• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W heater hose routing

Jamoaus

Hoping someone can help me.
72 bronco with a 351W and an edelbrock avs2. PO hadn't hooked up the heater hoses and trying to figure out the routing. Anyone have a picture or diagram? I can see the inlet and outlet from the firewall but not sure where to connect the hoses? Any help is appreciated!

pnctOHcxj

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
This hose is bypassing the heater core.

2023-03-01_202005.jpg

Supply hose should run from intake manifold fitting back to temp control valve (near back of carb), then over to heater core. Return hose goes from heater core to waterpump.

2023-03-01_201756.jpg

Pick up (2) GATES 28471 heater hoses. 5/8 x 40"
They work well to to turn 90 degrees at heater core fittings.

2023-03-01_205043.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamoaus

This hose is bypassing the heater core.

View attachment 898009

Supply hose should run from intake manifold fitting back to temp control valve (near back of carb), then over to heater core. Return hose goes from heater core to waterpump.

View attachment 898010

Pick up (2) GATES 28471 heater hoses. 5/8 x 40"
They work well to to turn 90 degrees at heater bcore fittings.

View attachment 898013

Awesome thank you.

So to make sure I'm understanding this..

The hose at the top needs to go to heater control valve and then into the heater core and then the outlet needs to come out to the hose at the bottom (the hose you pointed out?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but... brace yourself for a heater core leak. A common reason for bypassing them. Fortunately replacements are readily available and it's only a somewhat obnoxious job to replace the core if that's the case.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
And because someone will ask:
Which are in & out to heater core?
Looking at the Ford service manual, the answer is . . . YES.
If you have a 6 cylinder, in is on driver side,
if you have a 8 cylinder, in is on passenger side

2023-03-02_090403.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Never seen the factory flow through the cooler before. The short answer, doesn't matter which side of the heater core gets fluid first. Whichever the hoses line up best.

Now the heater control valve, that one actually does matter. That goes on the hose off the intake manifold. Why? pressure. When the valve is closed the pressure is shut off before the heater core. The hoses on the water pump are suction hoses. The pressure side of the pump goes into the block. Small block fords have been known for blowing up heater cores for the past 60 years when you get the motor reved up from the pressure off the water pump. A closed heater valve after the heater (on the water pump hose) will subject the heater core to the full pressure with none of the flow that could relive the pressure. Yes, I have done it wrong a few times when I didn't know better, and had to replace the heater core more than once.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...doesn't matter which side of the heater core gets fluid first. Whichever the hoses line up best.
True dat. Hot coolant exits the (V8) engine near the front crossover of the intake manifold going to the heater core. It returns near the water pump. But it doesn't matter which direction it flows through the core. It's actually good to reverse it every few years to keep sediment (which also contributes to corrosion/leaks) from building up in the core. And it's absolutely critical to change the coolant every 3 years regardless of miles. If you're not gonna drive, don't put coolant (or water) in the engine. Dry does less damage than wet, and coolant doesn't age in a plastic bottle.

OP
OP
J

Jamoaus

Thanks all for the assistance with advice, images etc. Greatly appreciated!! I'll let you know how it all goes!

OP
OP
J

Jamoaus

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but... brace yourself for a heater core leak. A common reason for bypassing them. Fortunately replacements are readily available and it's only a somewhat obnoxious job to replace the core if that's the case.

Good news.. heating is working. Bad news.. it's pissing coolant all over my interior. So I think you were right. PO had bypassed it for a reason.

...sigh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only three common reasons po’s do a bypass.
1. Trail-fix for a leak. Either in a hose or heater core.
2. A “temporary” fix for a leaking hose.
Hey, it’s only until I can get over to the store and buy some new hose.
3. A “temporary” fix for a heater control valve that won’t quite stop the flow so warm air is coming from the heater into the cabin.

Hey, it’s only temporary… unless it works!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry, forgot to mention one that’s probably becoming more common these days.
Especially for members of this forum.
Hey, I just wanted to fire the engine up to see if it runs.
And then maybe drive around a little bit. Even though there’s no brakes, no rear driveshaft, no seats, except for the lawnchair I’m using, and no exhaust because I’m still trying to figure out how to get it around all the other stuff I just installed.
But hey, after all these years I just had to drive it!

Last edited: