• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another power brake question

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
My master cylender went out last night and I need to relace it. I was thinkging while I'm at it I might as well do the good old power brake upgrade. I just have some basic questions about it because i'm pretty clueless about the hole thing. Basicly what i'm wondering is what cars can I co to the junk yard and get a PB unit out of. It looks like I only have about 3 inches of room before I hit the engine. Also would it be better to do a PB upgrade or just get a master cylender I can get more preasure with e.i smaller cylender area? Oh ya by the way I have a 66 with stock drums. And before someone puts up a post saying do a search ... I did and I couldn't find what I needed.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Doc Awesome

If you are going hunting for a PB setup for a Bronco, you will be looking for a bronco. I have yet to see any other boosted system other than one that will fit in to the machine you have. The exception is Hydroboost. If yours is a standard 66 you have standard steering and no power so Hboost will not go into your machine without PS.

Go with a new master cylinder. Probably cheapest and easiest thing for your present setup. If you have any changes in mind keep the alternatives in mind when you go shopping.

TOFIC

t2jeff

Loc.
Playa Del Rey, CA
forget the power booster, just upgrade to disks. For about the same $$ as a booster, you get better stopping power and better safety! Buy the right MC for disks.........

OP
OP
Dr. Awsome

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
don't worry I would love to upgrade to disk. Any guesses on how much it would cost? I don't really have much $$'s at the present moment. as well as what all would I need to get to convert to disk? As for teh problem of not haveing power steering for a booster I'm planning on getting my PS in this week. but well see how that goes.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Dr. Awsome said:
don't worry I would love to upgrade to disk. Any guesses on how much it would cost? I don't really have much $$'s at the present moment. as well as what all would I need to get to convert to disk? As for teh problem of not haveing power steering for a booster I'm planning on getting my PS in this week. but well see how that goes.

Great idea, after that it is dirt easy to go to Hydroboost.
TOFIC

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
Dr. Awsome said:
don't worry I would love to upgrade to disk. Any guesses on how much it would cost? I don't really have much $$'s at the present moment. as well as what all would I need to get to convert to disk? As for teh problem of not haveing power steering for a booster I'm planning on getting my PS in this week. but well see how that goes.[/QUOT

it doesn't have to cost much at all. just helped a buddy change his 73 found a 79 f-150 4x4 d44 in a junk yard cost about 75 bucks for everything from the ball joints out. all of it was actuall good but for about 30 bucks a caliper and like 70 bucks for complete rotors each. and new wheel bearings and new ball joints. cost him around 350 for everything. but if on a budget and donor vehicle had good stuff you could just swap with not having to spend much at all. you will have to get new brake lines for the caliper end and some sort of proportioning valve (we used the one off the truck and works fine) you could do it in half a day or all day if you want to paint stuff and make it look pretty. if you don't want to scavenge you can buy complete kits from anywhere from about 600 $$ up. doesn't have to cost alot if you have time to look around in the junk yards for d44 with disks

Brewbro21

Replacing a master cyclinder isn't a rough job at all I did mine in about an hour. So you really don't need the while I'm at it mentality. Sure bleeding brakes is no fun, but you can go to Napa and get a master cyclinder for $32, then when you have more money you can upgrade to power brakes.

I still run manual drums all around. I just replaced my MC because I hate not being able to drive my bronco. Right now I have a complete disc brake kit sitting in my dinning room waiting a rear kit and hydro, just need a little more dough.

I'd just replace the MC and call it good till more money arrives. It stops my 33's.