• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Before I buy the used EB

noah977

Loc.
Hollywood, CA
So,

I just had the 67 bronco I like checked out by a mechanic. There are some issues that raise concern.

I WOULD LOVE TO GET SOME FEEDBACK FROM THE MEMBERS HERE ON HOW SERIOUS THESE ISSUES ARE. I LIKE THE TRUCK A LOT, BUT DON'T KNOW IF THIS STUFF IS EASY TO FIX OR EXPENSIVE/DIFFICULT TO FIX.

This is what the mechanic who did the inspection told me:

1) The clutch seems like it is nearing its end.
2) The front differential has a slow leak
3) The transmission has a slow leak
4) The oil pan has a slow leak.
5) The left rear break is leaking fluid onto the drum
6) The compression wasn't great: 135,145,175,135,150,145,135,165
7) Needs major tune up
8) Needs new spark plugs, wires, cap.
9) The steering column is "loose". He didn't know why, but looks like a bushing or something.

The car runs well and seems to drive OK. Is this a big deal, or just some simple gaskets and things that I can fix on my own. I'm fairly handy with tools, and have worked on a few motorcycles, but know nothing about cars and trucks.

Thanks in advance!!

-Noah

bannind

Not sure about the rest of it, but the leaks are simply the way for the Bronco to mark her territory. Kinda like a dog peeing around the perimeter of the yard.

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
It depends on what the price is.The leaks aren't a big deal and the trans leak can be fixed when you have to replace the clutch which will run you about 500-600 for a mechanic to do.

Rust is the main thing to look for.

tejayandtina

Of those items you mentioned, the clutch and possibly the engine (I've heard of a lot worse compression tests though) are your biggest concerns. If you want to use it as a daily driver and don't have time to lay the truck up for repairs, it could add up to have it all done professionally. However, if you have the time to fix everything as you go, none of the items appear to terribly hard to remedy. The leaks are to be expected after all it is a 40 year old truck. Depending on where exactly the leaks are happening not a very difficult job. The rear brake leaking sounds like a wheel cylinder. Replacing it is pretty easy. The tune-up is obviously the easiest of the jobs. The steering could be in the column or further down the shaft towards the box. Either way, a rebuild might be in order. The clutch is a little more involved but is doable with some mechanical inclination. I'd try to get a better idea on the compression check, ie: does your mechanic suspect bad rings, worn valve seats, etc to get a better idea on whats doin in there. Plenty of help here for all the items though. Good luck!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Dude! Sounds like a bronco in perfect shape to me! If that's all he found on a 39 year old car you found a good one - buy it. Jump in and learn to do these things yourself. That's what owning an EB is all about!

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Scoop said:
Dude! Sounds like a bronco in perfect shape to me! If that's all he found on a 39 year old car you found a good one - buy it. Jump in and learn to do these things yourself. That's what owning an EB is all about!

The worst thing is he's going to look at some of these coments and think we are messing with him.

We are serious, If a couple leaks and a new clutch are the worst things on the truck, go for it. Post your location, chances are theres a bunch of us nuts that would come over and help you fix the problems. You will not find a greater group of Veh owners anywhere. Ask any question and it will be answered, even if it's been answered a hundred times before.

Chris

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Chris is correct. In all seriousness it sounds like a Bronco in pretty good shape. If the price is acceptable, it is probably a good one to learn some truck wrenching skills on. What's great about the Bronco community, as Chris stated, is that most of us are very willing to help.

Good Luck.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
noah977 said:
So,

I just had the 67 bronco I like checked out by a mechanic. There are some issues that raise concern.

I WOULD LOVE TO GET SOME FEEDBACK FROM THE MEMBERS HERE ON HOW SERIOUS THESE ISSUES ARE. I LIKE THE TRUCK A LOT, BUT DON'T KNOW IF THIS STUFF IS EASY TO FIX OR EXPENSIVE/DIFFICULT TO FIX.

