• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

72 "AM" LUBR Frame Off Restoration...Completed with Lots Of Pics..

OP
OP
E

ericbee

I am gonna try. I'm about 100 miles from Hartford but, I'm gonna try.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't recall seeing a Bronco where I have liked the finished Project better than this one. It is just absolutely beautiful! That paint combo is just freakin awesome. I can't put my finger on what I like so much about it.... well done. :cool:

OP
OP
E

ericbee

I used to build custom Harley's back in the 90's and one of my Bikes won best in the country at Daytona in 1993 (I think?) so, I like to think I have an eye for putting color and design together but, building this thing has been a real source of headaches for me. It still isnt complete 6 months after assembly.

I have a fuel smell in the garage and while driving but no leaks. Changed the carbon canister. Vented the canister back into the throttle body of the EFI. Had the exhaust exit point changed to behind the rear wheel and angled. Still got the smell when driving and parked and can't figure it out. This is just one of many little nagging issues. It is also why I keep looking for a "Bronco Specific" Mechanic in the Northeast who really knows their way around these EB's.

Wheels/Tires are 33x 10.5 x 15 BFG AT's with the white walls facing in, not out. Finding these tires was no easy task either.

OP
OP
E

ericbee

Wow, you guys revived this thread from the dead, I didnt expect to see my Bronco thread up here! Well, to be honest I love everything about the truck and spent a great deal of money getting it to look and perform like this. I thought for sure I would have made the calendar this year but, I barely got any votes so I am surprised to see other people being so positive.

I felt like I was in puppy love and thought my ugly girlfriend was a supermodel while everyone else knew she was ugly. Guess some people think shes cute after all!!

I will look for some more pics and link them to this thread. I am seriously considering putting her up for sale at the Mecum Auto Auction this January in Kissimmee FL. One of the main consignment guys saw me parked and begged me to enter it so, now with all of the snow and cold weather I am seriously considering it.

If I list it at the show it will be on TV and I will take many pics before I let her go. My dream Bronco from start to finish. Gonna be a Sad day for me...

OP
OP
E

ericbee

PS: Solved the gas smell problem, check another thread on venting carbon canisters. Finally got that one licked! Now that she's finally perfect with zero issues is when I decide to sell her. I'm a dumb ass.

OP
OP
E

ericbee

To answer the questions I received via PM:

The front headlight grills are from an Austin Healy company called Moss.
The Hydroboost pictures show the custom mount against the firewall (painted black)
The front disc calipers were painted red and wheels powder coated matte black
Audison makes the tweeter that is in the dash near the AC vent (pod is in kickpanel)
Gas cap is flush mounted (aero/aviation)
Tuffy Gun box under passenger seat (no guns though)
Rear view back up camera tucked up under rear bumper

L1010372.jpg

L1010373.jpg

L1010374.jpg

L1010375.jpg

L1010376.jpg

L1010377.jpg

L1010378.jpg

L1010379.jpg

L1010381.jpg

L1010382.jpg

L1010383.jpg

L1010385.jpg

L1010386.jpg

L1010387.jpg

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Awesome!!! What is the white color? Looks like a very nice off-white pearl. Love it.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Curious why you would sell your "dream bronco" right after you finish it. Did you overspend? Buyers remorse? Not a knock on you at all, just seems like a perfect bronco if there ever was one. I am always amazed that a man (me included) can get exactly what he wants and still be unhappy with it. I guess that's the human condition. The father of my best friend growing up once told me "show me the hottest woman in the world and i'll show you a guy who is tired of f---ing her". And so far I've learned he was spot on.

OP
OP
E

ericbee

I can answer your question...

When you are single for as long as I was (43 years) you buy what you want, you do what you want and you answer to no one. Then you get married..

You have a wife, a kid or two and priorities change. The car is impractical for a family. It is a convertible, it's big and loud, it guzzles gas and is nothing my wife wants to drive or even consider putting my 1 year old in. Doesnt handle like a new car, doesnt drive like a new car and it isn't as safe as a new car so, I am the only person who can drive it or drive in it.

Like all Broncos it is loud and the fumes will enter the cab while driving as that is the way they are designed with the vortex in the rear swirling back into the bed. No good for me or my wife and not gonna happen with a newborn. Especially with no top, it is the nature of the truck.

It's expensive to operate as gas is over $4 a gallon here. Mechanics are hard to come by and $100 per hour for labor. New cars require little to no labor and old trucks require a lot. Not to mention the aggravation of having something fail and the time spent diagnosing BS... I just don't have the time.

I got way too into the build and by way I mean 3 times or more over what I wanted to spend. It is a never ending project that you constantly have to maintain, to improve, to repair and to replace. Even though my entire truck is made of new parts, something always comes up, even when you think you are completely finished.

I am never going to get back what I put into the truck and there is a limit as to how much I am willing to lose. If I dont get 50% or better of what I put into it then I just will keep it. I don't need the money but, I dont need the money tied up is a car I wont drive either. I will probably end up never selling it or some guy in the Hamptons will just walk up, tap me on the shoulder and ask "how much you want for it" and that's how it will go..

Priorities is the short answer to the long answer :)

BroncoBernie

Bronco

Wow very nice Bronco, excellent.... nice color and photos are great! I think you will do very well with a sale, someone will be getting a very nice Bronco.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
It is a shame that you have fallen out of love with your beautiful creation.......

I truly hope you get the price you want so you feel good about the outcome and somebody gets to enjoy that marvel !

good luck to you (and keep us posted)

OP
OP
E

ericbee

Rox, it seems as if I will be unable to get anywhere near what I want or even half of what I have into the truck so, perhaps it will be with me for many years to come..

The perfect restoration of the Stroppe at the last auction only fetched 30k and the reserve was 45k. This forum, as great as it is, isn't the place where the big buck Broncos get bought and sold and eBay is always a crap shoot as it's tough to get top dollar for a vehicle you cannot see or touch in person.

I haven't seriously gone through the motions of listing it for sale on ebay or locally and the Mecum Auctions which I felt was the best option now seems like a waste of time and money.

In the meantime I am enjoying the 50 degree weather with no top, the heater on and the music blasting so I cant complain :)

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Hi Eric - one quick question. What is the bracket on top of your windshield frame? Is that part of a soft top or bikini top? It gives off a nice finished look with the HT off. I like it.

Thanks!