• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w engine from a 1977 Winnebago motor home

dave vh

Loc.
Lock haven
I just got a 351w that came out of a 1977 Winnebago camper… was this a good choice for swapping into my 74 bronco that has a 302 in it now.. not sure if there is any difference in it since it was in a motor home .. the camper only had 36,000 miles on it .
Thank you

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Typical rule of thumb on motorhome engines, multiply the mileage by 2X due to harder use.
Motorhome engines are typically of the lower compression varity, closer to marine engines or other industrial engines. They have no issues running flat out as hard as they will go for hours on end.

Being from a motorhome you probably have a really desirable intake manifold. 4-barrel? Very low profile, as in the carb is really low on the intake and the runners have a little rise as they go into the ports? That is the good one for fitting a 351 under a stock hood without a body lift or hood bubble.

OP
OP
D

dave vh

Loc.
Lock haven
I will need an intake manifold as he sold that cause he was going to put an aftermarket one on it.. but I have a Holley 4 barrel on my 302 I was planning on using.. didn’t think it was a bad deal as it came with a brand new 1000lb engine stand .. all for 100 bucks .. I used to work with the guy so I trust it was okay when he took it out of the rv

Broncobowsher

Total hack
$100 is a deal.
I consider a core at $200 that may need a rebuild.
Or think of it as you bought an engine stand and it happen to include a free engine.

OP
OP
D

dave vh

Loc.
Lock haven
lol that’s what he said.. he was going to build a high horse power motor out of it for his truck but divorce changed the plans .. good for me though is there a certain oil pan I need .. I saw I. Some threads that the oil pan will need changed on it