• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Guru needed on Weiand intake install

Dirtroadjunkie

I swapped the intake on my 351 last night and now I'm scared to start it. This morning I double thought a few things. There were less bolts, which the instructions say is normal. The other difference that I can't get over is the coolant passages towards the radiator of the heads. The Weiand has rectangular shaped openings, my heads have L shaped. Instructions said that their manifolds fit the different heads.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/351-windsor-intakes.629917/

This site says that my engine will now fill up with water.

Here's the link to installation instructions.

https://holley.com/products/intakes/dual_plane_manifolds/parts/8023

While installing I thought no big deal just a bigger port, plus its not brain surgery just an intake. It was getting dark and I was a couple beers in. Wish I had taken a better look.

Anyone have any insight to prevent me from pulling the intake to inspect more clearly??

1974 351 with a Weiand 8023.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Put water in it and see what happens.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Did you use this gasket?

Attachments

• early 351head.jpg
    early 351head.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 38

bax

Contributor
Old Member
If I was not using the bolt I would fill and seal the bolt hole

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I have never had an issue with this. Kind of interesting used to work in a machine shop building motors and alot of them were 351w never heard anything about this.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Could do what Bax said would should help take your mind off the problem

OP
OP
D

Dirtroadjunkie

Yep I used a gasket like that. Fel-Pro. I carved it to match the rectangular manifold ports. May have been better not to carve. I don't see how leaving the gasket material there would have sealed the hole off long term.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
That's an unusual gasket. It looks like they made a channel in it to bleed off leaking coolant to keep it out of the intake port.

OP
OP
D

Dirtroadjunkie

Too late. Intakes off, holes are sealed, picking up new gaskets in the morning. If there blind holes curse the one that I saw on that link. Better safe than sorry. If there's a hard way to do something it will always be my way.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
I've been running that intake on a 93 351 for 18,000 miles with no problems.