• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bending brake lines

johnbeck

I installed WH front disc brakes with the proportioning valve. The rear line that goes to the rear axle brakes came pre bent to be away from the frame where my new headers are going through down towards the transfer case. Is there a easy way to bend that rear brake line against the frame? I hate bending brake line but I can't see a way to avoid line bending and battling to make the fittings not leak. Looking for the least painful way, John B

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wouldn't re-bend. I'd get a replacement piece for that side. You can buy straight lines with ends already on at Napa

1970 Palmer

I agree that you should use the premade lines if possible. Just use your tubing bender to bend up some coat hanger (a shape/length sample) to your desired shape. then measure the wire length, place our order for the premade steel line at NAPA, O'Reilly's, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. Bend the new line to your sample. Quality tubing benders make nice bends.

One word to the wise, "make sure you slide the threaded end out to the end of the tube before you make your bend". Yes, I'm sure I'm the only guy that makes a nice new double flare, then see's the tube nut "sitting on the work bench".

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I wonder if you can mount the rear brake line and the proportioning valve, then see where the front lines end up. Good luck

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What tubing material are you running? Steel Bundy tubing, stainless steel or Cu/Nickel (NiCopp)? if the latter, you can usually rework those lines pretty well without issue due to how malleable they are, but if steel or SS, you should probably replace with a newly fabricated piece if the rework is more than just a tweak IMO.

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

I bought the SS lines from WH's when I installed the disc brakes. Reading your input it dawned on me I should buy the Ni line and start from the proportioning valve and finish up at the rear axle where connecting might not be as challenging. Finishing back by the axle I could make all sorts of barbaric bends and non of my Wrencher friends would see my hack work(few would bend over, some grey hairs would fear not being able to get up). John B