• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 302 distributor upgrade help.

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
I want to make sure I order the best bang for your buck all in one distributor/coil/module for my 76 302. It's a daily driver and has a one-inch body lift with original hood. I want to make sure I clear the hood and don't have issues. I was looking at the HEI distributor but some sites say there are hood clearance issues. The Pro Form from Summit looks decent.

What is the consensus on the easiest/best bang for your buck option on distributors? I was looking at the Summit Pro FOrm option for $

Thank you soooooo much in advance,

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've been running the dui he's on both broncos with 351w's for years with no problems. On the 66 I had to notch the hood brace a little for clearance. Now it has a fiberglass hood and a1" body lifts with no issues. With the 1" body lift it would probably clear the stock hood. Some guys have had issues with the cheaper ones like pro comp. I ve been running the summit brand hei on my 72 suburban dd about 2 years with no problems.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I would ask what you have in there now.
The Ford Duraspark is a very good ignition system.
Some replacement stuff is not as good.
Are you having ignition system problems?
Good luck

OP
OP
T

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
I'm rewiring my entire bronco with a Rebel Wire harness. I'd love to simplify the wiring and would like to deal with just an all in one distributor. There is something to be said for simplifying everything. However, if I upgrade, do I have to swap the gear on the bottom of the distributor?

Thank you in advance,

Hotrodjohn

the Pertronix Flamethrower is a good one that will have no hood clearance issue. Pertronix D134600

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You can put whatever distributor you want on it, but the proper timing curve is the key to performance. Even the best distributors won't fix that.
It's amazing how many will spend so much time and money on the engine, but fall short by taking a distributor out of the box, hoping it will work right.
I'm sure there are other places, but I've used this place In Tacoma WA. Parkland Performance Auto Machine 2.
They'll take a rebuilt Duraspark distributor, and calibrate the mechanical and vacuum advance for your particular engine, cam, car, and use.
You'll receive the distributor with an initial timing recommendation.
Pretty much plug-n-play.

Sporto

I had a ProComp HEI in mine for short time. No body lift, and no hood clearance issues, pretty much plug and play. It failed and left me stranded after only 10 miles. I think the prevailing message from others on here (including myself) is that if you're running a basic street setup then the OEM Duraspark distributor and module are the way to go. Parts are cheap and plentiful and dependable, especially if you get genuine Motorcraft modules and pickup. There will also be no confusion of distributor gear compatibility.

Wiring them in can be clean if you do it right, the distributor/module will be period correct and you won't have that giant HEI head on your distributor staring you in the face when you open your hood.

Just my .02

Good luck!

Rich

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I had a ProComp HEI in mine for short time. No body lift, and no hood clearance issues, pretty much plug and play. It failed and left me stranded after only 10 miles. I think the prevailing message from others on here (including myself) is that if you're running a basic street setup then the OEM Duraspark distributor and module are the way to go.

Rich

Like I said the pro comps are a cheap knock off of anything they make. If you buy a decent hei you'll have no problems. I also went hei to clean up the wiring. Nowadays I guess there's more dependable parts available for the Duraspark but in the past when guys were running em they were prone to module failures. With the mods or components guys mentioned they're more dependable now. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Why do owners think that a hotter spark is a substitute for a correct ignition curve?
You're leaving a lot of performance on the table guys!