• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Analysis of Early Bronco Vendors with Survey

When seeking an Early Bronco vendor, what I most look for is:

• Best product price

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Widest selection / brands

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Product availability / in stock

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Lowest shipping cost

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • Quality of product(s)

Votes: 60 45.1%
  • Pre-sales support

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Post-sales (technical) support

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Best return policy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Web site features (# of product reviews)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Street cred/Word-of-Mouth, or Longevity in EB community

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters

DaveLev

I am relatively new to the Early Bronco community. One thing I have been told by several Early Bronco enthusiasts to avoid certain vendors. I tend to vote with my dollars; I have supported all the vendors listed here at this site, and have not had any issues with any one of them. All are great people.

I don’t want to say who told me to avoid who, or what vendor they said this about, or why they ever shared this information with me. I find that those who speak negatively TO you usually end up speaking negatively ABOUT you.

People have their favorites…I get that. Many who have been in the community a long time who build a lot of Broncos day and night can also be vendor-agnostic. Some people prefer vendors who specialize in made in USA only, and others don’t care. Who has the best shocks, the best prices, the best support, etc...I have heard it way more in the early bronco community than in any other classic car groups I belong to (Corvette, Mustang, Belair, hot rod). On thing is for sure: there’s lots of passion here!

For me, I feel that pre-sales calls, tech support, web site search, quality of product, on-time delivery, catalog quality and more are all very important. I am willing to pay extra for a quality experience for a quality product in a heartbeat. But not everyone is like this. No one is right or wrong…we’re all in the community together, and what I believe ultimately doesn’t matter.

To this end, today I set aside 12 hours doing some comparative analysis between early bronco vendors Specifically, I looked at product pricing. I was not paid to do this, but rather was seeking to find out why people feel so passionately about this particular aspect of early bronco parts manufacturers & resellers.

Here’s my methodology:
There are 50 items that I need to buy right now for my bronco, so I put those in a spreadsheet.
Next I searched for the product on multiple different vendors’ web sites, and put in their prices and part numbers. I also made notes, such as whether or not two items were required (like arm rests) and made sure that if a vendor sold them in pairs or individually, I always compared apples-to-apples by increasing the quantities to match. With me so far? I did not go to any special vendor buys or sale prices or log into any of the accounts – just did anonymous searches.

The average price across all 50 parts was $22.94 (all in US Dollars). The highest price part was $799, the lowest was $1.95. All parts come to an average of $968.94 across all vendors, so as you can surmise, there isn’t a custom engine, fiberglass body, pimped-out family cage, or custom rims and tires. Just an average order that an average person working on a bronco might spend in an average order when restoring an early bronco.

On my list, here’s what I found out about the 50 items:
- 14 or 28% of them matched within a few pennies (11.95 vs. 11.99, for example) across all vendors. I didn’t expect that.
- 15 or 30% of them had a 20% different in price. So roughly 60% of all prices are very close to each other.
- 15 or 30% of them were 2 times the price. This was a bit surprising. Guessing quality of product or margin comes into play, but that’s how the retail game works.
- 5 or 10% of them were as 3 times the price. No big surprise to me here.
- 1 or 2% of the items were different by a lot – about 9x the price. The difference that I could tell here was probably a data entry problem on their site; the same part at three vendors listed that far apart, and even if it was made out of gold they shouldn’t have been this much. So, willing to discard that for my analysis.

None of this comparative research takes into account shipping. If you live in Seattle USA and order from Florida USA, or live in San Diego and order from Canada, shipping will obliviously be more.

Note that I could not find everything I needed at just one vendor. I could at three, though. If I was willing to pay a little extra, I could get 98% of all items at one vendor, and I would have to pay just $11 difference to do this. On a $1,000 order, that isn’t much of a savings. If it was a $10,000 order that would have my attention. On a $100 order, that would be about a $1.00 difference. Hmmm.

My analysis also doesn’t take into account where the products are sourced (USA vs. overseas) or the labor costs and other overhead of cost-of-goods-sold on the balance sheet. Frankly, that’s none of my business, and none of this is truly scientific. People often share with me who manufacturers what part that they then wholesale to vendor X/Y/Z, and frankly I don’t care. It is neat to know who is out there making stuff, but that should remain a trade secret.

I also had fun comparing who had what parts. The vendor you choose often depends on what you are looking for. For example, if you take a front coil spring from an early bronco, you can find that at all vendors. But if you are looking for, say, an uncommon replacement part, such as an OEM window handle knob for a 68, you won’t find it at all vendors. This is not to say that one vendor is worse than another at all. Rather, if someone is seeking a restoration quality part, they might not go to vendors who specialize in aftermarket accessories such as soft tops and 19” rims. If they are looking for used parts, they might not go to a vendor who manufactures 4-link conversion kits for rear ends.

