• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A very bad thing happened...

OP
OP
TX-ZACH

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
UPDATE:

Finally found a motor in stock. Decided to go with a 347 Stroker, Roller Cam, New Shorty Headers. Stay tuned. Hope to be on the road in about 3 weeks.

OP
OP
TX-ZACH

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
Check this out. Cracked the piston and then you can see the threaded stud imprints bouncing around on top. Guys found the stud and looked like a flat railroad spike. My luck....

Attachments

• IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2319.JPG
    IMG_2319.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 141

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
.060 over.
Are there any damages to the affected cylinder wall and chamber in the head? Valves?

OP
OP
TX-ZACH

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
I not sure how much damage. It was going to cost me hundreds more in labor to tear the rest down and send off to test. My installer wants to scrap it.

OP
OP
TX-ZACH

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
Motor Update:

Ended up with an ATK 351w lower roller cam block and added heads and upper. Motor is running now and fine tuning. Its getting close! Now I am dealing with clearance issues and got the WH Proflow high cowl hood to handle the intake and air-breather. Now my installer is reporting the master cylinder is hitting the new hood and wants to engineer some sort of bracket solution. WH suggested adding washers on the top 2 bolts on the bracket to tilt down.

You can see the original problem with how the carb/intake even had clearance issues on the 302. The spot on the stock hit shows where it was hitting.

Never thought I would be almost $18k into a 351w build but here I am.

Attachments

• Hood Hit.jpg
    Hood Hit.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 351w.jpg
    351w.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 41
  • WH Hood.jpg
    WH Hood.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 33

NCSUWoj

Contributor
Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
Thats always how it goes! :)
I have had to do the washer trick as well to tilt the bracket down slightly also. If you are running a carb on it and not fuel injection, they make various drop base air cleaners to help with hood clearance. I used a 2" x 14" dia air cleaner assembly from CJ Pony Parts that fit perfect under the hood of our last build. We were running a 351W with the Holley Sniper set up and a 1" body lift from WH.

OP
OP
TX-ZACH

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
I cant wait to test drive it,

265656345_1619340051735272_6623178145254123246_n.jpg