• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone have experience wheeling w/ a higher stall?

Jarrett h

Loc.
Le Claire, IA
I'm thinking about going the auto route & the recommended torque converter stall for my cam is minimum 3,000. Does anyone have experience wheeling offroad w/ a comparable converter?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is that 3000 RPM based on "maximum performance" recommendation?
What are your cam specs, tire size and axle gearing?

Running a stock 4R70W convertor is in the low to mid 2000 range. But being a stock convertor it still had good driving force even at idle. Only when you got on it does it flare up. It is also a lockup convertor so you are not boiling the fluid at low speeds. Lockup convertors are much more forgiving of higher stall speeds, so long as you can run them locked up.

OP
OP
Jarrett h

Jarrett h

Loc.
Le Claire, IA
Is that 3000 RPM based on "maximum performance" recommendation?
What are your cam specs, tire size and axle gearing?

Running a stock 4R70W convertor is in the low to mid 2000 range. But being a stock convertor it still had good driving force even at idle. Only when you got on it does it flare up. It is also a lockup convertor so you are not boiling the fluid at low speeds. Lockup convertors are much more forgiving of higher stall speeds, so long as you can run them locked up.

My motor bucks hard when cold under 2,000 RPM, once warm it does well as low as 1,300. From what I've seen a 3,000 stall will put the motor around 2,200-2,400 at low/part throttle. The bucking is the only concern, It would make it difficult to drive when cold.

Advertised Intake Duration: 286
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 300
Intake Valve Lift: 0.579
Exhaust Valve Lift: 0.579
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift: 236
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift: 248
Lobe Separation: 114

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’ve done 23-2500 and been happy. Engine idled in gear at 1300 without excessive push even in low range with 5.13’s and a 3.8 atlas. Heat really wasn’t ever an issue

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I've driven a friend's Bronco with a higher stall converter (don't know the specs). It was NOT fun on the trail. My stock stall converter is much smoother. Both Broncos have C4s.