• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Belt coming off Explorer front dress

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I know from experience that the passenger side Explorer bracket is sensitive to leveling. The tensioner extension can get too far in or out and may require a washer, or two, behind the lower bolt. I had a belt fly off during early experiments for this exact reason.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah, my pass side is perfect...I think. Maybe I'll go double check.

My issue is the Driver's side bracket.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Here, so this level is flat against both sides of the crank pulley and also flat against the alt bracket. Everything perfect here.
IMG_6671.jpeg

Doing the same thing on the drivers side bracket, I have about .171” of space. I can’t show a pic as I already loosened the bracket thinking of spacers behind it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Haha you should’ve seen me last night. I was positive it was the AC compressor and then I used my metal straight edge and then I wasn’t so sure. Then I used a laser and I was even less sure.

Can’t beat a straight line laser. Groove to groove exactly.

Bearings are all new already. Idler pulley is a new smaller one. All components except the ps pump are brand new.

I’ll update after I change the ps pump.
Since I make accesory brackets and commonly turn to 6,000 rpm I bought a laser pulley groove
Haha you should’ve seen me last night. I was positive it was the AC compressor and then I used my metal straight edge and then I wasn’t so sure. Then I used a laser and I was even less sure.

Can’t beat a straight line laser. Groove to groove exactly.

Bearings are all new already. Idler pulley is a new smaller one. All components except the ps pump are brand new.

I’ll update after I change the ps pump.
Since I build my accessory brackets and commonly buzz to 6,000 rpm I bought a serp belt alighnment laser to help with alignment. I was having issues back in '12 when I figured out it was a new tensioner pulley/brg. What a hassle-wasn't even my fault for once! :)

Anyway, it's handy to be able to isolate which pulley on friends brand new hot rod serp aftermarket setups are out of alignment. There is a lot of crap being sold.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I had no idea there was a laser pulley. I mounted a line laser level but didn’t work as well since it was BOTH the ps pulley and the AC Comp pulley. An actual laser pulley would’ve told me sooner but oh well.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Very simple laser light mounted on 3 grooves that fit in the serp belt grooves. Comes with a little elastic cord to mount it but I never use it.

Easy to just move from the crank to a/c to p/s, etc. I used to use straight edges but there's so little room with a serp setup. Laser light beam is small and can shoot between pulleys that a straight edge can't begin to help ya.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very simple laser light mounted on 3 grooves that fit in the serp belt grooves. Comes with a little elastic cord to mount it but I never use it.

Easy to just move from the crank to a/c to p/s, etc. I used to use straight edges but there's so little room with a serp setup. Laser light beam is small and can shoot between pulleys that a straight edge can't begin to help ya.
Holy crap those things are $2,000

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ahh, right…didn’t even think about that! My TFS heads must be correct on the right side and short on the left in order to cause this.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
That was a pain. Had to take my ac compressor off to do it right. First time wasn’t enough of an add, and I didn’t like the idea of more with taking the thread off the bolt end so cut the big ass washer at the head and put a thin one.

Belt isn’t coming off now. I’m nervous all over again to start it and will get a new belt since I know that at least stretched it a little in the wrong way.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Two steps forward, one step back, is still progress.
After 24 years, "finish" is a relative term.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, well, you have plenty of good reasons to have intakes on your mind!

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Belt is staying on thankfully but I figured out my cylinder not firing issue and although the computer thinks it’s telling my injectors to fire, it’s only actually telling cylinder 1,2,&8 so I think it’s pretty impressive that my engine is running on three cylinders!

Waiting to hear back from Stinger about why this might happen. Hope I don’t need to send in the ecu.

And who needs a noid light when you have an uninstalled taillight, haha!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably not,,,,,,,,,,, sorry posted after previous without seeing fix comm.