTFH? No way. And then yes, I threw a bunch more money away instead.

Oh, and I also have a 306, but never mentioned that.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey, hey, hey, let's not lump the 700R4 guys in the same category as those first two guys :).

Jon should make a sticky of your post with the categories - it's a keeper for sure!

Todd Z.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Hey, hey, hey, let's not lump the 700R4 guys in the same category as those first two guys :).

Jon should make a sticky of your post with the categories - it's a keeper for sure!

Todd Z.
And while we're at it, I don't appreciate being put int he same cat-egory as the cat guy.

:cool:

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I think I'm a (2+3+4)/3. I'm very happy with my Blueprint 408 and I've made a couple of runs to high rpm just to see what it's like, but I still drive it pretty much like my previous 5.0, which is to say gently. A little extra zip is nice when entering the freeway on the ridiculously short onramps in my part of the world, but I appreciate the oodles of extra midrange torque the most when the Bronco is loaded with camping gear and I'm trying to maintain highway speed at high altitude. And oddly, I may have mentioned this, I get about the same fuel economy (or lack of economy) with the 408 as I did with the 5.0. Not that I'm complaining. And then there is the knowledge that it's there :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
James-
You forgot "6A". :)
The guys here that have seen me wheel would not put me in #6. Hood is never up and I really HATE breakin' stuff... People ask and I'll talk but not a "gotta tell 'em what I got guy"- just not.
I do run every part of my build hard tho. 60+ mph through the dune whoops to 5900rpm for 1min 45sec in 4' deep wet concrete snow with the tires turning at 35mph but only doing about 15mph. It should last forever under these wheeling conditions! Why not? I need to be a parts tester. :)

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
be different....

Attachments

• 80617548_10216109249990102_5171770678906454016_o.jpg
    80617548_10216109249990102_5171770678906454016_o.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 39

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
Reviving this thread . Putting in my second 331 stroker. ( only because I have a very reputable engine builder here and utilizing original 302 block. )
My first 331 I Installed Fi tech EFI. Love it and Bronco has all the torque and HP I would ever need. Build sheet put HP @ 415HP on first 331.
My question to you guys is : Going with carburetor on this one and have a Edelbrock ASV 2 1906 650 brand new here. Will this work properly with this motor?
Builder is saying I may want to step up to a 750 with this build. Any input here Gurus?

nvrstuk

Contributor
750 cfm is pretty big for a 331 unless you are making 500hp and 8,000 rpm and I'm speaking for something besides a Qjet.

Qjet can be bolted on that 331 and you'd be ok. I would say that 650dfm would be fine for street use. I don't know what the ASV 2 model is.

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
Just drivability. Not gonna be drag racing anytime soon. Was more concerned with running smoothly and no issues.

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
750 cfm is pretty big for a 331 unless you are making 500hp and 8,000 rpm and I'm speaking for something besides a Qjet.

Qjet can be bolted on that 331 and you'd be ok. I would say that 650dfm would be fine for street use. I don't know what the ASV 2 model is.
That’s what I was hoping to hear. Pretty much gonna be same motor as 331 in my 75. Shooting for the 415 HP with 400 #s torque. Really like one in my 75 with C4 tranny . Wasnt sure what carburated version of this would be like. I have a brand new Edelbrock 1906 with 650 cfm sitting on the shelf in the shop and was hoping it would work for this motor. Sounds like it’s going too. Thanks for your input. Appreciate it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Smooth, no issues, driveability = a roller cam w/decent spec's but not too much duration, excellent flow both IN & OUT, Exploder dress so a good cooling system can be used, and if running a carb I would once again recommend a Q-jet for low end torque, excellent mileage, throttle response is unmatched for a carb. Guys here seem to be liking Bruce at Carbs Unlimited (I think that's him) in AZ.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, I suppose that I need to build an application matrix, and start giving advice in bins. There are a couple of bins that include people who are made of money, and people who build vs buy. and people who start projects, and people who finish them. Then there are the people who use their stuff, and there's people who leave it on the trailer.

