• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Che#y Disc Brake Conversion Questions

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Last weekend was 1/3 off at Pick n Pull, and I scored some cool stuff. But here's the deal; I got my disc brake back plates and spindles off of a 79 K20 pick up which means I need to put 'em on a lathe and turn 'em down a bit to fit the Ford hubs. Fortunately for me, I have friends in low places with lathes.

Does any one have the dimensions for this?

I have hubs that came with the rig, but I'm not sure what they are off of. I can't find a part number on the hub, but the inboard bearing is a Timken LM603049 and the outboard is a Bower LM501349.

Thanks for the help!

fordtrucksrule

the chevy spindles should be the same as the ford spindles as they use the same hubs the only thing that is different as far as i know are the drum and disk brake

1973steve

Loc.
Croydon, Pa.
I have the same problem.
There are two spindles large and small bearing. If you want to make the larger one into smaller size, you need to buy the smaller bearings and turn the spindles down until the smaller bearing fit.
The machine shop about here wants $350 to do both spindles.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Take the machine shop your EB drum spindles and tell them you want the bearing surface diameter to match once the larger ones are turned down.

I have the same problem as 1973steve: I have a pair of large bearing spindles, but the machine shop wants more than I paid for them to turn them down.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Wow! It's good to have friends! I guess I should have thought of taking them down to the size of the originals. Thanks for the input guys!:cool:

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I found a cheaper way to turn them down but it requires someone who is will to help out. I took mine to a crankshft grinder. It is apparently easier for them to chuck it up and grind it down and give you a good finish and radius than it is to do t on a lathe. I just took in the old spindle and had him grind the new one to match.

$20 apiece is what I paid 5 years ago. Unfortunately I cant recommend him as he dies about 2 years ago and his son promptly ran the bussiness into the ground. Somehow daddy managed to operate for 50 years and support his family and son kills it in two years. :)

Anyway I have used crankshaft grinders for several other things where htey would be machining shafts, spindles etc.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I've got a friend who can knock it out for me, so that's not an issue. Just gotta get things apart so I can match it to the old. Thanks!