• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5 speed swap?

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, it is a replacement 6 cyl 200. The suggested trans. is the AX15.

One issue you may not know about is the 200 has a different bell housing than a V8. It has a high mount starter and different bolt pattern. A Ford 250 straight 6 has the same bell housing as a V8 with the low mount starter and will accept the adapter to bolt up an AX15 or other 5 speed like a NV3550 or M5OD-R2.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
One issue you may not know about is the 200 has a different bell housing than a V8. It has a high mount starter and different bolt pattern. A Ford 250 straight 6 has the same bell housing as a V8 with the low mount starter and will accept the adapter to bolt up an AX15 or other 5 speed like a NV3550 or M5OD-R2.

The transmission side of the stock bellhousings is the same for the V8 and the I6.
The adaptor for the NV3550 or AX15 adapts the transmission to a stock Bronco bellhousing.

In the 60's and 70's most American auto makers had a common (to there corporation) transmission to bellhousing pattern. The same bellhousing will bolt to the 3-speed, a top loader, NP435, T18, etc.
The engine to bellhousing pattern varied engine to engine (series).
The AX15 adaptor is simply converting the AX15 to mimic the standard ford transmission pattern. Doesn't convert the splines on the input shaft, so the clutch disk has to match the transmission and fit the flywheel and pressure plate of the engine.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The transmission side of the stock bellhousings is the same for the V8 and the I6.
The adaptor for the NV3550 or AX15 adapts the transmission to a stock Bronco bellhousing.

I get it now - my experience was using an M5OD-R2 which has the integral bell housing & needs the small block pattern. So you would need an adapter between the bellhousing & the AX15 or NV3550 and an adapter between the transmission & the Dana 20?

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
every automotive Q is answered w/the same: "What is the application..."
Since it is a system, change 1 thing = effects the others.
Not 1 answ fits - so explain whats the end goal'n get a best answr...

I am NOT the whole bronk community U ask 4 but say: get what U
want/need for ur driving conditions U will B happy during ownership.
It seems U plan to sell. Change @ that time if U have picked weirdly
visa ve the purchasing community.

Last edited: