• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone know about stock hard top hold down strips? John from Tracy, read this!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
For those of you who know I bought that awesome '67 from the original owner in my neighborhood last year, I took the top off of it this weekend.

When I took it off, I found that each individual bolt didn't have it's own individual nut. Most of the bolts on the bed rails had these strips underneath with square nuts spot welded onto them.

Many of you might suggest that these are home made items, but another EB owner I've met down in Tracy (John, I'm sorry I've forgotten your screen name here on the board) has mentioned these to me in the past. He's found them on a couple of '66 Broncos he's had.

As I said, these came off a '67 I bought from the original owner, and I have a '68 that I'm certain the top has never been off of. The '68 does not have these along the bed rails. So, it seems from what little I know about these, they are a 66/67 item only.

Anyone else familiar with them? Only on the bed rails, not along the windshield frame.

Attachments

• IMG_6056.jpg
    IMG_6056.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 194

slowRoaner

Loc.
Durango
Steel or aluminum? Do they go on top or on bottom?

id like to make a one piece version like that. either way its a good idea

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I made some out of steel used rivnuts and I made it so the where attached to the underside of the rail because I have some fiberglass rear panels and didn't want to take them off every time I wanted to take the top off.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Those look cheap. Like thin sheet metal strips just used for assembly purposes. Looking at the spec book I thought they were more of a flatstock piece that spread the clamping load.

Thanks for posting. I had never seen a picture of them. Just a drawing.

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Those are factory. They are on my 66 half cab and I also have seen them on a 1966 factory diagram.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Those look cheap. Like thin sheet metal strips just used for assembly purposes. Looking at the spec book I thought they were more of a flatstock piece that spread the clamping load.

Thanks for posting. I had never seen a picture of them. Just a drawing.

Can you scan and post the image?

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Those are factory. They are on my 66 half cab and I also have seen them on a 1966 factory diagram.

Are they along the bulk head on the half cab? Obviously not the bed rails like mine since the half cab doesn't go back that far.

512cadillac

I have seem them only one time. A friend had a new old stock full top and he had a brand new set of those stripes with the ford part number sticker still on them. They are nice to have. John

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Can you scan and post the image?
Shown by red arrow
blueprint%201_zpsq97q1rt9.jpg

blueprint%202_zpsukrhi4sc.jpg

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
I agree that they are factory. I just thought they served a different purpose.

I was just going to make my own and use flat barstock of a more substantial material.

I don't know that it will matter. But it makes me feel better to make it beefy.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I had some of those years ago along with some other parts from a '66.

I thought they were a great idea. They really don't need to be any beefier than they are - just strong enough to resist the torquing of the bolt into them - which they are.

Todd Z.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup factory....seems I have only seen them on '69 or earlier Broncos.

Blue71

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Funny! They aren't needed, but would be VERY helpful for the front bolt where you can barely get the nut in that far. The illustration shows them all along except at the front hole!!!

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Is there a market for these?
I could knock some out and see if guys like em. I don't plan on ever taking my top off once everything is put together. Other than for maintenance or mods.
But for someone who goes on and off they might be handy.

camp9k

Its John from Tracy...I can't remember talking about this one but I talk so much about this stuff I forget half of what I say...Anyways I went outside and took some terrible pics under my winshield frame and there are two there! I don't think the original owner ever took the top off so I would say there stock. Congratulation on getting that 67! I am still collecting rusty ones!

Attachments

• IMG_20150622_204458656.jpg
    IMG_20150622_204458656.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20150622_204507114.jpg
    IMG_20150622_204507114.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Its John from Tracy...

LOL I should have mentioned I know two Johns from Tracy. Are you the John who bought the Explorer brackets from me or the John that I bought the steering wheel from? I'm pretty sure it was the steering wheel John that I talked to about these. I wish I could find his email that he sent me with pictures.

BR549

Loc.
huntsville
Have those all the way around on my stock 67. It was a honest truck that had never been modified or taken apart as far as I could tell.

AaronWelch

Loc.
Atascocita, TX.
I made some out of 1/4 inch stock. I then welded these in under the bed rails and tapped them to take the bolts from the top. I did not get any pictures of the install while i was building this part. with the top removed they stay put and make the installation and removal easier. Plus should eliminate some of the distortion in the bed rails.

Aaron