• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alice mod and LEDs

kjmssd

Loc.
Salt Lake City
Dakota Digital is making some tail lights using an entire circuit board.

They look nice but are expensive!

Anybody know if they are worth it?

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Dakota Digital is making some tail lights using an entire circuit board.

They look nice but are expensive!

Anybody know if they are worth it?

Not sure, does/will/is the circuit board going to help give resistance so the entire flashing system will work? That is what I'm assuming it is for, so that you don't have to put resist on the flashing line at another place. That would be the only way it would be "worth" it. But honestly, one of our vendors here sells the proper resisters ( I have them on my truck) and they were pretty reasonable and went on pretty easily, then just LED bulbs everywhere.

6daze

I have a set from Tom's Bronco Parts.

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/66-77-Ford-Bronco-LED-Tail-Light-Conversion-Kit

They are awesome!

I have stock bulbs in my other turn signals and everything flashes as it should. No resistors or electronic flashers.

My fullsize spare and cooler rack partially block my taillights so I really like the extra brightness.
vybabu9y.jpg

Tram

Bronco Guru
Anyone have the part number for the flasher they switched to?

I'm looking at swapping everything to LED's minus the headlights, they'll be HID..

Looking at the bulbs with resistors wired inline, but if I can just swap the flasher, I'll do that..

Anyone?

SeanT4x4

I tried two different ones off amazon. Neither worked properly so I gave up and put resistors in. I know there are some out there that supposedly work though.

i just did the "Alice" swap as well. went with clear lens & white LED that glows amber. Worked great until i kept going and put in H4 headlights. Now when headlights are on the speedo turn indicators light up and the turn signals weaken. im thinking ground somewhere but could use some ideas. I ran inline resistors. Will post some pics later tonight. I also ran the H4 heavy duty harness to a separate block/power distributor bar.

thanks for any input- you guys are great to "stalk" and get ideas...!

Update: put in the NAPA resistor and signals work great. The problem is not headlights but running lights. When on (no headlights) it dims and messes with the system. I am going after the grounds.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
i just did the "Alice" swap as well. went with clear lens & white LED that glows amber.

Update: put in the NAPA resistor and signals work great. The problem is not headlights but running lights. When on (no headlights) it dims and messes with the system. I am going after the grounds.

Which bulbs did you go with? Do they alternate white and amber or only amber when flashing (and are they white when just parking lights?

they are amber flashing and parking.
i ordered them off an ebay vendor i have used before. just got LED side lights, dash lights, liscense plate lights. will try resistors on parking light circuit, and then might replace all and see what happens.

OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Got the mod done (posted to my build thread in signature line). Even with the incandescent bulbs the flasher appears to not like it. I bought a new flasher module and will try that. Staying with incandescents for now and will update to LEDs in the future...

Update - New flasher module fixed the blinkers. Old one appeared to still be from 1974!!! It was teal and matched the teal on the wiring harness.

Last edited:
How are they working when you turn on parking/driving lights?
Mine all dim down and the flashers do not work. I installed the electronic flasher from NAPA and the signals work fine on their own, but turn lights on and chaos.

The blinking is fine when parking/driving lights are not on- the electronic relay works great.
When lights go on it dims the LED's and stops the blinking all together.

SeanT4x4

By not blinking all together when the running lights are on, do you mean the turn indicator stays on solid or does nothing at all?

On mine with LEDs only in front signal or rear everything worked fine.

Once I put LEDs in front and rear, turn indicators stayed on solid to either side that was activated. Tried different flashers and couldn't get them to work correctly. I had to put inline resistors in.

i had inline resistors in originally then went with the electronic flasher. Same result. I wonder if it is the flasher. I will go back and try resistors again.
Thanks for the response

I think I might have figured this out - something simple- I checked my LED bulbs and they are single "filament" I am pretty sure they need to be dual intensity for running and turn signals. I ordered new bulbs, dual white and amber, and will see how that works.
Will post results next week.
Thanks again