• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best chemical to remove dirt/grime from t-case/diffs/etc?

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you guys seen the dry ice blasting? It's pretty cool how clean it gets everything.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I've been scrubbing away on mine with mineral spirits in a spray bottle and a couple of brushes. Slow going but it works. I may try some of the purple stuff to finish it up before paint.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Purple Power is not good for Aluminum either. It will dull it and leave a white film. That said, it's the best thing I've found to take off grease. Pressure washer after a good soak in PP

Tim
Thanks, I never seen that result. A Hotsi (HOT water pressure washer) also works great.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wash Aluminum with PP all the time, and I've never seen any reaction, other than shiny Aluminum.
PP eats aluminum, even simple green does. Simple green makes an aluminum safe version for airplanes. I use it when cleaning carbs for rebuild or aluminum wheels.

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Did the first round of scrubbing a week or so ago. Before and after of the transfer case is pretty satisfying. I forgot to take pics of the rear diff but I'll snap one in the next day or two. That area is a a bit more involved.

I used a combination of simple green, water, paint scraper, wire brush and wire wheel. The paint scraper and the wire brush seemed to be the most effective.

I ran out of time, but plan on getting under there again soon to try and get more off.

And yes, it obviously feels much better driving down the road knowing she's so much better on the under side 😁

hTa52bch.jpg

vX43Xf4h.jpg

Last edited:

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
BRAKLEEN is TOXIC...

"Tetrachloroethylene's long-term effects as a carcinogen and its link to Parkinson's disease..."

Look it up everybody.

MOTORTREND quote below:
"...While PERC is an extremely capable industrial cleaner, it’s very bad for you. So bad the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classifies it as “likely to be carcinogenic in humans by all routes of exposure.”

I have 3 friends now, 2/3 were auto techs and used Brakleen regularly and the 3 of them all suffer from Parkinsons now.

Welders- remember to NEVER use Chorinated Brakleen prior to welding.
This from Popular Science. "Chlorinated Brakleen is even more dangerous for welders. When heated to high temperatures, the cleaner can release toxic gases like hydrogen chloride and phosgene, according to a Popular Science article from 2009'
I remember when this came out in many magazines on the chlorinated brakleen as its popular with a lot of welders wanting to clean up old greasy stuff before welding. But if you are a puddle of it, it will turn in the Phosgene and smoke your lungs, really bad bad shit.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Same here bigmuddy- they implied the non-chlorinated was better for us and it's NOT!!