• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

75 father son project

Adam11100

Hi Everyone, this is my first post and I hope you don't mind entertaining a newbie. My dad and I have a 75 that we're finally in a position to bring back to life. This was my vehicle in high school that I purchased from the original owner with 66k miles garage kept. I unfortunately treated it like a teenager, driving it carelessly. The timing chain broke, we started in on repairing it but it was right as I was graduating and heading off to college. My da offered to buy it from me so I could purchase something more reliable.

Fortunately my dad was able to keep it garaged, and for the last 22+ years we've talked about starting the restoration until last weekend when we finally pulled the engine and transmission. Our plan is to have these refurbished and reinstall. 302 & C4

Now that we've started we have a bunch of questions that I'd welcome some input on.

There is very little rust, we are thinking it would be best to pull the body and clean and coat the frame and underbody.

We were told that in order to get a new high quality paint job that we need to media blast all the old paint off, it the correct?

I have also attached a picture of a Bronco build that closely matches what we wanted to do. If anyone knows this owner, I'd love to ask him some questions.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Adam

Attachments

• 75 brnco.jpg
    75 brnco.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 75 side.jpg
    75 side.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 202
  • 75bnc.jpg
    75bnc.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Our75.jpg
    Our75.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 73299AA5-7227-4326-8F00-6CA04681F58C.jpeg
    73299AA5-7227-4326-8F00-6CA04681F58C.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome! And you are at the best place online for the answers to your questions. Looks like an awesome starting place and the idea you have for a finished project looks very good too. Someone else may chime in on who owns that particular Bronco, I don't know. Again this looks like a great father/son project, good luck!

Norm

4WHLFUN

Contributor
Please don’t paint your Bronco. It’s only original once. The paint and body look great. Buff it out and enjoy it. Patina/original paint is highly desirable now. What color is it by the way? Do you have a Marti?

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Please don’t paint your Bronco. It’s only original once. The paint and body look great. Buff it out and enjoy it. Patina/original paint is highly desirable now. What color is it by the way? Do you have a Marti?

I agree that bronco looks nice as is if you paint it you will regret it later.

theshadow

This, this a hundred times this.

Think VERY carefully before doing any modification beyond stock and make super sure that's what you really want.

Speaking from a position of someone who learned the hard way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Very nice Bronco - looks to be a genuine "survivor". It does not look like you abused it too badly as a teenager! Personally I would would also follow the advice already given, but, no doubt, many folks will tell you it's yours and do what you like with it. Good luck with the build and it's great you are doing this with your father. A great bonding experience.

Keep posting pics of your progress and continue to ask questions.

theshadow

To follow up, if it were me:

- I would rebuild the drivetrain like you planned
- go through the safety basics (brakes, steering, etc)
- call it a day and drive it for a while and see what makes sense after a year or two.

Also with this plan, you can do some summer cruising :)

You are truly lucky to have one in such incredible condition.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
If that is original paint it would be foolish and a waste of money to paint it. Paint that nice is rare and only getting rarer.

Do all of the mechanicals and drive the heck out of it. Find another one to completely redo if that is your goal.

Don't ,mean to sound harsh just want you to realize what you have.

Last edited:

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Welcome. Great story. Amazing your dad hung on to it for so long, sounds like this is just exactly what he was hoping for some day.

I do like the color of the one you posted. Like others I'm for keeping it original. One of the only times when I've said it will buff out that it really will. Probably didn't expect so many suggesting that.

I'll go a little further and encourage you to clean up the frame and underside leaving it protected. Your motor, transmission plan is a good one. Don't forget rear axle bearings and seals along with the front end. Make sure your wiring and fuel lines are in good order. That means having fuel lines that are E85 compatible. Front disc and some version of power brakes. If you want to give it a lift and some taller tires, go for it. Please don't cut the fenders.

Make it road worthy and go make memories with your dad and kids if you have any. As mentioned a few years of driving will help find any basic repairs and upgrades that may need to be done.

Have fun with whatever you decide.

Edit: I noticed someone already updated to power brakes.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome Adam!! That's a nice looking project!

Get that quality time while you can

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wish I still had my car from high school and it still looked as good as your bronco. Unfortunately, it didn't survive my teenage driving. Glad your able to share this adventure with your father!

Last edited:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Buff it out and see how it looks.. Keeping the original paint will add value and there will be no doubt that nothing was hidden under it... Five years from now, that new paint will just be paint and you will be showing people pictures of how it used to look....

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Adam11100

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I defiantly will not be cutting the fenders. Honestly hadn't thought about keeping the paint as is. I get to drooling over all the builds I see and my imagination gets the better of me. It makes a lot of sense as I think about it too. I could redirect the painting funds into more drive train upgrades.

Our plan was refurb original engine and transmission and reinstall.

Install disk brakes, replace brake lines, all seals, fuel lines, wiring, power steering, new suspension, floor mats and possibly add AC.

Not sure about the differentials and axels yet, they'll be inspected shortly.

We were hoping to get 33" tires under it and I have been told that a 1" body lift and 1.5"-2" suspension lift is what most do.

theshadow

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I defiantly will not be cutting the fenders. Honestly hadn't thought about keeping the paint as is. I get to drooling over all the builds I see and my imagination gets the better of me. It makes a lot of sense as I think about it too. I could redirect the painting funds into more drive train upgrades.

Our plan was refurb original engine and transmission and reinstall.

Install disk brakes, replace brake lines, all seals, fuel lines, wiring, power steering, new suspension, floor mats and possibly add AC.

Not sure about the differentials and axels yet, they'll be inspected shortly.

We were hoping to get 33" tires under it and I have been told that a 1" body lift and 1.5"-2" suspension lift is what most do.
-
93ee2946383afdfb6821c28d775ddd87.jpg

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Just noticed Chico. California? I'm a graduate of CSUC. Great town!

Sounds like a good plan. Everything you list are bolt on upgrades that could be reverted to stock at some point. That will help maintain value.

papy

Contributor
a diamond in the ruff! what a nice truck... i vote to keep it as is however it is your truck. Think twice before you make a decision :)

thanks for sharing

OP
OP
A

Adam11100

Just noticed Chico. California? I'm a graduate of CSUC. Great town!

Sounds like a good plan. Everything you list are bolt on upgrades that could be reverted to stock at some point. That will help maintain value.

Yep, California.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Wow, so awesome your dad kept it all these years and indoors at that! The paint on that thing looks incredible if it is orginal. Even if it isn't it looks nice enough and could only bring back great memories right? I think getting the drivetrain and brakes done like you say and driving it would be the best route. Brand new paintjobs can be a spiral effect into replacing every nut and bolt or any other part that has wear on it because it is all so much more noticable with fresh paintjob next to it. Could turn into a much more major project and far more expensive than it needs to be when starting with something as nice and clean as yours.