1) The clutch seems like it is nearing its end. ($200-$250 to do yourself)
2) The front differential has a slow leak (from where?)
3) The transmission has a slow leak (from where?)
4) The oil pan has a slow leak. (easy)
5) The left rear break is leaking fluid onto the drum (easy)
6) The compression wasn't great: 135,145,175,135,150,145,135,165 (not bad)
7) Needs major tune up (they all do)
8) Needs new spark plugs, wires, cap. (see above)
9) The steering column is "loose". He didn't know why, but looks like a bushing or something. (easy)

The car runs well and seems to drive OK. Is this a big deal, or just some simple gaskets and things that I can fix on my own. I'm fairly handy with tools, and have worked on a few motorcycles, but know nothing about cars and trucks.

Thanks in advance!!

-Noah

Need to know what his bottom dollar is. How bad is the rust? Did you mechanic say it was worth it?
The repairs you mentioned above all seem to be of minor concern. As stated by others, it sounds pretty good for a truck that is, in reality, 40 years old. I'm only 37 and have more leaks than that. :-[
You also mentioned in another thread that height is an issue. Is this the truck that will require a shorter stance?
And get us some pics.

If you do get it, do yourself a favore and get the Chiltons repair book #7140, It covers the Bronco from '66-'86. It will show you how to do EVERYTHING. Including an engine overhaul. Basically, everything on your list is covered in this book, and more.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I agree with all the above comments.. Rust is a much bigger concern than any of those problems.. The engine compression isn't that bad, clutch is fairly easy to replace, most all of them have leaks and a wheel cylinder is a breeze to replace. What is the price? How much rust is on it? What other options does it have and what kind of upgrades does it have?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Those ion numbers actually look good. the 175 is a bit of a mystery. But I wouldn't sweat it. I have had a fresh engine that was upped by swapping the dished pistons for flat tops and with a stock cam it still only pulled 150PSI.

Ask anyone who has a vintage vehicle, they leak. Slow leaks are normal, leaving a trail is bad.

The loose steering is probably the steering box. That is the typical loose point.

Not knowing the rest of the details, the list of what you listed isn't that bad.

I just did a check out of a friends '93 that he just picked up. He wishes the list was as short and trivial as what you just listed.

Punisher

Contributor
Scoop said:

I agree, For a Bronco this old it sounds like its in pretty good shape. If the price is right for you then I wouldn't even be worry about that stuff, it all sounds like stuff that can be fix over the weekend, or try and fix them one at a time when ever you fill like it and still be driving it every day.

ransil

Bronco Guru
noah977 said:
So,

1) The clutch seems like it is nearing its end.
2) The front differential has a slow leak
3) The transmission has a slow leak
4) The oil pan has a slow leak.
5) The left rear break is leaking fluid onto the drum
6) The compression wasn't great: 135,145,175,135,150,145,135,165
7) Needs major tune up
8) Needs new spark plugs, wires, cap.
9) The steering column is "loose". He didn't know why, but looks like a bushing or something.

Thanks in advance!!

-Noah

Well chances are you are not going to find a new Bronco, all seem like minor problems for a 30 year vehicle.

BUT,

What shape is the body in and how much is this thing going to cost you?

Rough costs:
1. $300 DIY or $800 shop does it
2. $ 30 DIY shop $100 or let it leak and get some kitty litter.
3. $ 10 DIY seal what is leaking, Shop $$$, get more kitty litter.
4. $ 50 DIY Shop $150 more kitty litter.
5. $ 10.98 DIY replace wheel cylinder.
6. run it until it blows, start planning on an EFI motor.
7. $100 DIY shop $300
8. see #7
7. Tighten the bolts or color. freebee

OP
OP
N

noah977

Loc.
Hollywood, CA
Price...

Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are great.

He wants $6500. I might be able to get him down a few hundred.

I'm going to want disc brakes ASAP, and the seats in there are horrible, so I'll need a front seat. Also needed is a parking brake and some way to fix the heater.

Is it worth it?

-N

(BTW - I'm in Hollywodd, so if I buy this thing, I would love to pay one of the more mechanical guys here to come and help/teach me to fix the stuff. Anybody interested??)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a pretty good deal for that area, and if there isn't a lot of rust.
Good luck

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
You may want to PM 73Stallion, I believe his name is Ben. I know he is in SoCal. He has done alot of work for members here....he may be able to help you. Good luck.