If you have a spot in your garage for twisted off axles, shafts, and broken gears, and you have felt a 35 spline 9 inch ARB slipping at 80 psi...you get a special place in the matrix.
If you have a Bronco in your garage, covered in laundry, with the engine under a tarp in the backyard, and $25K of new Bronco vendor parts still in the box...you get different advice.
If your Bronco is still running, and has something that looks like an old plow welded to the frame horns, and will start if you have a screwdriver...you get different advice.
And if you are pulling parts off of one Bronco to keep the other Bronco running, you get different advice.

There are people that think spending $500 on an engine is too much. There are people that think spending $5k is too little. The Bronco world was much less complex when Broncos were cheap and plentiful. Please forgive me. When the OP @Sendero started with: "I have a 92 5.0 leftover..." I pretty much put him in the "budget" category. The fact that he mandated a Manual Transmission place him in the "I'm actually going to drive it" category. and the "I got time..." means I'm not afraid to do work. And "reputable engine manufacturer" means I'm willing to pay some, but I don't want to get ripped off.

I'm pretty sure that @Jarrett h and his Coyote swapped trailer queens didn't start their builds with: "I got a burned out 92 Mustang..."

So am I the ONLY person that regrets building a fully forged 5.0 roller 347? Yeah, maybe. But I wanted the 8.2 deck so that my induction would fit under the hood. Yeah, I ran SRP flat tops, Eagle Crank, H-beam rods,neutral balance with an E-303 cam with 185 AFR heads, and GT40 induction. And I built it myself, and it wasn't cheap. And yeah, I bought the Motorsport M6010-Boss302 4 bolt main block...just so that I could get a clutch pivot boss cast in the block. And when I got ALL done, I realized that I had invented a really expensive 351W. And I never spun it over 5K rpm, and it was a dumb idea.
When I built my Coyote, I realized that everything on a Coyote just barely doesn't fit. The accessory drive, and lack of OEM parts means that every one of them will be obsolete in 10 years. Most of them are obsolete already. God help you if you need to change a cam phaser and you have an early Gen 1. If you own a Coyote, and you haven't Googled "typewriter tick" then I recommend that you don't. And just remain blissfully ignorant.

So, long intro to a simple answer:

Done.
You forgot to include the explorer 5.0, you can find those in pull a part for around a 100-150 dollars. Last one we built had a bent rod but cylinders walls mic’d great.

nvrstuk

Contributor
You forgot to include the explorer 5.0, you can find those in pull a part for around a 100-150 dollars. Last one we built had a bent rod but cylinders walls mic’d great.
Complete Exploder for sure... amazing that lack of wear the cyl walls show with 200K miles! Testiment to EFI and metric style ring packs ... and all those other little updates since 1961 (for '62 cars 221ci). I remember them well. Worn out at 80K! lol

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I did not forget the Explorer 5.0, Because it is a Mustang 5.0 dressed up in an ugly station wagon. The only reason to run EDIS is to get an automatic transmission controller for free. Waste spark and coil packs are nonsense and garbage. There is no documented benefit to either, and there is a lot of empirical data that says it is "not better." Now that it is illegal to re-program your ECU and delete emissions related features...I never speak of "explorer." And everybody knows what I think of automatic transmissions. So there's that.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Complete Exploder for sure... amazing that lack of wear the cyl walls show with 200K miles! Testiment to EFI and metric style ring packs ... and all those other little updates since 1961 (for '62 cars 221ci). I remember them well. Worn out at 80K! lol
Yes, the cylinder wear is always minimal

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have one of those 221s sitting in my garage right now. It's just a 289 but with only a 3.5" bore. Some heads with the smallest chambers ever for a small block Ford, but also matched with tiny little valves and ports way too small to do anything with. Oh, it also runs backwards.