Finally, just because a vendor has the best selection, that doesn’t mean they have the best prices.

I’d like to share the following:
- One vendor had 88% of what I needed. The next closest vendor had exactly 10% less items that I needed, but that is still pretty darn close as far as available inventory goes.
- One vendor’s prices were the lowest 61% of the time. This doesn’t take into account that 28% of the items I searched for across all vendors have almost identical prices. This is to say that if almost 1/3 of prices are within a few pennies, of the remaining 2/3 items, one vendor was the lowest about 3/4 of the time. However, given the difference I saved by shopping around was only $11, does it really matter?
- One vendor’s prices were consistently the highest. However, the quality of what I’ve seen in customer care, quality of parts, and quality of packaging in my opinion makes up for this big-time.
- The vendor who had 78% of the products I was looking for was the lowest price for 33% of the time. While that sounds bad compared to 31%, remember that 1/3 of all prices were within a few pennies across all vendors. Therefore, being higher priced than the competition for only items that weren’t the same price really equates down to something like 30% of the time. Maybe a vendor has less items in stock because they are of such quality they are flying off the shelves? Who knows.
- 70% of the vendors I looked at had a customer reviews feature. I like this feature. Are the reviews fake? Who knows, but I like to read them anyway. I like Amazon’s ‘verified buyer’ feature. If you don’t have a review on your site, might I suggest adding some incentive to buyers to ‘be the first to review’ or something? Just a thought.

The bottom line is use whomever you want…I certainly do. While I may now know who claims to have the most in stock and who has the lowest prices, I don’t know anything about:
- Shipping costs. I can assume that whomever is closest to me will be the cheapest to ship;
- Where parts are sourced;
- Quality of the parts I’m buying (this is where the reviews are helpful)
- Tech support
- Ease of returns
- Phone sales
- Web site features (shopping carts, wish lists, reviews, filters, speed, etc.).

In conclusion, I did not set out to find ‘the best’ vendor and crown them king. Nor do I intend to slam on any vendor for having the least number of products or online reviews or the lowest prices. In the end, the best vendor is the one that YOU like to spend your money at!

Please take a moment to fill out the public survey here and tell me what you look for in a vendor, and please oh please keep supporting all the wonderful Early Bronco vendors...I appreciate each of you!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Longevity does not mean all that much, a great many old line companies in many fields have been bought to use their name and reputation for selling second rate goods and service.

A big part of what I look for is knowledgeable answers and a helpful attitude while I'm researching before I purchase.

From my experiences with this I am impressed with Wild Horses and James Duff.

Another vendors answers to my emails gave me the impression of someone who neither knew nor cared enough to find out.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I read 63% of this post, 90% of the time.;) When I'm looking for a part it's because I need it to complete a job. I don't mind spending a few dollars more if I get the part sooner and can move on to the next project.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
They are all great and I love them all for supporting our hobby.

But my favorites are Duff and WH.

They have reached out to me to help me when I needed help on my eb.

Monster Mike, Suzy and Mr. Duff himself have walked me through stuff over the phone.

I remember struggling with the WH lower steering shaft for my eb. I called their tech line on a Friday afternoon. The tech "tried" to help me but was not successful. I was polite but was not pleased with their "tech support". I put my mobile phone down in the garage and left it there...thought I lost it for about a day, lol. Apparently got a few call backs from WH and a couple more calls from another California area code phone. I called back the second number Saturday afternoon when I found my phone. As I stand in front of my eb in the garage I make the call. Person answers with, "Steve is that you, this is Jim Creel @ Wild Horses".
I had to laugh....it was Saturday afternoon at like 3:30 pm and the owner of Wild Horses wants to help me finish installing my steering shaft....
That's when I realized that I do not care how much shit costs....

I go to Duffs and WH.

OP
OP
D

DaveLev

I appreciate all the responses so far. However, I want to be careful that we don't single out a particular vendor by name. All I am seeking to understand is why you choose the vendor you choose..what your motivation is. So far it appears based on the comments alone that the majority of you select a vendor based on their technical expertise and knowledge of an early bronco. And it would extreme exceptional over-the-top Customer service that exceeds your expectations. Yet according to the poll results so far, most go for quality of product.

It is too early to make this correlation, but we may end up being able to say that the vendors who sell quality merchandise and to provide exceptional knowledge of the early bronco are the ones who we as enthusiasts spend our dollars with.

However I cannot say that based on the results of just eight hours of a survey that only 20 people responded to. Also, I am not doing any analysis about the quality of the merchandise a vendor sells here. I am willing to bet that if a vendor has exceptional customer service and the best price that many won't care as much about quality. Many won't mind buying the same plastic made overseas electronic part every two years if they like the vendor. They may hate that they need to replace it but the vendor will most likely be quick to offer tech advise or even recommend another vendor to get the best part.

