• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Back of AMP research power step bracket

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was wondering if someone has a picture of the back of a Toms offroad bracket for the AMP steps. The brackets I have with my kit have four bolts welded from the back and are not flush. It will hold the bracket away from the rocker panel at the top about a 1/4 inch or so which I think will catch more dirt and debris causing issues down the road with rust between the two. I am thinking of grinding them smooth and redoing the bolt a little bit to make it flush, but wanted to see if someone had a picture of the back of a Toms to see what it looks like.

Rbuddy98

Contributor
I just installed AMP steps from Tom’s last month. I thought the same thing. Mine stick out around a 1/8 inch out on the top of my bracket. I figured I’m not going to run my Bronco through any mud or dirt roads. I would not have not invested In AMP steps if my Bronco was going to be a trail rig, Those steps are to dam expensive. If you decide to modify that bracket keep in mind that those are the bolts that the steps mount to and they will take the Majority of the weight when you step on the steps.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just installed AMP steps from Tom’s last month. I thought the same thing. Mine stick out around a 1/8 inch out on the top of my bracket. I figured I’m not going to run my Bronco through any mud or dirt roads. I would not have not invested In AMP steps if my Bronco was going to be a trail rig, Those steps are to dam expensive. If you decide to modify that bracket keep in mind that those are the bolts that the steps mount to and they will take the Majority of the weight when you step on the steps.

Hope this helps
Thanks. I live on a dirt road. I try not to drive it when the dirt road is wet, but sometimes just get caught while out and have to drive down it to get home. I was thinking of taking the hex head screws out and putting in flush type machine screws so the gap would not be as much.

Rbuddy98

Contributor
You also can run a bead of sealer along the top of the bracket after you mount them.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
You might be able to find some universal bulb weather strip that you could use to close the gap up. The bigger issue with any AMP steps that I’ve run into is the motor assembly isn’t very weather proof. Before you install the motor to the drive bracket make sure there’s tons of grease packed in the gears. And I can’t remember exactly what the Tom’s ones look like off the top of my head but if the motor is in the tire spray you may want to fab up a shield to help keep the spray off it.