• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w from a 1998 Explorer 5.0 AWD a good choice?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Cooling - I have put a trans temp sensor in the pan of the 4R70W. Temps barely register for normal driving, hot days, prolonged uphill driving it goes up some from the lowest indicator. I will admit that I have tried to fit the biggest cooler in the space between the Rad and the grill. It can be a tight fit on the lower side and I have notched the bottom of the grill ever so slightly for clearance. With the Explorer front dress and huge amount air that the fan pulls I am pretty confident that with normal driving heat is not an issue. The only area that I have not been able to do testing is a long slow crawl uphill on a trail.

Front driveshaft - a 2" tube is mandatory. It is close fit... But I haven't made any contact with normal/light trail driving.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You guys are making it so tough not to jump on this project right now! Have to finish my front steering and 351w build first before I get on the trans. Cant wait. I have the in radiator cooler, a small one in front of the radiator and a fan powered Derale in the belly that keeps my C4 cool. Should keep the 4r nice and cool too.