Put differently, not a single vendor sells the best quality on all parts. They would be the first to admit this. In retail it is a balancing act between cost and quality.

That being said, I would agree with most of you so far that customer service and tech knowledge and the sharing of that wisdom is king. Your prices can be 20% more and I won't care. When a vendor takes care of me, I take care of them. Seems like the right thing to do.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've dealt with most all the Bronc-specific vendors over the years and still do. In the case of one, I've been buying from them for over 23 years. None have given me a reason to not do business with them. As for the poll...I did select one category but, frankly, it's a combination of several of those aspects that matter to me, not any single one.

OP
OP
D

DaveLev

One more thought… Even if a vendor had the highest quality and most expensive part, if their technical knowledge or customer service was terrible, that would greatly impact you're buying decision and vendor loyalty I'm sure.

So far in the survey, the highest score is going to quality of merchandise. It is tough to find high quality merchandise that is also the most affordable. Everybody wants the highest quality at the lowest price. However if they don't know much about the early bronco, you most likely won't remain loyal to them over time.

This is one of the reasons I put together the survey up top. I want to see what motivates people for choosing a particular vendor. It seems like… And it's too early to tell… But people want the entire shopping experience to be great. They want quality parts from people who know about early Broncos, Who sell the highest quality parts, and have competitive pricing. What I see so far in my analysis is that the pricing is very close with one another for most products that I shopped for. Therefore, the technical expertise, customer service, and quality of what they have to offer are the major differentiators. But I wonder if you have a high-quality product but have terrible customer service how long you can expect to remain a profitable business with return customers.

For me, I like engaging with the vendors in person at events, and in various online communities. That builds extreme credibility with me. That also gets my foot in the door to a vendor. Once I arrive at a vendor website and I see numerous positive reviews or extensive customer testimonials, at that point I will stop comparing prices between vendors. You have already sold me on reputation alone. Of course, as my original analysis shows, not a single vendor had everything I needed. Therefore, I will need to go to another vendor to buy a part or two. Based on my criteria, there are four vendors I would gladly send my business to any day. However that is personal and only important to me. For many of you who have not posted a comment, Price is a stronger motivation.

I have four simultaneous builds going on at the same time right now. Like many of you, some days I just need to get the part and get it here fast and don't care what the price is I need the shop space to keep moving forward on my projects. Summer is almost over, so weatherstripping, insulation, wiper related products, heater and defroster, brakes, lights, and of course a thermostat are all on my radar for each of my builds. I will probably be spending upwards of $6000 on parts for these various projects over the next three months. So making sure I get the technical expertise in pre-sales is far more important than price for me.

ryan97

Loc.
Richmond
I have used most of them at one point or another to get the parts I need to complete a project. Customer support means a lot, so I tend to use the shops with better after sale support.
My only complaints are:
When I order from a "bronco" shop and the part is shipped to me in a another suppliers box (i.e. Dennis Carpenter); I feel like I was taken advantage of...
Seems they could all do better at reducing shipping costs when compared to what you pay with other online sources these days (Amazon) - seems like this is an additional "profit center" for some of the shops. Some are good about bundling your order and helping to find a cheaper alternative if you call them and discuss the order.
Nothing like paying $10 S&H on a $5 part....

Dannyboy71

I wanted to click three things on the poll but could only choose one. Quality of the part is one, I hate doing things twice, and customer service two is a big deal for me. One of the vendors I buy from has great products but sucky customer service. But I still buy from them because I want the best quality I can get.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
You have a lot time on your hands....go build something:)

The biggest driver for me is the companies that support the face to face Bronco events.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
In the 38 years I have been buying Bronco parts I only had one of our suppliers that I couldn't resolve an issue with and its a rather large volume seller. Big enough beef with me that I haven't dealt with them in over 20 years. I bought allot of parts with them and I was charged for an item that wasn't in the box.

I love all of our vendors even the one I wont buy from. I remember the 10 years that Ford didn't supply parts and there were few vendor items and no internet.

People complain of poor fit and poor quality. Try no fit and no quality and no availability sometime.

My only Peeve if a vendor uses the internet to sell its wares then they should also answer their e-mails and follow through.

The internet has spoiled all of us. The free exchange of information on this site is phenomenal. The money being saved is far more than the difference in price from any of our vendors.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I've never had an issue with a product as far as quality, only the way it was packaged(folding diff gaskets in fourths doesn't work %) ) I appreciate the vendors who'll stick a decal, grommet, washer, etc into an envelope an mail it to me for the cost of a stamp, instead of a Fedex or UPS box for 30x the cost........... it's the little things sometimes. I have no vendors close by, shipping is a factor for .

