• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BCB Soft Top WTF kind of thing??? Need Help

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice Brian. Great minds around here

I installed my new BCB top last month - I had the same issue as you. Check the diagonal dimension from corner to corner on both sides - the one that fits. and the one that interferes. On mine, the passenger side frame contacted the door up near the top - overlapped by about 3/8in. I couldn't adjust the sliding flange to fit. I contemplated redrilling bed side holes to move the whole thing back - don't do it cause you will just move the problem. The fix on mine was the frame needed to be "squared up". The top corner at the passenger side to the bottom corner rear bed was 1/2 too long when compared to the drivers side that fit perfect (even gaps and parallel with door). So I placed the pass frame on the floor, took a long furniture clamp across the corners, and bent the side frame into proper shape. When I shrank this too long dimension by 1/2", it brought the whole frame into proper alignment with everything - good with passenger door gap, good with rear, and no moving bed holes. Yeah it shouldn't be this way with a $1600 top, but I wanted it perfect. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

T-7,

Nice looking Bronco! Please keep us updated on your progress with this top. I'm looking to place my order with BC in the next couple of weeks and may hold off if there is a manufacturing problem. It's also making me rethink the nutsert installation. I may wait until I have a top in hand and make the appropriate holes then.

Thanks! it’s been a real haul to build this, a common story here I know. A work in progress, also a common story here. . .

I’ll definately post as more happens.

BC Broncos had a couple sneak through with issues but are resolving it. I don’t think you need to worry about working with them. Problems happen to all vendors, and builders. It is very very well built, the frame is anyway. Haven’t gotten farther!! (BTW my issues may have nothing to do with BCB. That part is not resolved yet. Trading a lot of photos and info with them. Will be out of town for a while, so may take some time to post again. )

I think waiting to drill holes is a very smart idea. Not due to issues with the top but just because there are a lot of variables. Leaving yourself room is smart.

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

They are sending me a new one with a shorter diagonal measurement. Will post more when I get it. They have been very easy to work with and take the quality issues seriously. They are changing a jig setup to prevent this in the future. Happened at a new fab site. I work with fabricators in a different industry, this kind of stuff happens. How you correct it counts. So far no real complaints on my side.

NewDog

Contributor
Loc.
Surrey BC
Good to hear you got it figured out. Hopefully it feels good to know it didn't fit because of them, and not you!

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Good to hear you got it figured out. Hopefully it feels good to know it didn't fit because of them, and not you!

Ha! hope it fits well, still a little concerning as the bottom is tight as well and bringing the top back won’t fix that. Will see when it arrives. I will post again.

Hugh

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

So long-story, made short.

BCB replaced the side frame due to some angles being slightly off. The holes on this round did not line up. I'm not convinced the fitment problem is being caused by the BC top. My body builder may have some things off on the passenger side.

I had to cut off the stud on the passenger side, and drill new holes to move the whole thing back. I also used a furniture pipe clamp to slightly change the angle to better fit me.

There have definitely been some quality and support issues. However, they did address them and quite honestly the top looks great.

778BB29B-B391-4154-83E2-C58907BC72DE_1_201_a.jpg

Last edited:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Looks great!

Two things t look out for with the fabric....

The phillips head bolt circled in your pic below started to wear a hole in mine. added a piece of fabric on the inside to help with that.

Also, on mine the seam (long circle on pic) got to the point from being stretched so tight that there's light coming through and does leak. I haven't fixed this yet but looking into some fabric seam sealer.

Attachments

• bc top.jpg
    bc top.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 32

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Have you tried to install a hardtop on your rig? Could it be the body is off? On my OEM 77 body the BCB top fit well. I've been wanting to install the racks that I got with it but I'm working on lowering my rig to be more user friendly to its driver. Me!
Starting to hate climbing in and out of it and looking for parking because you can't fit some parking garages..

I love the color options that BCB has for their tops..

Attachments

• 95127693_10217175228398896_2119331799527063552_o.jpg
    95127693_10217175228398896_2119331799527063552_o.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 31

Lawndart

Loc.
I contacted the company that makes the fabric to get a compete line of color samples.
White is too white and birch is just too off.
There is one color that should be above all, but it is just not there.

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

I think part of the body is off on the passenger side, but I also received two frame sets with different spacing between the bolts. One or both would have to be wrong.
All said and done it is a nice top and I'm sure they will work out the issues they have had.