• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

73 Bronco with T-Handle.

malibubronco

My 73 Bronco has a T-Handle Transfer case shifter. It's an early 73. The shifter is shorter than T-Shifters I have seen on other Broncos. Not sure if previous owner shortened it or??

I have owned it since 2010. Thanks for your help!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How early of a 73?
Could’ve been changed by a previous owner. Could’ve been modified by a previous owner. Or it could be one of the few discrepancies from Ford we’ve seen.
Is it an automatic transmission or manual? I’m guessing manual?
And the sixth digit in the VIN is a Q, or a P? Should be a Q I believe.

OP
OP
M

malibubronco

How early of a 73?
Could’ve been changed by a previous owner. Could’ve been modified by a previous owner. Or it could be one of the few discrepancies from Ford we’ve seen.
Is it an automatic transmission or manual? I’m guessing manual?
And the sixth digit in the VIN is a Q, or a P? Should be a Q I believe.
Hi, Thanks for your help...yes the sixth digit is a Q. It is a factory AT. It was built in Oct. 72

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That was the same month they were building some of the last 72 models. They started 73 models at the usual time during August, but then skipped back to 72’s before continuing the 73’s.
By all means head over to Viperwolf1’s thread on “mind your P’s and Q’s“ thread.
Sorry, I don’t have a link at the moment, but someone will. It also comes up fairly quickly in searches.

You can add your information to the database as well.
Such as, did it have a fuel return line at the carburetor, or did it have the ambient switch in the door panel, or did it have light bars on the dash, and 73 smog related stuff under the hood. The answer is most likely, yes to most of those, but you also have the T-handle.
Interesting to look at the data plate on the transfer case to see if it’s was built the same month, or so. Rather than sometime earlier.
A much earlier build date/serial number on the transfer case would mean most likely that someone has swapped it in.

OP
OP
M

malibubronco

That was the same month they were building some of the last 72 models. They started 73 models at the usual time during August, but then skipped back to 72’s before continuing the 73’s.
By all means head over to Viperwolf1’s thread on “mind your P’s and Q’s“ thread.
Sorry, I don’t have a link at the moment, but someone will. It also comes up fairly quickly in searches.

You can add your information to the database as well.
Such as, did it have a fuel return line at the carburetor, or did it have the ambient switch in the door panel, or did it have light bars on the dash, and 73 smog related stuff under the hood. The answer is most likely, yes to most of those, but you also have the T-handle.
Interesting to look at the data plate on the transfer case to see if it’s was built the same month, or so. Rather than sometime earlier.
A much earlier build date/serial number on the transfer case would mean most likely that someone has swapped it in.
Thanks for the great info. I will check the TC and check out "mind you P's and Q's.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Excellent. Member Viperwolf1 also has a thread going on somewhere, that's tracking the production dates of the Dana 20's installed on Broncos.
Maybe yours will fit right in and you'll be able to tell if it's appropriate for your Bronco, or was made too much earlier to be original.

Maybe someone has a link. I don't know if we can still track threads started by members by clicking on their usernames anymore or not. Might give that a try.
I'm running off, or I'd do it right now myself.

Paul