• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

80:1 crawl with manual transmission…Thoughts?

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
I found a little finger actuated throttle lever on the gear shifter helped on the rocks, kinda of a third foot???:oops::rolleyes::oops:

Attachments

• IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 29

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
They are handy for OBA or bumping your idle up to 850 or so. I always try to tune for 650 rpm at idle. Less speed sliding down the rock. :)

My crawl ratio with my 6r is 64:1 w/o factoring in the converter. Plenty low with an auto w/o question I have learned.

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Brian,
Hey no apologies, all good reading and so much good info from everyone.

( Moab ) I actually was headed on a trip to Moab a number of years back to a UCORA get together and got to the west end of NE and when I stopped to get fuel found we losing coolant back around the HVAC area. Managed to swap a hose to bypass the heater and we were good. Because of the delay we diverted to my brothers a ways further west in the panhandle. Stopping at their house I went to back up and the 7.3 (F250) just revved up and wouldn’t move. Got out and found the tranny had dumped the fluid from a blown front seal. Ended up spending the time there getting the tranny fixed. :(

Would like to get to Sand Hollow as well and experience dunes!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I found a little finger actuated throttle lever on the gear shifter helped on the rocks, kinda of a third foot???:oops::rolleyes::oops:
Yes, that would be a great aide on a manual. Kind of like having a trailer brake lever on a big rig. If stopped on a slope you pull a bit of brake and free up the right foot for the throttle.

That is one long shifter handle though! Did you ride a chopper in an earlier life. :)

“Fun ain’t cheap” Boy o Boy ain’t that the truth these days!!!

P.S. Did you set it up for full throttle or limit it to a smaller rpm for less sensitivity to movement?

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

As our passed away buddy Kerri Young would say For damn sure (and he even made the stickers)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Fun aint cheeep,, that's for sure...

Attachments

• 20220926_111955.jpg
    20220926_111955.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220926_111226.jpg
    20220926_111226.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 35

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Brian,
Hey no apologies, all good reading and so much good info from everyone.

( Moab ) I actually was headed on a trip to Moab a number of years back to a UCORA get together and got to the west end of NE and when I stopped to get fuel found we losing coolant back around the HVAC area. Managed to swap a hose to bypass the heater and we were good. Because of the delay we diverted to my brothers a ways further west in the panhandle. Stopping at their house I went to back up and the 7.3 (F250) just revved up and wouldn’t move. Got out and found the tranny had dumped the fluid from a blown front seal. Ended up spending the time there getting the tranny fixed. :(

Would like to get to Sand Hollow as well and experience dunes!
FYI you can experience dunes in Moab, I know where they are hiding 😉😎

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yes, that would be a great aide on a manual. Kind of like having a trailer brake lever on a big rig. If stopped on a slope you pull a bit of brake and free up the right foot for the throttle.

That is one long shifter handle though! Did you ride a chopper in an earlier life. :)

P.S. Did you set it up for full throttle or limit it to a smaller rpm for less sensitivity to movement?
Setup my bike shifter throttle cable so it would bump me up to 1500rpm or so... all I needed was 850 rpm or so and then 1500 for my York for filling tires.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Been to the small one... it's just a little ways past "Rosie's arch" if it'sthe same one... I'll follow ya there in 7 months! :)

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I got them on a spot on the map :cool: There is a small area, and a large area. Just need to be there when I am and I'll show you for free😋 Or share GPS info. Safari is only 7 months away.......
7 months…hmmmm…lot of building to do. I probably do know of the one if it’s out towards the geyser…stumbled across it while satellite surfing one time. Kinda forgot about it but I’ll keep it a secret. :)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
One out by the geyser and another in the behind the rocks area not far from Prostitute Rock, I’ve heard of more but the only ones I’ve personally driven on.

There’s also Little Sahara and Beaver Dunes in Oklahoma😉

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
One out by the geyser and another in the behind the rocks area not far from Prostitute Rock, I’ve heard of more but the only ones I’ve personally driven on.

There’s also Little Sahara and Beaver Dunes in Oklahoma😉
Often wondered about Little Sahara. It's straight south of me and would be a short trip if Kansas wasn't in the way. :LOL:

Last edited: