• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alaska off Road Warriors ; on History Channel

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The History Channel is advertising a new show that features 4x4 teams competing in an expedition type cross country run. I didn't see any EBs, but I like the idea of an event that embodies what off roading is really all about.

ILikeBond

Yup, looks cool. Only previews so far... maybe they're waiting for the show to reveal the ultimate wheeling machine.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Hope they don't have'ta use that word beeper to much!

ransil

Bronco Guru
I can hear it now, over hyped TV drama , bet first tire goes flat or comes off a bead it will sound like the end of the world.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I live just North of Anchorage about 70 miles and can tell you 3 things for sure.

1) Alaska reality shows seem to be popular right now, it seems like they're always making more of them. But the *real* reality is that its cold and dark here for a good part of the year, you guys aren't missing anything.

2) Because we are such a small market and a small population the few off-road enthusiaist we do have truly envy real place's to go 4 wheelin like you guys have in the states, there simply isn't many choices anywhere here. We have very little road system for such a HUGE state, you guys have many, MANY more options than we have here...plus the ability to drive somewhere, we can't drive anywhere.

3) The very limited choices we do have are MUD, or MUD,... or MUD....oh yeah and SNOW -which is bette suited for a snowmachine.

I'm just drooling for the opportunity and chance to bringing one of rigs down to dessert Southwest region of the states.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I live just North of Anchorage about 70 miles and can tell you 3 things for sure.

1) Alaska reality shows seem to be popular right now, it seems like they're always making more of them. But the *real* reality is that its cold and dark here for a good part of the year, you guys aren't missing anything.

2) Because we are such a small market and a small population the few off-road enthusiaist we do have truly envy real place's to go 4 wheelin like you guys have in the states, there simply isn't many choices anywhere here. We have very little road system for such a HUGE state, you guys have many, MANY more options than we have here...plus the ability to drive somewhere, we can't drive anywhere.

3) The very limited choices we do have are MUD, or MUD,... or MUD....oh yeah and SNOW -which is bette suited for a snowmachine.

I'm just drooling for the opportunity and chance to bringing one of rigs down to dessert Southwest region of the states.

A realist...I appreciate that fact.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have watch a lot of them shows and always think , yea alaska is nice, then I think about the winter and figure its twice as long and cold as it is where I'm currently at.
I'm getting too old for this shit..

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the reality check Whooa! The door is always open here in the southwest when you are ready!

But when the weather is fair in Alaska you just can't beat the backdrop you guys have! Incredible mountains and sky!

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I can hear it now, over hyped TV drama , bet first tire goes flat or comes off a bead it will sound like the end of the world.

yeah, but that's how they do it. I don't mind the hype over little things, it's still interesting and entertaining for me.
Heck I'm easy, I'm anxious to see the guy get swallowed by an Anaconda while wearing what looks like a deep see diving outfit. lol

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Watched this show last night and unfortunately it was as I expected. A bunch of made up drama and people bitching and complaining. Also people flying around off road with no seat belts on. Seems like some of the stupidity should have been eliminated to make the show better. Oh well, I will probably watch it again just because there isn't much out there for off roading. I do like the scenery of Alaska though. I hope to visit there some day and see it for myself.

Hank

Bronco1970man

Loc.
Arizona
I watched it last night, and, hmm...seemed way overly dramatic and the rigs on the show weren't all that. Pretty weak if you ask me. There are a ton of rigs I see regularly on this forum that would drive circles around those POSs on that show. Drama.%)

But, I'll probably watch it again, as like said before, not much on the boob tube related to offroading.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
They were a bunch of butt-monkeys except the SuperJeep guy. That Jeep used to run 47 LTBs and I have seen several pics on Pirate 4x4 where he is a true wheeler. I think they made him run smaller tires for the show.

A couple of the trucks run open diffs and even IFS... Gotta love the Mullets though!!

I didnt like how they were portraying the sport and have to agree somewhat with the Rover guy (nice rig) that running down trees was unnecessary. The narrator kept saying they were blazing trails when in actuality they were running on established mining trails.

They went the wrong route with this. They should have had a real offroader design the 'race'. Timed events are OK, but the rules of off roading should be adhered to- including helping out stranded fellow wheelers- could have given extra time for this stuff!

I will continue to watch, but it will be a short lived program.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Watched it last night. Pretty good. The guy driving the Rover is a jerk. Mr Alaska came in 4th place and lost to some lower 48 guys. Started bitching about the others not treading lightly. Frankly they had no choice but to drive over downed trees.