• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle wedge issues

justintime51

So here's my dilemma. I'll be running a 77 f250 d44, with solo motorsports radius arms. I'm trying to set up the weld on wedges, and when I tighten the radius arms up onto the wedges, it wants to pull the wedges inboard. If I keep the wedges from moving, it pushes the axle to the passenger side, an inch and a quarter. Where i have the wedges now(about ¾" inward from stock f150 axle), the back of the arms want to spring outward, away from the frame. Has anyone ground the inside of the wedges to gain the desired angle for the radius arms? Or should I cut the original spring perch some that's cast into the pumpkin to locate the wedges to stock EB location?

1st picture is where I'd like to run them
2nd picture is as close to the pumpkin I can get without cutting.
07f22ea6760eac2bc49188e263449ac9.jpg
62cd1972d308b04a8ae96db39fe1124f.jpg
8001afdd6049a76a98d79d8578130fca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, something‘s gonna have to give. And unfortunately, it’s you that it’s gonna have to make it give! :)
The axle is wider than the frame was originally intended to carry, so the arms, even if not at full width, are going to land in no-man’s land. The arms are also longer, so would have hit a different part of the frame than original anyway.
Whether the arms were designed for a full size or early Broncos they should be the same size and angle.
But nothing you’re doing is originally meant to both together without fab work.

Also, it’s surprising how tightly fitted the wedges, C-bushings, and arms are. No real built-in leeway.
So the only things I can think of to make this work, would be to either re-grind the insides of the wedges to create a new angle to better fit your chosen location. Or at the very least, weld them on where you want, while nothing is connected to the frame. Then put everything under pressure to make it fit. Never my favorite option.
Other options would include custom rear brackets that relocate themselves outward to where the arms want to be.
None of the solutions are 100% “the best“ method.
They’re just suggestions on finding what will work for you.