• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another tire/engine combo question with a twist

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I have a 71 that had a 200 6cy until I discovered it had a cracked block. I'm in the process of replacing it with a 250 6cy out of a 76 Maverick. The Bronco has a 1" BL and 2.5" SL, 4.11 gears and 3 speed (for now). The beauty of a 250 is it uses a small block V8 bell housing so tranny options open up. My question - would 33" tires be too much for the engine/tranny/gear combo I have now until I can make further upgrades?

Firedog67

You should be perfectly fine for street and mild trails.
Just remember its not how fast you get there, but the fact you can get there.
Go for it and post pics

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The 250 will be fine. It has plenty of power. Have you checked oil pan clearance yet? The 250 pans have interference issues with the front axle in Broncos. IIRC the 250 equipped Bronco I had was running about 3.5-4" of lift and it was fine may be a little close with the 2.5" lift.

MPG_Bronco

Loc.
Chandler
swapping in a 250 block require oil pan mod and oil pickup tube mod...

While is uses a v8 like belhousing, it doesn't exactly 'bolt up', the top two holes need to be redrilled on the belhousing. easy fix.

I'm running a v8 with c4, 4.11 gears and 33' tires, I think it's perfect, so I know you'll be happy. you don't need more gear.

Phoneman

Loc.
South Carolina
I have a 200 in mine with 33's and 3 speed with 4.11. Plent of power for around town and have no problem holding 60-65 on highway. If i ever put another engine in mine it would be a built 200 or a 250. Everyone is running v8's. I like to be different. Put it in 4 low and itll go anywhere the v8's will

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Should be fine.

If you put in an overdrive transmission don't be surprised if you find yourself wishing for lower gears.

hucklburry rev2

If you swap both engine and tires at the same time, you will like it from the start.

I am watching for a 6cyl EB, I wanna put 4 wheel discs on it, NP435, and teach my kids to drive with it. I think it would be perfect, and we can build up a 250 for it later - I want anemic engine, stops great, stick shift as their first vehicle, its either an EB or a Toyota truck probably.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
The 250 will be fine. It has plenty of power. Have you checked oil pan clearance yet? The 250 pans have interference issues with the front axle in Broncos. IIRC the 250 equipped Bronco I had was running about 3.5-4" of lift and it was fine may be a little close with the 2.5" lift.

I have modified the oil pan for clearance. Also moved the drain to rear of the pan.

Attachments

• DSCN0688.JPG
    DSCN0688.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0698.JPG
    DSCN0698.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0703.JPG
    DSCN0703.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
If you swap both engine and tires at the same time, you will like it from the start.

I am watching for a 6cyl EB, I wanna put 4 wheel discs on it, NP435, and teach my kids to drive with it. I think it would be perfect, and we can build up a 250 for it later - I want anemic engine, stops great, stick shift as their first vehicle, its either an EB or a Toyota truck probably.

That's kind of what my boys learned to drive. We had a fullsize chevy pickup with 6cy, 5sp. No power so they couldn't get in a hurry but big enough that I felt they were safe.