• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

88 Ford truck w/351 EFI-Will it work?

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Got a chance to buy a wrecked 1988 Ford pickup with a 351 EFI motor. I this going to be a Windsor block or something else? Will buy everything, harnesses, computer etc. I believe from what I have read here that the intake will be very tall but can be swapped to lower Mustang style. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Walt

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Yes it will work just need the 351 car or lightning intake. It would be best to get a MAF computer and mod the truck harness or buy a MAF harness.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
It will be the 351W. We put one from an 88 in a 78 Bronco and then later took it out and put it in a 70. Initially we used the truck harness and ECM which did fine and then when we swapped it into the 70 we put the Mustang MAF system in. The MAF system does run a little nicer but for a bone stock motor the truck stuff isn't bad. When I did mine I started off with the Mustang system because that is what I already had and the 96 motor didn't include the harness and ecm. We both still run the truck intakes but they will not fit under any of the hoods available even with a body lift. The closest is the Pro Flo hood which may fit the 5.0 with the truck intake but not the 5.8. Swapping to a car style EFI intake should make it fit under the hood with a body lift.

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Thanks for the info. How difficult is it to locate an MAF computer? I have seen the intakes on Ebay so I assume that won't be too difficult to obtain. I have a two inch bodylift so it seems like this may work for me. Saddleup, what are you running for a hood if you are still using the truck intake? Guess I will need to check out your gallery.

Thanks, Walt

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
XT700 said:
Thanks for the info. How difficult is it to locate an MAF computer? I have seen the intakes on Ebay so I assume that won't be too difficult to obtain. I have a two inch bodylift so it seems like this may work for me. Saddleup, what are you running for a hood if you are still using the truck intake? Guess I will need to check out your gallery.

Thanks, Walt
It's pretty obvious once you look in the gallery. (Or follow the SaddleUp buildup link below) I took a 90 Crown Vic hood and cut the middle out of it. I folded the sides and front over so it fit in the original hood body lines and is about 4" above the stock hood in front. (Tapers back to 1 1/2" or so at the back) Under the hood I ran 2 bars from front to back to brace it that go above the stock bracing that runs across the hood. To make it look better I fiberglassed in the corners of the scoop. As it is the hood is pretty heavy though. One of these days I'll get a good set of hood shocks to put on it so I don't have to lift it up. (If I'm sitting in a postion that puts the hood high then it's hard to reach far enough to get the hood rod in place)

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
XT700 said:

Thanks, Walt

When I was collecting parts for my 351W swap, I found a bunch of stuff (intake, injectors, MAF, TB, etc) at www.corral.net Go to the classifieds and there are sections for windsor motors and electronics. Mustang guys are constantly upgrading their stuff, so you can get some fairly good deals on slightly used stuff.

braxton357

Loc.
morganton NC
XT700 said:

Thanks, Walt

Make sure you're getting the right stuff though. Neither a stock 5.0 upper or lower will fit this engine.

As has been said...SD will work pretty well stock, but when you start changing intakes and such, MAF is king. (unless you're talking forced induction...)

Good luck...it's not really that hard if you have the whole truck to work with.