• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 and Saginaw swap tips

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I replaced the lower steering shaft with one from Wild Horses.

Even then though, the splines were freshly cut and I had to take a rat tail file to file down the splines a tad on the new steering shaft before I could get it to install.

OP
OP
J

jlylec

Just ordered my new WH shaft. They're really great. Thanks Paul and Co.!

Does anyone out there have pics of how they ran the fluid lines for their 4x4x2 boxes and Saginaw pumps? It looks like it's going to be a really tight fit so I'm just curious. Why experiment when somebody else may have the solution already!

Also...it looks like I need to install the lines on the box before mounting it up...then mount the pump and then connect the lines to it. Seems like a dumb question but I probably wasted an hour last night just trying to disassemble things in the wrong order. Now that I know how to do it it's easy. Never take experience for granted!

OP
OP
J

jlylec

remember when I asked you about your shaft a few days ago?;) I told you that would be the hardest part

Yeah you were definitely right! Turns out I have a stock lower shaft (with joint welded on) and the upper shaft is off a '79 cj. I probably could have figure something out but I'm just replacing the whole thing. New WH shaft should be there when I get home!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
after all the work your doing your btter off with a new slip shaft anyways. The one you have is probably a tad worn and it don't take much play in them to translate to a lot of play at the wheel.

OP
OP
J

jlylec

Christ. The shaft I got from WH has the wrong sized ujoint on the box side. Is it possible to disassemble these joints because I now have two that each have half that I need!

OP
OP
J

jlylec

I went ahead and connected the slightly bigger ujoint. I tightened the set screw down a bunch and figured I could at least bleed the system. Bled well and went for a test ride. What a difference! Night and day really. I had no idea just how bad the stock box was. Great upgrade!

Incidentally I have an extra, never used rebuilt 4x4x2 box if anybody's interested. I had one that I thought was the wrong thing until I bought a kit. So now I have two.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you get a call through to us today on the incorrect joint?
What was wrong with it? And did you orient the shaft with the larger section up top at the column? That's how we orient our joints when installing them, so just wanted to make sure. That would only apply if they were different spline counts top and bottom though obviously.

If it's still the wrong splines for the box, did you ever determine just exactly what box you have? I guess it's a 4x4x2 already by the looks. Sorry if we messed up on the proper joint, but we'll get another one out to you right way if we haven't already.

Paul

OP
OP
J

jlylec

I realized the joint was wrong too late yesterday to call. I got a custom shaft with no joint up top since I already had that one and it was supposed to be a 3/4"-36 joint at the bottom but the one they sent has the bigger joint. It fits perfect up top and will be great with the right joint. I wish I could've figured out how to take the two I have now apart and combine the right halves. I know you guys are good so I'm not too worried. Hopefully you'll send me the right joint (3/4" DD x 3/4"-36) overnight like I paid for the shaft. No hard feelings but you know how it is. I was certainly frustrated last night! Hopefully it's not TOO dangerous driving like I am today. The joint is staying tight so I don't think it should be a problem but I definitely need the right one ASAP! I guess I'm depending a lot on the set screw right now! I'll call Monday when you open to straighten it out. Thanks man!