• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w question

1976rangerrick

Loc.
Eustis
So I have a 4r70w that actually bolts up to 1975 302 engine but has a 3 bolt starter? Unfortunately found out I had a problem after the cost of rebuild. Spacer plate from 302 won’t work with transmission.
Am I screwed or can this be worked out. AGAIN bolts up to 302 engine perfectly

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I may be wrong but I believe you have the wrong 4r70w?

When I started looking for mine, I was told to only consider the ones with the 2 bolt starter as the others wouldn't work on the 302/5.0

For your sake I hope someone corrects me but I think your screwed.

MonsterBIlly

I have a 4r70w, I have the two bolt starter.
I did use my stock spacer, it didn't work at first because it was rubbing in the flexplate.
I took it out and clearanced it. Then it was fine. You may need to look into the 3 bolt situation more though.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I thought I heard the 3 bolt starter was for the mod motor...
I could be wrong though.

xltboy

Below is what I found with a quick search on Google.

Note: this is commonly called the Ford Small-block V8 pattern, though it is used in some "big block"-sized V8's as well as some V6's and I6's.

200 I6 1978-1983 only, partial (4 of 6 bolts) pattern.
250 I6
255 V8
289 V8 - (made after August 3, 1964) - had 6 bolts holding bellhousing to block
302 Cleveland (Australia)
351 Cleveland V8 (not the 351 Cleveland M-block engine)
351 Boss
351 Cobra Jet
302 Windsor V8
351 Windsor V8
400 Cleveland M-block V8 aka 400FMX (certain 1973 casting numbers D1AE and D3AE, mated to the FMX transmission)
3.8/3.9/4.2L Canadian Essex 90° V6 (RWD only)
240 I6
300 4.9 I6
4.6L Modular V8 (first two casting runs, numbers F1AE and F2VE)
302 5.0L Windsor V8
351 5.8L Windsor V8
Xltboy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mod motor trans won't bolt up to a Windsor family engine without an adapter. Unless there was some hybrid model I've never heard of, the two bell housing bolt patterns and shapes are completely different.

Have you tried a 3-bolt starter for that Explorer application?
I thought we'd had members in the past here that have made the two styles play nice with our engines. Maybe 904Bronco has run into it, since that's the 4R70W is his transmission of choice for the most part.
Maybe reach out to him via PM if he does not see this and jump into the fray.

Paul

OP
OP

1976rangerrick

Loc.
Eustis
Mod motor trans won't bolt up to a Windsor family engine without an adapter. Unless there was some hybrid model I've never heard of, the two bell housing bolt patterns and shapes are completely different.

Have you tried a 3-bolt starter for that Explorer application?
I thought we'd had members in the past here that have made the two styles play nice with our engines. Maybe 904Bronco has run into it, since that's the 4R70W is his transmission of choice for the most part.
Maybe reach out to him via PM if he does not see this and jump into the fray.

Paul
Thanks for everyones input. I hate losing money but i'm raising the white flag. I'm going to find a better donar from a known 5.0 motor with a 2 bolt starter.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
did you actually try fitting a 3-bolt starter?
What about your 2-bolt spacer plate did not work? Is it possible that you just need to do what MonsterBilly did with the clearancing?
Not sure, and perhaps he actually had the proper 4R70 for the 2-bolt to begin with. Just hate to see you trash the good trans if there are other options.

good luck either way though. Hate to see this, but it's not the first and likely won't be the last time we've had to start over after doing a lot of work.

paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nevermind I think. I'm guessing when you said the stock spacer would not work, it's because the bolt pattern is off in the wrong areas to just tweak it?

I was under the impression though, that two of the three bolts were in the same place as the 2-bolt starter.
Might be remembering incorrectly the discussions from before.

Paul