• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

78 F150 knuckle repair for tapered tie rod end hole?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I just rebuilt a HP dana 44 out of a 78 F150 to trade out for the one in my Dad's truck that was needing some repairs. I am getting the D44 out of his truck to use for my disk brake conversion. I was installing the tie rod on his truck and the taper on the drivers side knuckle is a little worn out. It is on the side with the short rod end so I was hoping there is a way to fix this issue.
Is there a repair for this problem? Re ream and different rod end or maybe ream and use a tapered adapter?
As always, Thanks in advance!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Check with bc broncos. The adapter for the f-150 tro set up might be your fix. If so it will require a little reaming to fit

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks guys! I will be checking all these suggestions out. I appreciate the help! Again and always!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
That is a handy piece of information, I appreciate it.
On this one I had to put 2 washers on the top of the knuckle to get the taper to tighten up. There is still a gap on the bottom side for the rubber, maybe 3/16" to 1/4". Not sure if I need to worry about it now or run it like it is. I didn't worry about stuff like this when I was younger, I have a little different outlook on stuff now.
Any advice is always welcome! Thanks everyone!