• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w Swap - Couple Questions

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Torque converter - Donor transmission is from a AWD 2000 V8 Explorer rebuilt with AA installed ready to go. Ive read the stock converter will work fine but to source a new/rebuilt one. 4r is going behind a wormed up 351 roller with torque cam, qjet, headers and GT40 heads. 35" tires with 4:30 gears.

Should I stick with the stock stall and what is a good source for a remanufactured converter?

Shift linkage - I plan to keep my stock column shift for now and go with the WH adapter.

I assume that the column indicator will stay the same and when in drive (D) electronically shift into overdrive?

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/aode-4r70w-automatic-shift-linkage-kit

Thanks,

JSBX

Contributor
I have almost the same set up as yours in my 74 except I have 4.56 gears. I used the stock torque converter. It seems to work good for me. The transmission shop that rebuilt my transmission got the TC for me so I can't say where the best place to get one from.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4r70. so it should take 700ft/lbs of torque easy peasy. stock should work fine, but i do like my hughes stuff.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If your cam is anywhere near stock the stock converter is great. I have a super boring 5.0 out of a Mustang, headers, EFI and it is great with the stock converter. Not sure about your shift linkage and front drive shaft that is a flaw on my install but it could be how I cut and fit the parts to the stock column. Stock suspension at full compression the link and front driveshaft touch.

If the fluid is clean I would use the converter as is. Unless you get a custom converter for your truck weight, tire size, rear gear and cam profile I find aftermarket gets too loose too quickly and you lose all the low end grunt.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
tc should match your cam.

(or at least be close enough)

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
The transmission shop that rebuilt my 4R sourced a stock type 'high stall' convertor that works great behind my 347 stroker.

I went with the shift linkage from Tom's with what looks like the same shift shaft (Lokar?) as the WH kit, paired with the stock column. Had to play with the clocking of the lever arm and rod adjustment to get it just right. IIRC, I centered the 'N' on the column with the trans to get full swing from P to 2nd at the trans. If you're running the quick 4 controller there's different modes you can program. I never use the column to downshift, just the thumb wheel push button to downshift it out of overdrive, which is nice in certain situations.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are 3 "stock" 4R70W convertors that will work with the small block, more when you get to the modular engines.
The Explorer convertor is the highest stall of the stock convertors. It isn't high stall like most think in the aftermarket world. It is still a stock convertor, just a little hotter then some of the other options. At one time I could look at them and know if it was low, mid, or high from the outside. They are all 11", it was the angle of the vanes of the impeller that make the difference. You can see the angle through the dimples on the convertor shell.

I found the Explorer convertor offered great performance for a mildly modified engine. It offered good creep force at idle. When loaded up it would ramp up torque multiplication as it slipped up to about 2000 RPM (that will vary depending on the torque of the engine). It is a smooth transition, not a harsh step. Extemely drivable, but a good performer. The higher stall is still efficient since the convertor can be locked up taking out all the slip.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all, I found a reputable rebuilder close by and plan to take it there for a work over and determine the stall. Will go with the WH or Toms shift selector as well.

Will the Lokar C4 kick down cable work on the 4r70w as well?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Thanks all, I found a reputable rebuilder close by and plan to take it there for a work over and determine the stall. Will go with the WH or Toms shift selector as well.

Will the Lokar C4 kick down cable work on the 4r70w as well?

No kick down on a 4R70W it is handled by the trans controller getting feedback from throttle position and map sensor.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No kick down on a 4R70W it is handled by the trans controller getting feedback from throttle position and map sensor.
I should have known that. No coffee yet. I saw the kick down on Tom’s website but see it’s for AOD. Thanks!