• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

79 to 74 disc conversion questions? Twin stick install

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I am converting the 74's drums to disc using a donor 79 caliper brackets and gut. I already bought some 79 drilled and slotted rotors, new Stainless Steel extended brake lines, new disc/drum proportioning valve, big Bird calipers and banjo bolts and correct pads. So here's the ? have to use the spindles off the 79 right to match the bolt pattern on the caliper brackets? I assume the same for the hub not the locking hubs, but the the actual hub? Or are the hubs interchangeable cause the drum hubs are in better shape? Can and has anyone ever chrome or Nickle plated a set of again Hubs, or is the tolerances on the splines and and bearings surfaces too close to risk it. Even with prep and clear coating on new hubs they always discolor and turn brownish. Trying to get them to stay new looking if not actually shiny. Do we have in the archives the old 78-79 Bronco to early 44 conversion instructions, if so a link would be helpful. same for anyone has installed the J-shift twin stick conversion, can it be do with out a huge tunnel cutout ? I have a 3" b-lift that I want to remove but I want the twin stick done prior...thanks......Mo in Clovis, CA

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
conversion ?'s

Dankache( that how you spell it)? Now what about the twin stick install?

Tuck

I'd wait on the twin stick until after the BL is gone to see where you stand. I put twin sticks on mine with no BL & didn't have to cut anything.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Wonder if it can be installed without a BL? You have to cut the flags, hows that gonna happen without a big hole in the tunnel or a BL?

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I get that just want to know how people are cutting the flags as mine has a J-shifter, while making the smallest hole in the tunnel possible...Thanks....Mo

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I get that just want to know how people are cutting the flags as mine has a J-shifter, while making the smallest hole in the tunnel possible...Thanks....Mo

i did mine without having to cut out much at all it had a 2" body lift. if you have the 3" on there should be plenty of room, i used a small cutoff wheel on a dremel to cut the flanges

Tuck

I did a TC rebuild, so most of the basic work was done out of the truck. You can just slide the twin stick bolt in & tighten it with no BL, but you won't do it fast by yourself.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
preference on the J shifter Twin sticks, one brand better than the other?

Am assuming that with the Dremel you are using the diamond metal cut off wheels, cause the aluminum oxides explode if they are even a hair of a fraction in a bind? What about brands, which is best. I want the Stainless Steel one but I think a couple of vendors are doing them am I right? Thanks...Mo

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yes most vendors all sell the ss ones JBfab is about the best all around. the blade we used to cut the flag was about a 1/8" thick not the real skinny ones. with that thickness of a blade you will have a gap for the flags to move freely