OP
OP
D

DaveLev

So far, with only 40 or so responding to survey, looks like quality is in #1 spot, followed by cost to ship. That infers that most go to whatever place is closest to them.

I believe places like Rock Auto and National Parts Depot have 4 distribution locations now...I can't imagine that is cheap to run.

We need more responses, please - let me know what motivates you to select a early bronco vendor.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I believe your survey is flawed... There are many reasons that are valid that go into a decision making process. Having to pick one leaves the other components on the floor.

None the less, I want a quality part that fits the 1st time, If I have a problem I want a Tech to talk to to get it resolved. I hate it when I talk to someone and I know more than them... If it is defective, I want them to take it back and credit my card.
Shipping is a concern, unless there is only one Vendor that has the part, or the best part in my opinion.
I have bought from all of them, but mainly purchase from those that are close to me. I have only been burned by one, who shipped a partial order. Double shipping fees and a wait for the other parts... Couldn't you tell me that while we were on the phone?

Finally, to all of the Vendors, Thank you for supporting my hobby.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
So far, with only 40 or so responding to survey, looks like quality is in #1 spot, followed by cost to ship. That infers that most go to whatever place is closest to them.

I believe places like Rock Auto and National Parts Depot have 4 distribution locations now...I can't imagine that is cheap to run.

We need more responses, please - let me know what motivates you to select a early bronco vendor.

Thats not entirely true with shipping goes with sales tax. Sometimes a little more shipping fee gets you out of the sales tax charge so your local supplier gets double hammered. 8 or 9 percent on a 2000 dollar order plus shipping will normally wipe out the local vendor.

OP
OP
D

DaveLev

Yes, my survey is flawed in that it is not meant to be scientific in any way...more of an emotional gauge of what motivates someone to go with a vendor.

I did some additional non-scientific research: I placed multiple orders with multiple vendors with the same low-cost shipping and executed/placed/submitted the orders within 5 minutes of each other. Loaded up the shopping carts, put in debit card info, then clicked submit and switched between browser windows.

While not all vendors sent an email out right away, all vendors goods arrived on the same day at the same time.

I will say that there was one vendor who had parts missing in one of the boxes, which was discouraging. It appeared that someone had cut open a bag with the parts in it and took out a piece that should have been in the kit. That quality control reflects poorly on a company in my opinion, and I wasn't able to finish the task associated with that part.

An example might be if you had ordered a soft top for a bronco, and the front windshield frame piece was missing. You have enough stuff to get excited, you lay it all out, and the most important part is missing so you cannot complete the task. You can make good progress (side rails, etc.), but not complete it. That was just an example.

As far as pricing or quality of parts, I would say all vendors had good enough quality parts and I went with the lowest prices on every piece I ordered.

I ordered roughly $1,500 in parts from multiple vendors. It was a lot of work to set up that unscientific test - and a lot of money - so I hope someone benefits from my research.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The survey didn't get a vote from me because about half of the choices are nearly equal in importance to me.

OP
OP
D

DaveLev

I appreciate your silent protest. Unfortunately the technology used here will not permit multi-select that I have found. There must be one that is more than the others. Hundreds have read this thread (or at least clicked on it) but so few have voted. I think that is because some are mobile users and the poll feature is not supported, but I don't know.

What I do believe based on these non-scientific results is that quality of product is king by a 300% margin.

OP
OP
D

DaveLev

74 votes, and half of you say quality is what you mainly chose. Here's the problem: If you are new to the bronco community, you don't know the quality piece until you spend some money at a few vendors. Now that I have spent money at 7 different vendors, I know exactly what you mean about quality.

In addition, I believe in truth in advertising: If your part is a made in USA part, advertise it as such. If made overseas, ie Taiwan/Peoples Republic of China, please say so. It is discouraging (ie - buyers remorse) to open a box and find what appears to be low-cost substitutes for OEM parts that say 'made in Taiwan' on the bags before you open them.

I have already decided not to patronize 3 of the vendors I've done business with simply based on this.

Also, I now have a better understanding about what you previous posters mean when you say a combination of quality and shipping cost.

I know of 4 vendors all with very high quality parts whom I would patronize again and again, except the shipping cost alone is brutal, and it is cheaper to go with a vendor who does buy-3-get-1-free or free shipping over $300 or other incentives.

I don't get a discount at any shop, but I do know that going with some vendors is LOTS less than others just on shipping alone.

In summary, for me, it appears that regardless of price, because my average order seems to be $450, I may save some money by purchasing items for less money from one vendor, but then add shipping and all the savings are lost by going with that low-cost vendor.

Lessons learned. I will do another survey, but would like suggestions on what the criteria should be.

Combos like:

Product cost + shipping
Product cost + quality
Quality + Shipping
Street Cred + Quality
etc

Suggestions?