• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone using a 250 head on their 140/170/200 6 cyl?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm planning to build a 200 6 cyl for my '62 Falcon Ranchero project.
I'd like to use the 250 head on a 200 to get the better separate intake manifold arrangement. The 250 block is taller, making it too tall for the Falcon engine bay.
I was reading on a Mustang site that the heads are interchangeable with head surfacing to regain compression ratio.

Has anyone done this?
Pitfalls?
Recommendations?

The reason I'm using the tech section is that there are still a lot of 140/170 six cylinder Broncos out there that might have this info, or be able to use this info.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
According to the Performance Handbook, "For any given year since 1969, we have been unable to find ANY difference between 200 and 250 heads or pistons"

bmbm

250 head

The intake manifold is not separate unless it is an Australian head.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I put a modified 2 barrel head on my Bronco along with a 2" exhaust and now the engine breathes. I can keep up with traffic going up big hills (no mountains on Long Island).
There are a few advantages with the later 200 / 250 head including larger carb opening and larger log, and maybe hardened valve seat inserts over pre 69 heads.
As mentioned, only import heads have separate intake manifolds.
Get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook from Vintage Inlines to get the most out of your Ford 6.
Good luck

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Hi, I put a modified 2 barrel head on my Bronco along with a 2" exhaust and now the engine breathes. I can keep up with traffic going up big hills (no mountains on Long Island).
There are a few advantages with the later 200 / 250 head including larger carb opening and larger log, and maybe hardened valve seat inserts over pre 69 heads.
As mentioned, only import heads have separate intake manifolds.
Get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook from Vintage Inlines to get the most out of your Ford 6.
Good luck

Thanks!
I'm not looking to "Hot Rod" the thing. I just want to be able to keep up with traffic while maintaining an original looking platform.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I'm not doing the hot rod thing. I just want a little more from the old slug. Read my post on Ford six about cam timing. My spare 200 is getting a mild Comp cam for off idle torque, along with rings and bearings. It was a low milage 200 and it cleaned up real nice.
No screeming RPMs here. Just a little more power and throttle response with factory reliability. Before I found the 2 barrel head the pedal was on the floor most of the time. Good luck

bmbm

200/250 late model head

Just pointed out the manifold thing in case someone had given you incorrect info. But yes if you go to the fordsix forum lots of people use the later head. It was the same head basically used on the 200/250 so if you find a 77 and later head it has the good stuff and can be swapped. The 77 flat top log manifold head has 1345cc intake manifold volume as compared to the 65-68 200 at 1100cc. Even just using the Autolite 1101 or Carter RBS that are over 200 cfm you can get some good performance.

bmbm

250 swap in 60-63 Falcon

I notice in the Falcon Handbook starting on page 83 they illustrate the method for swapping a 250 into the 60-63 Falcon.